View topic - combating leg stiffen/pain after prolonged kneeling

It is currently June 26th, 2019, 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 24th, 2019, 9:32 pm 

Thanks Dave W, Solid advice about testing extrication. I've taken a few swims in my Starlight (which has seats) in the Palmer Rapids so I know it's not an issue without ankle pads. With Ankle pads you do bring up the same issue I was concerned about early in this thread when the pool noddle was suggested but the explanation of your system has the wheels turning. I'm thinking that, if on my seated boat, I keep the ankle pads narrow and tie them on a short rope up to the seat through a small hole drilled close to the outside edge it should be a functional system. That leaves them move-able fore and aft for others who might use my boat and typically with thigh straps (which my boat has) you are squeezing your knees together anyways when you capsize (unless you're really good and and roll it back... me someday, it's good to have goals) so that the pads shouldn't get in the way of exiting or causing foot entrapment issues...... but like you said Dave, best to flat water test first.

Ice breaker. I get it now. Thanks for trying to get the photo uploaded. If it was just about my knees I think what you are proposing makes sense. For me both knees and ankles are a source of pain but it is my ankles that force me up from kneeling before my knees. So I will need to raise my ankles off the canoe bottom but I see your point about raising them as little as so that the knees aren't bent as much.

Thanks everyone. This has been really good dialog for me. I think I can put something in place and have good solution the first time without needing to build multiple iteration of it to get it right. Super happy! :D

PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 3:12 pm 

I have been following this thread carefully, and there is a lot of good ideas. I am experimenting with a number of them. Has anyone come across a good canted drop in (screw on) removable seat? I think this work best for me. I am also interesting in the list for the inflatable saddle!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 2:43 pm 

Very interesting thread...I came across these inflatable ankle pads by a UK company whilst looking at airbags...elegant (though pricey) solution... I wonder if you could easily cobble together something like this.

https://bpm-whitewater.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fankle-blocks-inflatable-falllinecanoes

PostPosted: May 31st, 2019, 6:49 am 

Cheryl When you say
Quote:
Has anyone come across a good canted drop in (screw on) removable seat?

You are talking about something you add on top of an existing seat that screws onto it for stability and angles the seat forward?... or something else?

In terms of inflatable saddle I was thinking you could make your own by building a box the same length and width as your current saddle and the height a bit shorter than desired and put a bow air bag in the box. Inflated to desired height... no clue how that would feel...... obviously just thinking out loud.

Corbeau Good find! I think that would be more comfortable that harder foam and obviously adjustable for others who might borrow your boat.