View topic - Solutions for a steep, rocky put-in / take-out?

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 2:41 pm 

Finally got the canoes into the water this weekend, and while it is a really convenient distance only about 20 meters from my back yard, the put-in / take-out is pretty rough. The only picture I have on hand is this one which does not fully demonstrate but gives you an idea. To the right is pretty steep and about 8 to 10 feet vertical. When I have someone helping me it is relatively easy to get in and out without scraping the canoe, but the real convenience is in getting myself out there any time I want without help. And doing that I'm dragging the canoe up and down that slope.

The lightest canoes I have are 49 and 50 lbs so I've been using those. I'm worried about long term wear and tear.

Picture https://imgur.com/IDFmRO2

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 2:59 pm 

Two techniques. Both involve taking paddles, life kackets, packs etc. down first and leaving them right at the waters edge. Method one: carry the canoe down on your shoulders using the yoke, flip it off your shoulders to the side but grab the near gunnel with both hands as the canoe gets to waist height, pause with the canoe resting against your hip then slowly lower it into the water, parallel to the shore. Method two: carry the canoe down right side up, using both hands on the same gunnel, with the canoe resting against your hip, (or across in front of you resting against your thighs but that makes it hard to see where your feet are going). When you get to the water turn the canoe so it is across your thighs and slowly lower it in. Once the canoe is in the water, hang on to it with one hand, and reach your gear with the other hand and toss it in the canoe.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 3:07 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Finally got the canoes into the water this weekend, and while it is a really convenient distance only about 20 meters from my back yard, the put-in / take-out is pretty rough. The only picture I have on hand is this one which does not fully demonstrate but gives you an idea. To the right is pretty steep and about 8 to 10 feet vertical. When I have someone helping me it is relatively easy to get in and out without scraping the canoe, but the real convenience is in getting myself out there any time I want without help. And doing that I'm dragging the canoe up and down that slope.

The lightest canoes I have are 49 and 50 lbs so I've been using those. I'm worried about long term wear and tear.

Picture https://imgur.com/IDFmRO2

How about a pair of 2x4's laid on the slope to give you something other than rocks to skid the canoe on?

Alan

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 3:12 pm 

Build a slide......pic partway down page.

http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/201 ... -2012.html

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 9:18 pm 

The problem with methods 1 and 2 is that it is really precarious it is so steep and so many big boulders. I think I could probably get method 2 to work though so will try that.

I was thinking along the lines of slides or whatever - maybe it will be as simple as a couple of 2x4. I don't own the waterfront it is municipal so that complicates things a bit. It is right at the end of a street. But if I make something half decent looking and take care of it maybe it will fly. I can also easily take it up into my yard for winter.

That slide does look nice and relatively easy to make. And might not get me into trouble :-)