View topic - Facebook page

It is currently November 14th, 2019, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Facebook page
PostPosted: August 21st, 2019, 6:44 pm 

true_north wrote:
marscanoe, thanks for the work you put into this site. Much appreciated even if we often forget that someone is putting in real hours to make it all work as well as it does.

We do forget. Am planning trips in Quebec for over the next couple years and without this incredible resource we have planning would be much harder.

Thank you to administrators current and past.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 12:48 pm 

The question is about the club's goals. If the main goal is to be a repository for information, then a modern website is best. For example, when I am looking for information about location, techniques or equipment, I google it. On this forum, I bookmark the page with the latest posts. I rarely if ever search. In that way, i treat it like an FB page.

If the club's goals are about numbers (attract people to join, try canoeing, canoe more or go on club trips), then social media is the way to go. And the club should have growth goals and targets. Social media helps because people get excited by pictures and quick stories and like being able to comment and like. Those things promote growth in the activity and in the club by extension.

BTW, closed FB groups (only visible to members) do not promote the activity because they force people to join just to be able to lurk. Lurking without having to join is a good first step to joining, which then allows one to post, comment and like.

My guess is that the archived information here is not accessed that often (some analytics will verify that)--if that is the case, the best place for that info is on a web page.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 2:51 pm 

jefffski wrote:

My guess is that the archived information here is not accessed that often (some analytics will verify that)--if that is the case, the best place for that info is on a web page.

Almost everyone I meet on my trips has obtained information from this site either from the route database or old forum posts. Almost none of these people have ever posted or even registered on the site.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 5:07 pm 

Yeah I send people here all the time who never post but comment on all the great info they found.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 7:12 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

IMO a Facebook page for MYCCR would not be of any use.

No doubt, forums everywhere have seen traffic drain away to FB. Easy upload of pictures and sharing stuff with friends and family who wouldn't be interested in joining a forum are but two reasons. However, this forum, which is also a repository of vast amounts of information is so different and so much better than FB that I can't even begin to explain it. Not that it matters, most here understand anyway.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 10:15 am 

M Eh wrote:
As the other end of true-north's canoe I'll echo all the non-FB sentiments. I sorta miss the BB's of the 90's.

I do too at times. The granddaddy of paddling discussion groups was the newsgroup rec.boats.paddle in the 80’s and early 90’s. That was a vibrant international community of paddlers sharing information that included some well known boaters and writers.

It was also an unmoderated forum, and was destroyed by the actions of two posters, a guy making sponsons who posted to every thread with spurious information about the necessity of “use my product or die” (aka Sponsonboy) and one whackadoodle troll who posted multiple times a day looking to argue about anything and everything (Burntnjal, or something like that). Two nutjobs destroyed a thriving community.

I have friends who administer paddling boards, one a club board, one an international board, and I know the challenges they face keeping things spam free and kindly without bias or a heavy hand. Let me add my thanks to the moderators here on CCR.

Prospector16 wrote:
I've offered to help with this site in the past but never heard back. I do stuff like this in my day job - I run a Tier 3 datacenter that is geo-redundant and zero downtime. Have been doing it for 25 years now ...

P-16, if you are interested in managing a paddling website the owner/administrator of the venerable Northeast Paddlers Message Board, which included Canadian and international paddlers, is looking to pass the site on to new management.

http://www.npmb.com/3/forum/general-pad ... s/#p213768

NPMB, like the old rec.boats.paddle, was once a vibrant and busy board, but grew stale over the past decade and needs someone with fresh ideas to give it new legs.

While Wayne “would prefer to turn over the website to a NPMB user who has been registered here for a least a couple years, and has a history of posting” I don’t believe anyone has stepped up to the plate in the 3 months since the offer to turn the site over was first posted.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2019, 10:02 am 

Just another small clarification that while the Wilderness Canoe Association 'owns and operates' myccr.com, the club operated out of wildernesscanoe.ca and the forum known as myccr.com are separately organised and controlled.

myccr.com is a collection of forums and general information about paddle sports. This website sells commercial advertising and collects revenue simply in order to maintain this website that you are reading right now. There is no profit motive, and registration or purchase is not required. The information is freely available to any literate person. This is the nature of the interweb, it can be read by anyone, anywhere. My personal opinion is that any work put into moving this content onto Facebook, will just help make money for one of the world's largest companies.

wildernesscanoe.ca is officially the website of the Wilderness Canoe Association, primarily a canoe tripping club which requires the purchase of a membership to participate in outings. This website does not advertise and operates through the sale of annual memberships to individuals. The WCA does also operate a Facebook group, however, the content is not related to myccr.com as the two organisations have different and unrelated objectives.

The ownership part of the relationship is probably not worth discussing here. Suffice it to say that nobody is getting rich doing this.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2019, 10:49 am 

I'm very active with doling out advice on backcountry FB forums and my general observations are as follows (don't take anything the wrong way - just trends I've observed):

1. Repetitive Questions. See point 5 & 6
2. Faulty or low quality advice with misinformation (leads to many 'flame wars' and side comments which detract from the original Q).
3. GTA centric (if for Ontario in broad scope groups/pages) - not a surprise given the population, but when one asks "where can I paddle in Ontario this week" without giving a location, it can lead to some odd conversation.
4. Lack of experienced users chiming in - Yes, there are a lot of us present, including many CCR members, but the majority of Q&A flow is done by novice to intermediate paddlers (not necessarily a bad thing - just an observation).
5. Destination Q's (Ontario) are typically Algonquin, Killarney, Massasuga, French River, QEIIW and Temagami, in that order (very least gives you a good idea of where people are typically headed). One thing I love about this forum is all the 'obscure' route Q's. If you ask that in a FB group, it will be lost in the Algonquin Q's in an hour.
6. Crown land camping and how to find it pops up on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Users often want directions to a specific site they can camp at. Some of the 'exploration' has been removed.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: September 5th, 2019, 11:45 am 

Keep the myccr site. Its so easy to search and the format is significantly better. I find with FB groups that the same questions are asked over and over again as posters a. don't search b. search function is crap c. there is an expectation of instant response etc. This forum functions very well, everyone has a passion for paddling, and is very respectful towards one another.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2019, 7:52 pm 

Facebook is an open scab on the face of society. There now we can move on :). Ok so maybe not quite that bad but still I hate the idea of being harvested as a piece of data by that bunch of smug faced twerps.

This is my number one source for 'the word'. It's perfect. Thanks so much to all that contribute. Cheers Steve

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm 

It turns out that the myccr.com board never meets. So. Tough luck.