View topic - UNFLINCHING P. G. DOWNES' ANNOTATED COPY

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 9:32 am 

northof60.de wrote:
Alan,
I agree; all the names next to each other - that's not a coincidence anymore. Interesting, to say the least. May be someone in the naming department paying a tribute to them.

Bullock’s legacy? I happened to “run” into it and decided to publish a book around it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/107137897X/re ... 86&sr=8-1/
Carsten

Fantastic. Can't wait to read it!

Thanks,

Alan

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 12:24 pm 

northof60.de wrote:
Alan,
I agree; all the names next to each other - that's not a coincidence anymore. Interesting, to say the least. May be someone in the naming department paying a tribute to them.

Bullock’s legacy? I happened to “run” into it and decided to publish a book around it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/107137897X/re ... 86&sr=8-1/
Carsten

Just wanted to say what a pleasant surprise this book was. Who would have thought that nearly 100 years after the events that there could possibly be any new information that would come to light? I found it fascinating to read these letters from Bullock, which gave a good look at him as well as an authentic look at Hornby. It was great getting a first hand account from someone who was actually there, written at the time he was actually there. And not written for the purposes of generating interest or selling books but rather just his thoughts and observations.

I'm looking forward sitting down with all the books covering this subject next winter and comparing notes.

I also enjoyed the introductory letters, mainly between Bullock and Guy Blanchet, that talked about their disappointment with the book Snowman as well as the history of Bullock and what happened to him later in life.

Thank you so much for going through all the work of getting this published!

Alan

PostPosted: April 5th, 2020, 2:10 pm 

Alan Gage: "I'm looking forward sitting down with all the books covering this subject next winter and comparing notes."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This book has been rewritten rather than written. I found it in its original form in the amazingly extensive diaries and records of Captain C. Critchell- Bullock, full of the minutiae of dialogue and deed. The only liberties I have taken have been chronological, and for the purpose of telling a connected story. To Captain Bullock I am indebted as well for the pictures which accompany the text

MALCOLM WALDRON

Alan Gage: "I also enjoyed the introductory letters, mainly between Bullock and Guy Blanchet, that talked about their disappointment with the book Snowman..."

Indeed, "This book has been rewritten rather than written..." is a fantasy

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 9:21 am 

David- Did you see the pictures from Bullock on his website?

http://www.northof60.de/gall/JCCB/index.html

Alan

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 10:02 am 

:lol: Wow!!! You guys still at it?? :P

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 7:05 pm 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This book has been rewritten rather than written.

Quote from "Letters from The Barren Lands" pg 163 "Fortunately, we are concerned now only ith hunting for ourselves...Our dogs are no more, having been shot."

Starting on pg 240 of Snow Man it appears Malcolm Waldron took liberties with Bullock's sparse account "Our dogs are no more, having been shot." Perhaps in the spirit Farley McGill Mowat.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm 

earlier post: The Land of Feast and Famine (Helge Ingstad) - published in 1931

Pg 10 "Unflinching" "In the Land of Feast or Famine, or a Lifetime in the Arctic Regions" by J. Hornby

Downs note on this page *This title was stolen by Helge Ingsted for his book. He got it by hearing Douglas (George Mellis Douglas) mention it at Snowdrift

In June 1927......The police found diaries and farewell notes "We have suffered terrible and awful hardships' Hornby had written his cousin Margaret. In a rotten leather case, police had found a draft of a book Hornby had been writing. He had titled it "In the Land of Feast or Famine"

https://books.google.com/books?id=eMq0s ... &q&f=false

It could be argued that Helge Ingsted took improprieties with the title with his book, but quoting Downes' " But anyway, there he (Helge Ingstad) was, drinking it all in, and of course stole the title outright for his own book [Land of Feast and Famine,[/b] 193 A leap I wouldn't take.
file:///C:/Users/conch/AppData/Local/Temp/65117-Article%20Text-185147-1-10-20101001-6.pdf

The Land of Feast and Famine (Helge Ingstad) - published in 1931
In the Land of Feast or Famine (John Hornby) unpublished 1927

the choice of and/or is significance

The mindset of using and compared with the mindset using or requires enough significant/meaningful differences that it supports the contention that Ingsted did not steal from Hornby.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2020, 6:05 pm 

Since all the scans are gone. Since Facebook photos appear to be the problem. I would re-scan them if there was an appetite and if they would have permanence. contact me if you wish.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2020, 4:06 pm 

Wandering through Whalley's "The Legend of John Hornby" when I fell upon this quote (pg 243): "Bullock is an interesting phenomenon: He was the only person who ever proceeded on the assumption that Hornby was a competent Northern traveler and survived and survived that curious assumption."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 10:06 pm 

"John Hornby lived out much of his life in solitude." pg. 4 Introduction, The Legend of John Hornby, George Whalley

"His almost inhuman love of solitude", followed by Downes annotation at bottom of page: "No, Hornby never could be alone very long" - Pg 9 Introduction, "Unflinching", Edgar Christian

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 10:12 am 

david demello wrote:
"John Hornby lived out much of his life in solitude." pg. 4 Introduction, The Legend of John Hornby, George Whalley

"His almost inhuman love of solitude", followed by Downes annotation at bottom of page: "No, Hornby never could be alone very long" - Pg 9 Introduction, "Unflinching", Edgar Christian

Which do you agree with?

Alan

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 8:47 pm 

I am of the opinion that Whalley has a stronger argument than Downes. I also believe Whalley to be more objective than Downes.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2020, 8:39 pm 

John Horny has been criticized as incompetent in northern travels.

reading "A Thelon Odyssey" by W.H.B. Hoare provides ample evidence Hornby was not alone in the incompetent category if characterized by imminent starvation.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 1:05 pm 

I think reckless is a better word than incompetent when referring to Hornby.

Alan

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 3:15 pm 

A good choice indeed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8