View topic - Sudbury Via Rail Station Local Ph # & General Budd Car Info

It is currently August 6th, 2020, 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 27th, 2020, 6:00 pm 

Hey all,
Recently I got an inquiry from Dave Hadfield about the local phone # for the Via Rail Station in Sudbury. He wanted to contact the agent to confirm that the Budd Car was actually running from Sudbury to White River, as he was planning his annual winter wander.
Fortunately I was able to get that info from a close friend (thanks Jeannie) and Dave was able to confirm that the Budd Car was actually running.
The local phone # for the Via Train Station in Sudbury is: 705-673-1138

The hours of operation are as follows:
Monday: Closed - this is the day the Budd Car is usually in North Bay for repairs (see Tues below)

Tuesday*: 8:00 AM - 9:45 AM (* please note that if Mon is a Stat holiday and the Budd Car needs to be repaired
the Budd will probably not run on Tues because repair staff don't work on Stat holidays, so plan around that)

Wednesday: 5:00 PM - 8:45 PM

Thursday:7:30 AM - 11:15 AM

Friday:5:00 PM - 8:45 PM

Saturday:8:00 AM - 9:45 AM

Sunday: 5:00 PM - 8:45 PM

Also, it's important to remember that the station isn't open all day and the Budd goes north from Sudbury on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and south from White River on Wednesday Friday and Sunday.
Also, freight takes priority on that line so the train goes to siding and waits for freight trains to pass N or S.
The Budd will drop you off and pick you up anywhere along the route and and you will be charged accordingly. The crew will ask where your drop off point is and where you expect to be picked up. They will tell you what the expected pickup time will be. Also, you will be charged extra for canoes and excess gear as stated on the Via Rail website.
Finally, speaking from experience (I've ridden the Budd for summer canoe trips and winter camping (Deep Freeze) trips) the Budd can be notoriously unreliable so be prepared to wait.. Best to be prepared and bring a Sat phone or other device that allows you to confirm that the Budd is running the day you expect to be picked up and share the above local # and station times with someone who can check for you if you can't communicate directly with the Via station..
That's it..
Have fun out there.. I hope this info will be helpful on your next adventure on the Budd Car..
Cheers, Al 8)