View topic - Updated Guide for how you refer to First Nations Peoples

It is currently September 25th, 2020, 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 8:16 pm 

This is something all you outdoor entusiasts should take into account if you are making moives or stories.

I just saw this today.

This is the recently updated guide for when you refer to the First Nations Peoples of Canada.

https://hillnotes.ca/2020/05/20/indigen ... ogy-guide/

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 26th, 2020, 8:38 pm 

I appreciate the update!

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 12:15 am 

Hmmm, where is "native"? It's not on the "can use" or "probably should not use" lists.

It's not clear enough for me to decide if I can use "we stopped for the day at an old Indian camp", is that "appropriate in this circumstance"? Actually in this case I generally use Native as I'm not fond of the word "Indian" which to me belongs solely to the peoples of the actual country called India.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 1:08 pm 

I have a “native” friend and she said the proper name was Anishinaabe.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm 

Yes that's what the document says - we should use the terms they use for themselves. But Anishinaabe is not a general term for everyone it is one particular area of Canada.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 7:43 am 

I just call my buddies Joe or Qunicey or George, or whatever their names happen to be.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 8:20 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
Yes that's what the document says - we should use the terms they use for themselves. But Anishinaabe is not a general term for everyone it is one particular area of Canada.

To me, that's the point. Trying to come up with a general term is, in itself problematic. This is why an effort should be made with the language we use.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 9:06 am 

So, the title of this post should "Updated guide for how you refer to Indigenous peoples" (because it includes Metis and Inuit). :wink:

Hopefully we're doing better than a generation ago! When I was a young kid, I was pretty unaware of which culture groups of Indigenous peoples lived in the area or what treaties/agreements had been signed. Now my kids can recite an acknowledgement of traditional territory with confidence. As Justice/Senator Murray Sinclair says, "it was education that got us into this, and it's education that will get us out".

This training company, based in Coast Salish territory on the West Coast (don't say "Megwich" there - Canada has over 600 First Nations and over 60 different Indigenous languages), is a good resource for more info, including some free tip books etc.

https://www.ictinc.ca/

Cheers, P.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2020, 8:59 am 

Well we do need a general term when referring to issues that affect multiple groups of people or all groups. I am glad to see "First Nations" is on the "nice" list because that's usually my go-to term when I don't know a better term.

Sadly we don't learn the names that they use to refer to themselves so it can be very confusing. Hopefully schools are doing better these days. Like I'm not even sure what Anishinaabe is - I think it is one of the sub-groups of Algonquins but not entirely sure.

Is there a good reference for what peoples live in which areas?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2020, 10:15 am 

Confirming that language isn't a simple question, one good map, which tries to capture a fair bit of the complexity, is called "'Native' Land": https://native-land.ca/

I just took a quick a look at this map, but it looks neat if you want to zoom in on an area. I'm sure there are more simple maps of the major groups too. Probably Wikipedia. There are loads of resources on the web about Indigenous peoples, the challenge isn't finding info, it's finding the best info that works for you.

Don't trust any single map or other resource as being "right". If you look at a couple, it won't take long to find different or conflicting information.

The names of Indigenous cultural groups are confusing because many groups go by multiple names, and there are sub-groups of groups. Often there is also no firm agreement on boundaries.

You do the best you can and you ask questions as needed.

P.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2020, 10:48 am 

FYI, Wikipedia seems as good a source as any. Here's some info on the difference between Anishinaabe, Algonquin and Ojibwe:

Quote:
Anishinaabe is the autonym for a group of culturally related indigenous peoples resident in what are now Canada and the United States. These also include the Odawa, Saulteaux, Ojibwe (including Mississaugas), Potawatomi, Oji-Cree, and Algonquin peoples. The Anishinaabe speak Anishinaabemowin, or Anishinaabe languages that belong to the Algonquian language family. They historically lived in the Northeast Woodlands and Subarctic.

I've shared your confusion on this because around Winnipeg there are many Ojibway (spelling of all these words tends to vary), which can also be called Anishinaabe (the broader cultural group) - some people identify as Anishinaabeg (there can be different spellings for the group vs. an individual), some as Ojibwe. And then for boundaries between Ojibwe and Cree communities, and an understanding of Oji-Cree, and to know who signed which treaty, I'd have to Google more on any of that.

In the case of your question Prospector16, it seems more complicated because when speaking of cultural groups Anishinaabe is an umbrella group that includes Algonquin people, but when your speaking about language groups, Algonquin language is an umbrella term. A good example of the complexity.

On one hand, the complexity is overwhelming and it seems you can never be confident that you'll get things exactly right. On the other hand, it is complicated, so nobody can say what's exactly right, and so if you're trying you probably won't get it totally wrong!

P.