View topic - Thunderbox / Privy Plans

It is currently October 20th, 2019, 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you dread having to use the Thunderbox?
Absolutely. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It isn't so bad 45%  45%  [ 28 ]
I rather enjoy it. 55%  55%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 62
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2003, 10:10 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I love Algonquin! The best privy pit I ever saw was on "Butt" lake, how appropriate. (It's no fun anymore now that it's Ralph Bice Lake.) The island site we stopped to check out had a privy waaaaay at the top of the hill, had to be a 360 degree view! Talk about a "throne"! :D

We stayed a lot on Rain Lake, on a campsite that basically adjoins the hiking trail. It's always nerve racking using the privy, knowing that any moment someone could take a detour from the trail to the lake right past the privy.

The best was when park staff showed up and we said the privy was a bit full. The two young guys willing dug a new pit, and then positioned the box so that it FACED the lake. Now, in early June there wasn't a lot of leaf cover on the trees, so we picked up the box, and turned it around. Bashful folks we are!

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2003, 10:16 pm 

John Leonard wrote:
in Algonquin we came across a privy box with a cushioned toilet seat and a good supply of tabloid papers for reading. Talk about luxury.

This privy we saw was also on "Butt" lake along the north shore. I think I also did my duty on that one with the view on the island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 7:36 am 

LOL Barbra! I tell my girls it's like the title of one of the kid's books "Everybody Poops"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 8:29 am 

Yeah, that's true Gail, but Algonquin (in the positioning of privy pits) seems to think it's an activity worthy of an audience! :lol:

Barbara

Post subject: Thunderbox / Privy plans
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 9:38 am 
My wife found a Reliance brand "luggable loo" (5 gal pail with fitted seat and lid snapped on top) brand new in the box at a yard sale for $2.00. They sell for $25 at CanTire. Using an old tentfly covering the lugaloo for privacy and positioned not quite so deep in the woods, 7 females were more than happy with the arrangement, especially after dark. I prefer the boombox, so my only condition was the contents needed to be transferred to the thunderbox by the users, not my son or me. fair's fair, right?
If its gets more people out paddling who otherwise wouldn't, it makes good sense. I'm sure this lugaloo will go on all her canoe trips now. now what do I do with the plastic garden trowel I bought for cat holes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 11:45 am 

I heard a good saying from someone who saw it on the inside of the lid on a thunderbox. It goes like this:

" Not enough privacy? Then just close your eyes!"

I thought that was so true. Things are different in the wilderness in a good way.

Don't forget to cast your vote on the new poll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 2:12 pm 

Barbara wrote:
I love Algonquin! The best privy pit I ever saw was on "Butt" lake,

Talk about an unusual fascination! Just Kidding. :D 8)

The best thunderbox in Ontario is located at Al Mathias' place on Obabika Lake.
The toilet paper is always dry, there is good reading material and there's a good place to wash your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 3:45 pm 

Well, in my defence, there have been 458 views of this post, so I'm not the only one with this fascination. :D

Checking out a campsite always involves checking out the privy pit FIRST. Almost anything else can be compensated for, except for that little wooden box in the trees. I've forgotten where it was, but I had one of the worst scares doing just that. I bounded merrily back to the assumed position of the privy when I heard the most horrendous crashing coming from just ahead of me. Without thinking for a second, I turned around and started getting out of there fast. Then it dawned on me: that was the sound of HOOVES beating a hasty retreat. Poor moosy! I probably scared the living **** out of it!

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2003, 2:34 pm 

Richard wrote:
John:

I do .... somewhere in my files. I'll do some digging and try to find the drawing and get back to you

Richard, any luck in finding those plans?
C_Mel and I are planning on placing three boxes on and about Obabika Lake, Ontario at the end of the month. I have a pile of decent cedar I have salvage from the pre-renovation of my house and would like to maximize the resource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2003, 6:19 pm 

Hello alscool. I'm going to get the plans in the mail soon from Georgi and I will send you a copy if you send me your address or I might be able to scan it and send it via email. I think it's fair that it's my turn to pass it along. I am making a detailed list with cost and everything to buy hardware and stuff from the box I built and plan to build more. What a great way to use up some scrap wood. And besides... I might get out to Obabika this year and get a chance to use one or two. Thanks for doing your part. If I built one or two more would anyone be willing to take one on a trip to distribute them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2003, 6:24 pm 

Hey, alscool, that moose looks awfully familiar! Only now, it's running towards me, not away. :o

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2003, 7:27 pm 

John, Thanks, I have sent you a PM.
Barbara, you like the moose, I'll find you one 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2003, 9:53 pm 

If you build one, they will come!

;)

The copy I sent was 11" by 17", hope your scanner can take it?!

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2003, 12:31 am 

alscool, I definitely like the moose!

Georgi, you need a shave. OH, it's a bear! How long did it take to teach it to read a newspaper?

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 6th, 2003, 1:21 pm 

Barbara, I sent you a PM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next