View topic - The journal of Moffatt-party participant Ed Lanouette

It is currently October 26th, 2020, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 3:30 pm 

Well, after reading all of that, for the life of me, I can't seem to fathom how Moffat, this apotheosis of wilderness canoeing, met his unfortunate end. In all this back and forth-ing, the only reason I can see, according to Mr. Jacobs, is because of Moffat's trust in Tyrell's notes. Perhaps I should start an epic thread entitled "In Defence of Joseph Burr Tyrrell", as I feel this poor deceased fellow is being bullied by the living.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 7:18 pm 

This will be my last contribution to the thread. I really do appreciate Allan brining forward so much information and helping to pass the cold winter months with stimulating conversation. Unfortunately I feel we've reached a stalemate. Everyone seems to be entrenched in their positions and and nothing new is coming to light.

While I agree with many of the "truths and falsehoods" presented by Allan in his latest response there are others that ignore contradictory information and some that have no real evidence to back the claim of "fact" or "fiction."

And now the weather is getting warm so it's time to get outside and start enjoying it. Hope the same is happening for you in the far north as well.

Alan

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 8:23 pm 

The dead cannot be bullied, but Their actions can be analyzed.

"the only reason I can see, according to Mr. Jacobs, is because of Moffat's trust in Tyrell's notes" If one follows Alan Jacobs mantra you are correct.

If you follow Pessl, Jacob's mantra dissolves. "... it changed our modus operandi from cautious land-based scouting of rapids to a floating assessment as we were sucked into the headwater Vs of each successive rapid. It worked for several days and many rapids, except for one."

Mimicking Tryell's Dubawnt journey does not relieve Moffatt from using his critical faculties in ambiguous circumstances. That it was of concern is evidenced by the fact that he engaged in a "floating assessment". It begs the question that if Moffatt had faith in Tryell's assessment then why do any assessment at all? There were no indicated rapids thus they cannot exist! It was his choice and Pessl recognized it as a fault. Alan Jacobs blamed Tryell and not Moffatt.

What also needs to be noted is the deference Alan Jacobs shows toward 'Skip' Pessl in all things save Pessl's analysis and conclusions concerning all things Sept 14 1955.

To me, Pessl's

"From here until 9/17 our daily chronologic journal entries ended.
The days after 9/8 were filled with such horror and suffering that it
was impossible to write anything at all. In one moment, this grand
adventure had become a nightmare beyond my comprehension...."

was prescient. It was when everything began to go to pot. It was when "floating assessment" took control and panic took control of "the grand adventure" and it morphed into "a nightmare beyond my comprehension...." Pessl's words not mine. Ignored by Alan Jacobs in his effort to exonerate Moffatt.

Just how many days of rest and other excuses were there that put these tourists at the mercy of the elements that they were so ignorant of until it was too late? All choices Moffatt, as leader, either made or acquiesced to.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 11:19 pm 

Alan Jacobs: It is a deceit that Moffatt had been left alone after the dump that resulted in his death. [DD]

you know I acknowledged my error almost immediately. So Alan Jacobs point out what parts of the meaning you would apply

deceit
noun [ C or U ]
uk ​ /dɪˈsiːt/ us ​ /dɪˈsiːt/

(an act of) keeping the truth hidden, especially to get an advantage:

I never applied the word "deceit" When you said without any proof "With respect to DeMello's later Dubawnt trip, it bears mention that he knew those rapids to be dangerous only because Moffatt had died in them."

and I accepted your "My regrets!!" without comment. I had no idea what rapid he died in and told you so.

Last edited by david demello on April 22nd, 2019, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2019, 11:42 pm 

This "It is a deceit that Moffatt had made a mistake in the afternoon of 14 September. [BT] " needs to be explained.

deceit
noun [ C or U ]
uk ​ /dɪˈsiːt/ us ​ /dɪˈsiːt/

(an act of) keeping the truth hidden, especially to get an advantage:

excerpts:

"From the top, these rapids looked easy—a few small waves, rocks…nothing serious—we didn’t even haul over to look it over, as we usually did. The river was straight and we could see both the top and foot of the rapids quite clearly. What we didn’t realize, is that we couldn’t see the middle, even though we thought we could. We barreled happily along. We bounced over a couple of fair-sized waves and took in a couple of splashes but I didn’t mind, as I had made an apron of my poncho and remained dry enough. I was looking a few feet in front of the canoe for submerged rocks. Suddenly, Art shouted “Paddle”—I took up the beat, at the same time looking farther ahead to see what we were trying to avoid. To my surprise, what I saw was two parallel lines of white coming closer with every passing instant—I looked at them in helpless fascination. (Note: The white lines were the crests of two huge waves formed by the water as it rushed over two 3- or 4-foot ledges or falls). It was too late to pull for shore—all we could do was to pick what seemed to be the least turbulent spots and head for them. I swore at Art (mentally) for not looking over the rapids"

from Wednesday, September 14 – Camp #51 (2 miles south of Lady Marjorie Lake). Journal of Moffatt-party participant Lanouette.
Post 8 of 8. 10 September to 16 September.

It is in that light that we need to view Pessl's entry on page 173 of Pessl's book: "The deteriorating weather exacerbated our concerns about our dwindling food supply, threatening frostbite and unknown downstream river conditions, and it changed our modus operandi from cautious land-based scouting of rapids to a floating assessment as we were sucked into the headwater Vs of each successive rapid. It worked for several days and many rapids, except for one."

One might ask if it is not a deceit to state "It is a deceit that Moffatt had made a mistake in the afternoon of 14 September. [BT]"

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2019, 9:59 am 

To use the word 'deceit' requires that motive be attributed.

Alan Jacobs: "It is a deceit that Moffatt had been left alone after the dump that resulted in his death. [DD]"

Perhaps Alan would grace us with an argument supporting his use of the word "deceit"?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2019, 11:17 pm 

Contending points on Moffatt being left alone and that resulted in his death.

A passage found on page 214/215 of "DEATH ON THE BARRENS", George James Grinnell

"....Art knelt, his hands fumbling with the zipper of his moosehide Jacket and asked, "What do you want me to do?" It was obvious that he was helpless.
"Get undressed and get into this sleeping bag with me" I commanded, ripping the buttons off my shirt. I lacked the coordination to undo a button, but not the strength to rip my shirt off. I managed to undress down to my sodden long underwear, which clung to my skin as the wind turn it to ice. To get out of the wind, I crawled into the sleeping bad and left Art outside to die."

A passage found on page 132, BARREN GROUNDS, Fred "Skip" Pessl

"....Somehow we crawled out of the water, regained our footing and stood silent dumb silence while Art and Joe were dragged ashore. When we reached them they were both delirious, Sprawled stiff and grotesque on the frozen tundra.
Shivering violently, our limbs stiff and numb, we managed to tear the frozen clothing off Art and Joe, wrap them in soggy sleeping bags and as much dry clothing as we had. Pete had got a small fire going and we carried Art close to it and then set up a tent and put Joe in it with George.
Back at the fire with Art....massage, more blankets, a brief struggle and then the shaking stopped. George came came out of the tent and struggled into the bag with Art. "There is no pulse. I can't hear a heart beat" George whispered to me, his head pressed against Art's slender chest

PostPosted: April 26th, 2019, 8:33 pm 

Alan Jacobs "It is a deceit that the Moffatt party was a week behind Tyrrell’s schedule on 8 August. [SI]

You do the math.

Pessl page 129 comports with Journal of Moffatt-party participant Lanouette. Post 6

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 8:18 am 

With respect to Demello's assertion that Moffatt had been left alone after the dump, I provide the evidence of Lanouette for that day:
At one point, George and Pete paddled up and asked if we could hold on – we both replied “yes” and told them to get our personal packs aboard first (they had since drifted quite far away). They left us to get the packs.
And so it is true that Moffatt had been left in the water (a lesser point is that so had Lanouette).
Demello failed to mention that this was done at their insistence.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 8:40 am 

The following is a response to Demello's comparison of the relative progress of the Tyrrell and Moffatt parties.

The text of my comment follows.
"It is a deceit that the Moffatt party was a week behind Tyrrell’s schedule on 8 August. [SI]"
The reference is clearly to an assertion of the Sports Illustrated editor.
I called this a deceit on the part of the editor because the Moffatt party of 1955 was not following the schedule of the Tyrrell party.

Perhaps one item suffices to make my point: The Tyrrell party reached Baker Lake on 2 September, whereas the Moffatt party had planned to arrive on 15 September, with a grace period of seven days before the air search was started. That search began on 24 September, as evinced by the following item from the New York Times article of that day: Planes flew over the tundra today looking for a trace of a six-man expedition. [SI article, top of p 71]

Conclusions.
It is a truth that the Moffatt party was well behind the schedule of the Tyrrell party.
It is the greater truth that the Moffatt party was not following the schedule of the Tyrrell party.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 9:00 am 

With respect to what Jacobs referred to as a DECEIT, I remember I acknowledge that are contending views as evidenced by the two authors, Pessl and Grinnell and that Pessl. I provided relevant excerpts from each for the reader to review.

now to Jacobs latest entry:

"With respect to Demello's assertion that Moffatt had been left alone after the dump, I provide the evidence of Lanouette for that day:
At one point, George and Pete paddled up and asked if we could hold on – we both replied “yes” and told them to get our personal packs aboard first (they had since drifted quite far away). They left us to get the packs.
And so it is true that Moffatt had been left in the water (a lesser point is that so had Lanouette).
Demello failed to mention that this was done at their insistence."

These assertions: "With respect to Demello's assertion that Moffatt had been left alone after the dump, " & "Demello failed to mention that this was done at their insistence" must be supported by evidence. Until then, they are fantasies. Also what needs to be noted was that Moffatt was not left alone, Lanouette was with him

What being "left alone" meant can be found in this passage:

passage found on page 214/215 of "DEATH ON THE BARRENS", George James Grinnellhttps://www.myccr.com/phpbbforu ... 06#p429006

"....Art knelt, his hands fumbling with the zipper of his moosehide Jacket and asked, "What do you want me to do?" It was obvious that he was helpless.
"Get undressed and get into this sleeping bag with me" I commanded, ripping the buttons off my shirt. I lacked the coordination to undo a button, but not the strength to rip my shirt off. I managed to undress down to my sodden long underwear, which clung to my skin as the wind turn it to ice. To get out of the wind, I crawled into the sleeping bad and left Art outside to die."

This: I crawled into the sleeping bad and left Art outside to die." is what being left alone is

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 9:56 am 

This:
"It is a deceit that the Moffatt party was a week behind Tyrrell’s schedule on 8 August. [SI]"
The reference is clearly to an assertion of the Sports Illustrated editor.
I called this a deceit on the part of the editor because the Moffatt party of 1955 was not following the schedule of the Tyrrell party."

If it was essential for an explanatory note be used, it should have been used. To use the word DECEIT Jacobs needs to show that SI intent was "keeping the truth hidden, especially to get an advantage:" and until that is done, I question Jacobs explanation.

As an aside, Moffatt's schedule was not Tryell's schedule.

For Moffatt to mimic Tryell journal without appreciation for the time schedule is remarkable demonstration of naivety or neglect. One could argue that it was a fault. I am sure Jacobs in "In Defense of Arthur Moffatt" has that covered with well formed argument and proof that Moffatt was an innocent in his ignorance or willful neglect. To be continued no doubt.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 3:09 pm 

From Jacobs list found under "Summary of the primary accusatory literature." we get this "deceit"

"It is a deceit that Moffatt had made a mistake in the afternoon of 14 September. [BT]"

On XVII PREFACE of Pessl's book you will find this quote:

The weather grew harse. Freezing temperatures, wind-driven snow, dwindling food supplies, and deteriorating equipment pushed us hard to travel faster and more efficiently, and ultimately we made a fatal mistake. We approached Majorie Lake with caution, without an onshore look. Standing up in our canoes as we floated toward the rapids, we saw a modest current sweeping toward the right-hand bend and drove our canoes into that initial current V.

The rest is wilderness canoeing history. ..."

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 8:50 pm 

So if "It is a deceit that Moffatt had made a mistake in the afternoon of 14 September. [BT]", then was it also a deceit when Pessl said "ultimately we made a fatal mistake. 'Skip Pessl??

PostPosted: April 27th, 2019, 10:10 pm 

to continue with the deceits. That the tourist Moffatt followed his own time schedule was never argued by me save the foolishness of doing so. My "you do the math" underscores Moffatt's independence of Tryell in scheduling. But Moffatt may have ignored the passing days, the seasons did not. In reflection it appears Pessl noted the difference in his book with periodic comparisons

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next