View topic - The journal of Moffatt-party participant Ed Lanouette

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 5:45 am 

To Alan Jacobs:
I find "fact checking" Grinnell is of limited value and using him to validate a position problematic. It is hard to establish a position by discrediting an already discredited source. Better to engage a respected source such as Pessl, a principled principle in the journey down the Dubawnt.

In his epilogue (page 173), Pessl writes: "Our journey was delayed and tragically interrupted because we did not differentiate between what worked on the Albany River what would not work in the late season on the Dubawnt
The deteriorating weather exacerbated our concerns about our dwindling food supply, threatening frostbite and unknown river conditions, and it changed our modus operandi from cautious land-based scouting of rapids to a floating assessment as we were sucked into the headwater Vs of each successive rapid. It worked for several days and many rapids, except for one."

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 8:48 am 

I encourage Demello to do that check and
to report the result here.

More generally, I ask readers who possess Grinnell's book to do the same.

All will find that I represented faithfully that excerpt from GG's book. I refer here of course to the 1996 edition, not the editions of 2006 and 2010.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

Last edited by Allan Jacobs on November 4th, 2019, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 10:32 am 

Alan Jacobs said: "I encourage Demello to do that check and report the result here.
More generally, I ask readers who possess Grinnell's book and do the same.

assuming Jacobs excerpt from his [Grinnell book (1996), top of p 202 and assuming my response that the passage was not found on page 202 of my 2010 version of Grinnell's, one has to assume Grinnell revisited the subject in his latter edition. Therefore Jacobs needs to change his sleuthing request from book to books. Or alternatively, perhaps those with the 1996 version and those with the 2010 version attest to what is on page 202 of their version. "Trust but verify", Ronald Reagan

Meanwhile, DeMello ask Jacobs: "I encourage Jacobs to respond to my Pessl excerpt".

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 11:51 am 

Grinnell's 1996 pg 202 is not Grinnell's 2010 pg 202

PostPosted: November 4th, 2019, 5:27 pm 

The above is a revised version of an earlier Demello post, but it still contains material from my response to it.
I would not object were he to delete that post. In return, I'd be pleased to delete this response to it.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: November 4th, 2019, 8:36 pm 

mystery solved

I see value in keeping my post the way it is. The value is in the juxtaposition of your SI excerpt of 1996 edition of Grinnell 's page 202 and my pic of Grinnell's 2010 edition of page 202. They are substantively different and that presents a problem. In Grinnell's 2010 edition Grinnell uses Lanouette's journal with liberties of course, thus discarding or significantly modifying his 1996 position. This needs to be explored.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2019, 4:58 pm 

FTA: "The evidence reveals every accusation made of Moffatt to be false"
"The techniques used by Moffatt’s accusers"

"2. Ignoring of exculpatory evidence."

"4. Fabrications: accusations with no basis in evidence, in short dreamed-up."

http://defence-arthurmoffatt.ca/2017/09/08/main-text/

Posted: May 17th, 2018, 8:44 am

In short, Moffatt was falsely accused of incompetence for 55 years, starting in 1959.

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 81&t=46739

Fred "Skip" Pessl: Barren Grounds: The Story of the Tragic Moffatt Canoe Trip Hardcover – July 1, 2014
On XVII PREFACE of Pessl's book you will find this quote:

The weather grew harsh. Freezing temperatures, wind-driven snow, dwindling food supplies, and deteriorating equipment pushed us hard to travel faster and more efficiently, and ultimately we made a fatal mistake. We approached Majorie Lake with caution, without an onshore look. Standing up in our canoes as we floated toward the rapids, we saw a modest current sweeping toward the right-hand bend and drove our canoes into that initial current V.

The rest is wilderness canoeing history. ..."

Given that the time date quotes are correct, there is an argument that Jacobs committed the self described "error": "2. Ignoring of exculpatory evidence." unless Pessl can be prosecuted for 4. Fabrications: accusations with no basis in evidence, in short dreamed-up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15