View topic - Scott solo canoe

It is currently March 1st, 2021, 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 12:53 am 

I for one would like to try one. If anybody else does that lives around the Kingston area, call Frontenac outfitters and I think they'll bring at least one in to
their test day. I called and they said he would. I'd verify before going . It's a 3+ hour drive for me, which I'd consider worthwhile in my quest for a reasonable solo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 9:27 am 

Any thoughts on the Solitude? It seems like an interesting little canoe at 13' and 39lbs. Just about right for short 5-7 day trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 2:04 pm 

recped wrote:
I suspect Scott sell a lot more canoes than you would think (and I believe they make a bunch of products besides canoes). They do quite a bit of private label work.

Hey Ben, Scott sells an incredible number of canoes. But what canoes are they selling. I'll bet the 80% of the Scotts sold are either the Prospector 15 or the 16. That's the only Scotts I've ever seen, complete with a keel and as Kim has stated, poor finished trim. So there is no doubt that Scott can make that hull with some economy of scale. But economy of one model does not translate to economy of all of their boats.

Why is this. Because when building hulls the most economical method is to build one hull right after the other, so that the mold gets cleaned and prepped and another hull is constructed as fast as you can build them. But with low volume boats, like solos, this isn't how they are built. That's why solo canoes are generally built by boutique manufacturers that can afford to build boats that demand a higher price due to their reputation.

I see what Bob Wood talks about as being very common among the solo canoes of many manufacturers. They aren't overly available to use, demo or buy. So those manufacturers that have solos to demo, and buy sell solo canoes. The other manufacturers have them on their website, but sell very few.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 2:32 pm 

Rick wrote:
Any thoughts on the Solitude? It seems like an interesting little canoe at 13' and 39lbs. Just about right for short 5-7 day trips.

Rick, seems like the Solitude might work for a small paddler as a tripping hull. Although, I have never paddled the Scott Solitude... but I'd really like to try it out. I'm gonna guess that you might find a 13' flatwater hull as enjoyable for a day paddle, but probably is a bit small for tripping. I've tripped in my 13' Bell Flashfire once on a river. But even here, the lack of speed was apparent compared with longer tripping hulls. I love my Flashfire, but it's really too small for tripping in my mind. But then again, if you can get youf camping kit down to 13 pounds like Light Jay go for it!!

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 3:16 pm 

PK, I know it's impossible to compare based on printed specs, but there doesn't seem to that much difference between the Flashfire and the Solitude with the later being a little deeper, especially in the stern.
Have you paddled your Flashfire with a double blade and if so what was it like? I would expect you could the little guy moving along quite nicely, but I doubt as quick as a tandem with a couple of good paddlers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 4:55 pm 

I own a Scott Sunset in fiberglass.
Bought it at the begining of last year as a solo flatwater boat. Fun, fast boat.
Anyone have any questions i can try to answer them about this canoe.
I have spent about 25 days/nights in it tripping AP and the Frost Center(RIP).

Anybody in ther area want to paddle it let me know and we can set something up. I'm in kawartha Lakes.

I was out in it last night actually.

take care
Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 5:17 pm 

Rick wrote:
PK, I know it's impossible to compare based on printed specs, but there doesn't seem to that much difference between the Flashfire and the Solitude with the later being a little deeper, especially in the stern.
Have you paddled your Flashfire with a double blade and if so what was it like? I would expect you could the little guy moving along quite nicely, but I doubt as quick as a tandem with a couple of good paddlers.

Rick, I've never paddled any of my canoes with a kayak paddle, so I can't comment on that. But I bet Kim Gass can as she does occasionally paddle with a kayak paddle, and I'm sure she's tried a kayak paddle in a Solo 13 in her instruction classes and can give you an informed opinion.

A can't comment too much about the Solitude as I don't know much about the hull shape. But the picture, the hull specs and that it's made of R-84 make me wonder if Scott is selling a Mohawk Solo 13 as the Solitude. If that is the case, I can assuredly say that the Solo 13 is a nice boat, but that the Flashfire is alot more boat. The Flashfire is alot faster, it tracks better, it has better secondary stabilty, and it turns better with a heel. The Solo 13 will flat spin however and the Flashfire will not. By the way that's the Flashfire in my Avatar, so you can see how solid the secondary stabilty is.

The more I look at the Solitude, I'm going to bet that they are selling the Solo 13 as that Solitude. What do you think, Kim?

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 6:13 pm 

Looking at the pictures, you'd be hard pressed to tell what the difference is between the Scott Solitude and the Mohawk Solo 13
Quite an attractive price on the Mohawk 14 at $620US plus freight of about $100US to Michigan (your house).

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 10:46 pm 

Gunnel Banger wrote:
I own a Scott Sunset in fiberglass.
Bought it at the begining of last year as a solo flatwater boat. Fun, fast boat.
Anyone have any questions i can try to answer them about this canoe.
I have spent about 25 days/nights in it tripping AP and the Frost Center(RIP).
Anybody in ther area want to paddle it let me know and we can set something up. I'm in kawartha Lakes.
I was out in it last night actually.
take care
Jay

Aha! We've found one! So they do exist!
Jay, thanks. Lots of questions:
First, sorry for the personal question right at the beginning, but how big a load is it carrying, with you plus pack, when you go tripping? What sort of load range does it feel comfortable with?
How is it in wind and waves, out on the lakes? Does it feel stable, stay dry, track well, not get blown around too much?
How sturdy is the construction? Does it oilcan?
How easily does it portage? Is there a detachable or fixed yoke?
Is there a sliding seat? If not, is it easy to get the load balanced?
How is the fit and finish?

Finally, have you had much experience with other solo canoes, with which you could compare it?

And any other information or advice you might have.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2005, 12:38 am 

Gunnel banger: You surfaced! True confession time, tell all...and is it a canoe that likes kneelers? At 31 inches can you lean it a bit while paddling?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2005, 8:06 am 

The Scott Solitude IS the Mohawk 13 Solo redecalled. So PK you have probably already paddled it and didnt know!I remeber seeing one at the old Canadian Canoe Symposium and as I had a Mohawk I thought I was seeing twins though this baby was expensive I thought compared to the Mohawk. I asked the rep who freely admitted such and the price tag at the time was due to various import fees which I dont remember..

And the Mohawk is not the Flashfire as I have both. Flash is a little speedier. But they dont paddle all that different either! Their stability is almost the same and their secondary stability about the same. The Mohawk is some wider but some folks may not notices.

However the Scott Sunset might be a different animal and I dont know if that is a Scott original design or not. It sounds a tad wide for me to paddle on a trip, but no solo boat should go unpaddled and I would love to paddle one if it floated by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2005, 7:08 am 

Aha! We've found one! So they do exist!
Jay, thanks. Lots of questions:
First, sorry for the personal question right at the beginning, but how big a load is it carrying, with you plus pack, when you go tripping? What sort of load range does it feel comfortable with?
How is it in wind and waves, out on the lakes? Does it feel stable, stay dry, track well, not get blown around too much?
How sturdy is the construction? Does it oilcan?
How easily does it portage? Is there a detachable or fixed yoke?
Is there a sliding seat? If not, is it easy to get the load balanced?
How is the fit and finish?

Finally, have you had much experience with other solo canoes, with which you could compare it?
Hi all,

My usual load is about 40-50 lbs plus or minus 10 lbs(usually plus), plus canoe(45lbs). It is a very easy canoe to portage even in fiberglass. I would imagine that you could carry a couple hundred pounds in it without much problem.
I usually do single carries unless i'm tripping with my bicycle.
Construction is sturdy, no oilcanning.
Detachable yoke.
No sliding seat....my seat is terrible. currently shopping for a new seat.
I hav'nt had a problem balancing load but i usually only carry one pack and sometimes my bike. It always makes it a little tricky balancing the boat with a bicycle in it.
The fit and finish on my boat is a little rough but i bought it previously enjoyed(heavily used) but it is dry and no rattles or squeaks. I think it may have a replaced gunnel.
I paddle in southern Ontario. Because the boat is so small i have not had it out on bigger lakes but on smaller bodies of water it tracks very well, Initial stability is a little tippy. I paddle it somewhat keeled over and i can paddle in decent wind. This is on smaller lakes and rivers where the waves are not big or much of a concern at all. Stays dry on the rivers but i portage when things get interesting.
I paddle sitting as my knees are not great.
I'm 5'9" and it feels like the seat might be a bit to tall. I'm going to try a new seat and lower it and inch and a half and see if this helps.
Very responsive, fun boat but my solo boat experience is limited to this boat so i may be biased :oops: My other boat is a Langford Nahani and the Sunset keeps up just fine and i think the Langford is a very fast boat.

jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2005, 7:37 am 

Thanks for the information jay. It sounds promising. I will have to see if one of my local suppliers can let me try one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2005, 2:03 pm 

I just did a full search on CCR, and found this old post by "paddler":

"Posted: 18 Jan 2002 14:19 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have owned two solo canoes the first was an Old Town 119 Discovery This canoe was great for small rivers but I have crossed large lakes also. It isnt the fastest canoe but you will never destroy it. The solo canoe I am using now is a Scott Sunset 15' Kevlar it has no keel and is very fast and manouverable a little tippy but I use it for photography with no mishaps and at 40lb is light for portages. You will have to use paddles as no means of a yoke can be used.I just love this canoe."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2005, 10:28 am 

NickR wrote:
I have owned two solo canoes the first was an Old Town 119 Discovery This canoe was great for small rivers but I have crossed large lakes also. It isnt the fastest canoe but you will never destroy it. The solo canoe I am using now is a Scott Sunset 15' Kevlar it has no keel and is very fast and manouverable a little tippy but I use it for photography with no mishaps and at 40lb is light for portages. You will have to use paddles as no means of a yoke can be used.I just love this canoe."

Yeah, unfortunately I don't see this comparison as overly useful. While the 119 is a servicable hull, I really don't see it being a "fantasic" canoe. So by comparison, any kevlar canoe will be fast, tippy and light. But there is a little info out there. Gunnelbanger seems to have flushed out some of the details too.

By the way, Jay, can you compare this canoe similarly to any other solo canoe you have paddled?

PK