View topic - 16 ft Scott Trillium

It is currently September 15th, 2019, 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 16 ft Scott Trillium
PostPosted: May 26th, 2006, 9:36 am 

I have an opportunity to purchase a used one but I wouldn't mind getting any thoughts, experiences or feedback on this boat from people that have used or owned one. I know from reading that the initial stability is not a significant as the final stability as the hull is flared the entire length of the boat, which as a rookie canoist this might be a concern?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2006, 11:02 am 

here are the hull characteristics from the Scott website:

Moderate Rocker, Shallow Arch, Flared Hull, Symmetrical

Initial stability: the tendency of the canoe to resist rocking when people get in.

Secondary stability: the ability ot the canoe to resist flipping over when the gunwale gets close to the water.

Flared hulls are often tippy to get into (initial stability). You can avoid getting wet by putting your head in the canoe first and get into the boat in a kneeling position. Avoid the old put one foot in and then the other standing. Your head has an impressive impact on your center of gravity. Keep it low. My mantra is keep the head between the rails always.

Secondary stability . Flared hulls are usually very good for outstanding secondary stability. This means that if you get broadside into waves the boat is less likely to turn you over. A splosh from an error on initial stability is not as big deal as an upset in the middle of the lake from bad secondary stability.

You might not feel comfortable in the boat right away. Go out on calm days, start in a kneeling position . Weight in your boat (a little) will make it feel more stable. Then go to a sitting position. I dont think it will be long before you have gotten used to your boat.

The symmetrical design makes a variety of paddling positions possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2006, 11:05 am 

Kim, thanks for the tip ;-)

Kermode, I bought a gently used 16' Scott Trillium last year. I am a novice to canoeing and probably bought the boat for the wrong reason - price. It was mint condition, had the sliding bow seat which is great for my kids or when I solo it.

How has the Trillium worked out? As Kim mentioned, the initial stability is touchy and has seen me embarassingly dumped more than once on entry. On the road, so to speak, the canoe feels quite secure. I find the Trillium very responsive. When you want to turn, it will turn. This is comparison to the tanks that provincial parks rent, my only previous experience other than a canoe course by CCRA. During my shopping, I came across another Trillium for sale. That owner had a pre-production model and loved it.

Would I buy it again? I am not unhappy with it. However, in hindsight, I should have gotten more exposure to other canoes. Perhaps my choice would have been different and not so price-driven.

I did write Scott last year asking about the Trillium. They told me it was the new breed and top-of-the-line design for Scott but has been eclipsed by the Bluewater products. The Ottawa story about Trillium is that it was designed locally by Ottawa Valley Canoe & Kayak and Scott picked it up. They still sell new ones, something I don't see any other place that carries Scott.

More info, including pics and a review at http://ovck.com/1CanoesA1.htm

Cheers!
Alan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2007, 9:47 am 

Maybe to late for this post but:
I own a sned Trillium 16'
I would rate the construction quite high, it is stiff and the wood seats are secure and clean looking. The long range of the sliding bow seat is great when solopaddling and the bowe seat becomes the stern seat becomes the stern.
Mine is heavier than the advertized weight maybe 15%, no big deal.
Mine has little rocker. It's strength is paddling in a straight line, fast and efficient for its length. Not great in white water as the bow and sern are not very high, on the other hand this helps when paddling in the wind.

It is on the tippy side. I am quite happy with the purchase.
The above post indicated that the Blue water was Scott's product that had eclipsed this. We were in a race against 16 foot "Prospector" that had a fast shape, they seemed roughly the same speed as a Trillium, though they beat us but I can't really blame the canoe.