View topic - Femat Kayaks?

It is currently July 19th, 2019, 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Femat Kayaks?
PostPosted: July 9th, 2007, 8:38 pm 

My dad recently pulled an old femat kayak out of a dumpster and we've been trying to find out some information about it. We sanded it down and put a fresh layer of glass on it to get it back into paddling shape. It's around 13' 8" long and from our guess is a white water boat. Does anyone here know anything about femat kayaks? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2007, 4:33 pm 

Femat was a one man operation just north of Shelburne, ON. I can't remember the mans' name but I think he paddled in the Olympics for one of the European countries. Austria maybe?
He built two different downriver kayaks that I know of... the Ultima and the WWR. You can tell the difference by how they float empty. The Ultima will lay on it's side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2007, 10:17 pm 

Thanks for the info. Here's a picture of the boat as she looked before the repair work was done. She floats upright when empty so I'd guess that would make her a WWR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 11:13 am 

It isn't a WWR or an Ultima, they where both classified as downriver racers. The Ultima had really radical lines. Your boat is more of a slalom design from what I can see of it. I can't tell how much rocker there is so it may be one of his 'touring' boats.

Post subject: Femat Kayaks
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 5:47 pm 

Hi Name was Emil Maschek (Spelling?)
My very first downriver coach.
One of the very early Ontario Voyaguers Kayak club members.
Paddled for Canada in the 1969 worlds in Bourge St. Maurice, France in DR. K1 (37 or 39th.) best place by Canadian in that event till 1979 (then me 25th)
Made and designed boats for both rec and racing in the Early 60's in the Cooksville area and moved up to Shelbourne.
He excelled and river reading, a skill he taught me.
Was one of the first peaple in the world to design kid size boats.
You have to remember back then the boats where huge bath tubs.
The Boat there is his slalom design, remembering slalom courses were 800 metres long & 25 to 30 gates. The first Nationals on the Madawaska (before MKC) the race started above staricase and finished at the bottom of Chalet.

That boat does track well and has good speed.

When Emil taught paddling, like many of the 60's paddlers, gave from his heart. :clap:

jedi jeffi

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 9:59 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys. Here's another picture of the boat I just got from my dad of before the repair work.

He said it had SL painted on it which is now covered up which would bode well with what you guys are saying about it being a slalom boat. It does track pretty well at speed but will spin right around if you slow down. It is also quite fast from my short experience paddling it. Thanks again for the info we've done a lot of searching around the internet and hadn't been able to come up with anything. The builder sounds like a really interesting guy.

Post subject: Femat
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 10:22 pm 

I have pics of him I can scan if anyone can tell me how to get the pics on like the ones of yours.
The pics are from a trip to Florida and the Everglades 1969.
Jeffi :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 4:32 pm 

To post pictures you have to have somewhere on line to host them. There are a bunch of free services such as http://www.photobucket.com that allow you to put your pictures online. Once you have them online when your looking at a picture you want to insert in a thread here you would right click on it and most browsers have an option to copy the image adress. You would then paste that adress here between the tags "[img]"%20and"[/img]" With no quotes.

Or if you'd like you can just email them to me and I can put them up.

Post subject: Femat Owner/operater
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 1:08 pm 

This is Emil 1970 Hudson River Derby
Paddling the same type of boat you have.
Jeff