View topic - Sawyer Algonquin ?

It is currently August 11th, 2020, 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 4:08 pm 

Nah, it's not going to be an issue to paddle. It should paddle just great, and should have plenty of both initial stability and final stability. It's just built for recreational usage, though hundreds are used in APP for tripping.

I've had Swift Algonquins heeled over to the rail numerous times at a friends demo days back a few years ago. Algonquins are plenty fine boats. But they just won't quite have the speed of say a Kipawa. I'd say that the Algonquins are built to be primarly a flatwater or even a flatwater tripping boat. It wasn't designed to run whitewater, but I don't see that in talented hands it couldn't run up to say Class IIs.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 4:59 pm 

My Heron has very little flare..it knifes through everything which has occasionally gotten me in trouble in haystacks.in Class 3..know its not where it belongs!..I can't compare to the Curtis boats. While I have seen some all of the boats are never in the same place together where a comparison might make more sense. Its just that it seems there is more flare when sitting in a Vagabond for example.

What I wish for would be a 3 d shape outline like you see for sea kayaks in magazines..not done for canoes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 5:44 pm 

Paul, You are right it was Conclave. Not sure how I got Canoecopia which I think was Rutabaga's show.

Pat arced C-1's and there is story that someone asked him if he could stand up in one and he did just that.

One of the boats that I thought was a good freestyle boat was the Curtis Dragonfly that DY designed. For some reason it did not catch o. Not sure why not.

No question n my mind that Freestyle could have benefitted from Pat stcking around. The politics at teh time were ferocious with people jockeying to be the Guru of Freestyle. I published an underground newsletter called "The New Canoe Guru Review" that lampooned the whole business. I probably should not have because people took offense. I think I went over the top when I wrote about Mike saying that he and Pat conceived Freestyle in Miami when they were living together. You can guess what I wrote. :wink:

Mike was really ticked off and wouldn't talk to me again.

The Conclave that I enjoyed most was in South Carolina. Great venue and it was an interesting trip. I had a load of Swift boats that i took down. ON the way back a gust of wind caught me on I-95 when the road was slippery with snow. The trailer jacknifed and passed me. Somehow it got back under control (not from my efforts though) and I pulled off for the night. I was still shaking the next morning.

I never thought the early Algonquin was unstable. It had slightly more stability than the Kipawa (about 1% more) which is why Bill wanted a new design with more stability. I don't seem to have the lines for teh more recent boat handy but if I recall correctly it is about 10% more stable than the Kipawa.

little red canoe, if you want some pictures of the Heron I have teh lines although I cannot vouch for their accuracy as they were given to me by a friend who took them off a friend's boat.

They look reasonable to me. Send me your e-mail address and I will send you some jpeg renderings.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 5:44 pm 

FYI, here is the description/ad I was looking at, for a Sawyer 16' Algonquin, not sure of the boat's age or weight. I assume that it doesn't have the keel:

It is a light canoe with graceful action. It is also easily navigated solo. The David Yost design has sharp entry and exit lines combined with a narrow waterline width which makes it surprisingly quick canoe for its length. It has great wave shedding ability in large waves. Moderate rocker enables canoeist to turn the canoe easigy in windy, twisty creeks. A soft turn at the bilge allows for traditional solo style paddling. Excellent final stability allows the solo paddlers to lean the canoe way over and cut clean, precise, arching turns.
It is constructed with superlight Kevlar of S-glass, graphite, carbon fiber and Kevlar, impreganated with flexible vinylester resin systems.

PK, If I read JWinters correctly, my understanding is that the current Swift Algonquins are different (more stable) than the original Sawyer Algonquins.

PY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 5:04 pm 

Here's the ad (with photos) of the Sawyer Algonquin, which I guess falls somewhere between the Sawyer 190 and the Swift Algonquin?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/spo/487419849.html

Now that I have a dedicated ww tandem (Vertige X), I might get rid of my heavy Royalex NC Prospector and replace it with a lighter flatwater tripper, something like this Sawyer Algonquin. Not sure if I can part with the Prospector though, or keep 'em both :(

Cheers, PY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 7:46 pm 

That looks like one of the experimental boats a modification of the 190. The 190 does not have the same midship lines. nor the cheekiness of the ends.

It looks more like my current Swift Algonquin but with a different logo.