View topic - Water Filter troubles

It is currently January 21st, 2020, 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Water Filter troubles
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 10:25 pm 

Our Hiker Pro (Katadyn) is only 3 years old, and it is having trouble drawing water. We have replaced all the filters, lubricated, taken it apart etc., and it still will not draw water unless it is primed by unscrewing the top and puting water in it. Our last one we gave away at 8 year, and it is still going strong. What is going on with this one?

If we have to replace it, we are looking at another of the same, or going to the Virio. Any comments?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 11:43 pm 

Could it be some grit is preventing a good suction from being created

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 7:49 am 

First thing we thought of. It is almost like the liitle foot sealed inside is not working

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

Last edited by cheryl on December 2nd, 2007, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2007, 6:54 pm 

I have had trouble with three of these filters.

The first had a leaking flap valve (in the base of the housing - no way to replace it as far as I can see). The result was it required twice as many pumps as usual to fill a bottle (some of the water was being forced back down the inlet pipe on the down stroke of the pump).

The second and third had a manufacturing fault: the pump housing is molded in two halves and then welded together - the seam runs down the side of the pump housing. This weld was imperfect, and under pressure (on the down stroke of the pump) water would squirt out in a fine, flat jet. You could not see a crack with a naked eye - it required pressure to open it up a bit before it would leak.

I can imagine that air would leak in this way if the weld were a bit more imperfect, maybe giving the effect you are experiencing.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 9:02 am 

The best thing to do is write the manufacturer with the model and serial number (if one can be found) and describe the exact problem and what you have done to attempt to remedy it. Explain to them that you are a seasoned wilderness tripper (of many years....) and that you are not satisfied with their product or quality control. Tell them you have, over the years, been a satisfied customer but this latest purchase is not of the quality or caliber of past products. Ask them if they had quality problems with this lot and what can be done to fix the situation.

Include your name, address, and phone number in the letter. Also include the name of whatever outdoor organization you belong to, throw in the words "family trips" and/or "our youth group". They don't want bad press to reach a wider audience or spoil potential future sales.

I suspect you will have a new one sent to you in the mail.

Following this advise allowed me to receive a brand new toaster in the mail for a leading vendor, as well as other items.

You don't need to come off as a pissed-off consumer, just a dissapointed one that shelled out hard earned money for a product that does not work as advertised.

Good luck - let me know how you made out.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 9:47 am 

That is a really good strategy Carl. It covers all the bases, is compact and to the point like..... Complaint Writing 101.......Thanks for posting it.

Post subject: MSR mini works....
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 10:46 am 

I have used the MSR mini-works filters for years on NW Alaska canoe trips. Incredible product. I have the expedition repair kit as well which will replace anything that could break/wear out. The filter is easy to use, easy to clean, and field servicable. Not to mention, extremely tough and well made. I would suggest anyone looking for a new filter to look at the MSR mini-works. Here is a link for anyone interested.

http://www.rei.com/product/695265

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2007, 10:32 pm 

Thanks all. I did e-mail the manufacturer, but have had no reply. Before I move on to buying a new one, I will take Carls advice. Thanks very much. My husband is pushing to try the Virio - he always likes new toys (until the bill comes in) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2007, 10:52 am 

Hope my musings on the subject help. Letter writing is a lost art, especially when you want to get something from someone. A complaint letter should be sent to governments and politicians. All other should receive a letter - stating your disappointment with a wee touch of sadness lamenting that the product you thought so highly about, well.... let you (family/organization) down. ;)

Providing the detail on model, lot number, and/or serial number gives reassurance that you actually have that product in your hand as you write.

Give then time to reply. But EXPECT a reply - if they don't - it tell you a lot about how they view their customers. Do send a follow-up letter referencing your earlier email of mm/dd/yy. The best follow-ups are actually mailed to the company via snail-mail.

Last thing - If they do resolve your problem. Send a thank you note. It helps pave the way for the rest of the folks behind you.

Let me know how it turns out.

Carl