View topic - Esquif Mistral 17.5 reviews?

It is currently February 23rd, 2024, 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 5:57 pm 

Hi,
I'm interested in the Mistral 17.5 but I'm having trouble finding many (one so far) reviews for it.
If anyone has one (or has paddled one, even briefly) and would like to submit their thoughts about the boat, I'd really appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Ralph

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 11:54 pm 

Too sketchy for repair and unavailable.

Have look at Hellman Slocan.
Pretty close, No?

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 8:56 am 

Ted,
Thanks for responding. I will look at the Slocan more closely. I have a Hellman Solitude which I really like and I found Bob Hellman good to work with so this is a serious consideration. Thanks for the idea.
As far as too sketchy for repair ...
I already have a 16 foot Mistral and would like a bigger boat as I found it tight this summer when on a longer trip. I think it's really unfortunate that paddlers are afraid of Twin-tex due to its lack of field repair-ability. I've had this boat for a few years and have really put it through some very tough tests and it has hardly been scratched. I think that people's fears stem from some of the early attempts by Esquif to install a foam core and the resulting failure of those cores. I have pushed and pulled my Mistral, fully loaded, up some rapids with very sharp, very abrasive granite rocks with some bending and flexing but no damage. It has also been down some very shallow rapids, again with no damage. It has been dragged over more than one portage with no damage. I really would not worry very much about repair-ability because Twin-tex is extremely tough and the odds are that you will never have to repair it. I believe I read (from a link from this site) about someone wrapping a Mistral and then recovering the boat and there was no damage.
The performance level and the weight of the material are amazing. As you can tell from this thread, I would certainly have no problem buying another Twin-tex boat.
Thanks again for the input,
Ralph

P.S. I had no trouble getting my Mistral through Undercurrents in Calgary and I see that Valhalla Pure in Red Deer and Grande Prairie are also Esquif dealers. I did have to order it and wait for a while but winter is coming so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 9:31 am 

IIRC, Alan Greve (posting here at CCR previously) owns a business in Southern Ontario selling canoes and has said the Mistral would be a top pick for river travel. You could try contacting by PM and email and he'd probably be available with some experienced advice.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/memberl ... file&u=461

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 12:32 pm 

Thanks for the info Ralph.
Nice to hear an opinion from someone who's pushed the boat a little.

Good luck with the research.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 1:15 pm 

Twin-tex is far from bullet proof. It may be more suitable for flatwater and occasional whitewater paddlers, but the experience of whitewater paddlers who own Zephyrs has been mixed. Many of us have cracked the hulls. This can be repaired (usually) with duct tape on a temporary basis, but a permanent repair can only be done at the factory. You will lose the use of your boat for 3-6 months, although the repair cost is pretty reasonable -- usually less than $200.

If you wrap one of these larger Twin-tex boats you may have a very serious problem.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 6:01 pm 

Peter,
I don't want to hijack my own thread but I can only wonder what it would take to crack Twin-tex. I am not claiming it is bulletproof but I have not babied my boat at all and it has taken everything I have done to it with ease and with only a few scratches. For my purposes, including running some whitewater (usually Class 1 & 2 but up to easy Class 3) and tripping, the material has been great - the boat is light, very strong and stiff and it is able to take quite a lot of abuse.

Wrapping any boat is pretty serious. If a temporary repair can be done with duct tape then it's all good as long as you get back home. It would not, however, be good to lose the use of a boat for a long period of time.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic: News about performance of Mistral 17.5.

Thanks,
Ralph

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 9:01 am 

Check out the following video to see a Mistral 17.5 getting wrapped. This came from a post in the Quebec Forum>Trip Reports>Lepalliear River.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyCzbMYBYQ8
The wrap occurs about 6 minutes in. The Mistral fared far better then I expected.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 11:29 am 

Goose,
Thanks for the link. That is the video to which I referred in an earlier post on this thread. The boat in the video is, I believe, a "regular" Mistral (16') rather than a Mistral 17.5, however, it came through the wrap in pretty good condition and was obviously paddle-able afterwards.
I wonder if "damianrogers" is on this site and if he could tell us more about the wrap and the resulting damage to the Mistral?

Does anybody know anybody who has a Mistral 17.5 and, if so, would they ask them about the boat and respond here?

Thanks,
Ralph