View topic - Nova Craft Tuff Stuff.Royalex replacement?

It is currently January 20th, 2020, 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 12:28 pm 

True_north, yes, you are correct, it took a fair bit to get past the way they were treating equipment worthy of respect. I certainly cringed every time they abused that canoe - lots of cringing was done. However, it is not so different than how I suspect many people might treat rental gear, even if that abuse is stretched over more than a single outing. Is it right? No. Is it real? I am afraid so.

And, I did enjoy the 'slapstick'.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 12:41 pm 

Loved the video. Some life testing. Some people treat canoes with respect others do not. A pretty worthy canoe for tripping. Good job on the video. I certainly cringed everytime it took the abuse but it faired well.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 3:06 pm 

I loved that the video answered the questions we (as a paddling community) have been asking. No one treats there canoe like this but its good to know that it will stand up a great deal of punishment as we all want to make it home from our trips

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 5:12 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I had a bit of a hard time watching it, too, but I recognized the fact that the whole point was to test the canoe in real life, and in extreme circumstances.

A bit disappointed in the editing after the "first wrap". I would have liked to have seen the canoe being removed from the rock, etc.

Made the mistake of showing the video to the hubby.

Verdict: "want!"

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 5:34 pm 

Hard time watching it? Seriously? The thing about royalex is that it has been around for awhile and we know what to expect from it. These new materials are just that...new. Videos like this help put my mind at ease...sort of...in that the material may be an adequate replacement. I say sort of because we know how a 10+year old royalex boat will perform...we won't know that about a new material.

I just bought a brand new royalex boat while I still could. This new material along with t-formex may be superior to royalex but at least I know what to expect from royalex and there is comfort in that. So fingers crossed my current boats last me 10 years and by then I will know what to expect from these new materials.

I do not own a Nova Craft boat...yet. But I am very impressed with their marketing. How many other big name canoe companies are posting videos of their canoes being tormented to gain insight on performance and durability? And if other canoe companies are posting such videos then how come I have not seen them? This would be the site to post such vids.

Great work Tim!!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 6:39 pm 

Ouch. I think they have the name right. Just a little duct tape :doh: and she'll be as good as new. Love to see the boat in person.
Does MEC still have it?
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 7:50 am 

Doubles as a sleeping platform?
Is it a good idea to be downstream of a pinned canoe?

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 1:10 pm 

I agree about standing downstream of a pinned canoe.

That aside I finally took a look at the video. Yes it is hard to watch the abuse but that said I appreciate the sacrifice of one canoe. To determine if the material is worth putting into a many canoes in the future it is part of the test. What did concern me is after the abuse it did seem to "oil can" quite easily in the clips at the end of the video. Now I also admit that I have not seen a weight for this material so that leads me to the question, how similar is this to the Old Town material in the Discovery series? I would like to see a cut cross section of this material.

It is hard to let go of Royalex and Royal-lite but I know economics dictates the need for its demise. Replacement is necessary but not with an inferior product. I have my Royalex canoes but I hope there is a future in canoeing for future generations (of course they may have to live off of our used canoes--lol).

Dam our politicians, not our rivers.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 1:40 pm 

Ok color me embarrassed. I dropped back and re-read the other TuffStuff posts. Accordingly it is lighter than Royalex but probably heavier than the Roylal-lite materials. Tim gives an excellent technical description of the material. The oil caning at the end of the video still concerns me so I guess the lesson there is to learn how to paddle your canoe so that you don't broach it.

Dam our politicians, not our rivers.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 7:05 pm 

The final scenes obviously show the hull has hinged along the foldlines from when it has wrapped, so that the resin has completely given way but the cloth is still holding the hull together .This is just what you need for get you home toughness. I have heard of this happening with kevlar boats too so it is not an exclusive property of this fabric but it sounds like Innegra can stand many more wraps before it tears.
Still gonna need a lot of work though! But perhaps we were often fooled when Royalex was bent? The outer vinyl skin probably obscured much of the damage to the ABS layer.
I am almost as interested in how this new formula gel-coat is holding up, as to be honest this is where most of the damage occurs for the majority of paddlers. How much more abrasion resistant is it than "std." gel coat?

Slightly confused by the downstream/upstream comments. Upstream (like they were) is bad). If you slip you can get pulled under the canoe, just like being upstream of a strainer. Or was that what was meant by the comments.

Now the big question. Are you going to build your WW hulls in this stuff?

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 2:44 pm 

I have merged two separate Forum threads. All posts from February 11th, 2015 - February 13th, 2015 were previously contained in the topic "Nova Craft TuffStuff - Real World". The original post and subsequent comments in the "Nova Craft TuffStuff - Real World" thread relate directly to questions and comments in this thread.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 11:38 pm 

Great response, thanks Tim! I think the new Tuff Stuff material is great and agree although it is not the complete replacement of Royalex some folks will need it is still an excellent addition to canoe building materials and will have a very welcome home in the river tripping genre.

Thanks again for taking the time to share that information.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 5:10 pm 

So I stopped by MEC in Calgary today and asked to see said Tuff Stuff boat.
First I looked at a new TS boat 16' Prospector. Much sharper entry lines than an ABS R lite boat (which is to be expected). The outer skin isn't anything special no carbon fibre look just plain red. 55# roughly what my R lite boat is I think.
I got to see the boat in all it's beat up form. The outer skin(gel coat?) is cracked where they beat on it. In fact it looks like huge long stitch lines on Frankestein. Serious oilcanning on the bottom.
Inside there are obvious fractures but none of the cracks came right through. Gunnels are fine no dings or crimps, seat, yoke and thwarts are intact.
You could paddle this sucker home is you've wrapped it and gotten it off.
It's not pretty and I wonder if it could be brought back to life.
Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 8:00 pm 

Just seen the prices on the MEC website.

Out of my price range I'm afraid for a new solo boat. I was thinking about a Supernova (though I really want something shorter) but at $3000 after taxes I'd be sleeping in the dog house for some time if I spent that kind of money!

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 8:49 am 

Pretty good article

Quote:
...Canoe & Kayak Magazine called Nova Craft’s TuffStuff canoes one of the hits of last week’s Canoecopia, the annual Wisconsin show that attracted 21,000 paddling aficionados.

“We did really well at the show,” said Nova Craft president Tim Miller. “This is a pretty successful launch.”

Miller said the TuffStuff canoes are selling “like pancakes at the sugar bush,” and faster than they can be produced at the Nightingale Ave. facility in east London.

Canoecopia organizer and self-described “canoe evangelist” Darren Bush said from Wisconsin that Nova Craft was a magnet at the show, largely because of the TuffStuff innovation.

“Nova Craft killed it” in both consumer interest and sales volume, said Bush, who owns Rutabaga Paddlesports in Madison...

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/03/24/resilient-new-canoe-from-nova-craft-praised-at-us-show

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next