View topic - Pictures of your DIY truck rack?

It is currently August 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 15th, 2015, 6:52 am 

Hello,

I am interested to see photos of your home made truck racks for canoe transport. I intend to build my own and am gathering ideas. I am not really interested in purchasing ladder racks since aside from occasional canoe trip I won't need racks at all. My considerations are
  • full size Crew Cab (2015 Ram) so box is only 6 feet long; one option I'm considering is building the rear rack only and using Thule or similar bar on cab roof
  • want to be able to close tonneau cover which is mounted between bed rails - stake pockets are available for the rack
  • want to retain towing ability so hitch receiver must remain available
  • capable of carrying 2 canoes
  • reasonably easy to remove and store
  • comfortable working with wood, willing to consider paying for fabrication of any metal components but can't do that myself

Over the years I have seen some very clever rigs in access point parking lots so I'm hoping to learn from you!

Thanks

PostPosted: July 15th, 2015, 9:02 am 

Quote:
...one option I'm considering is building the rear rack only and using Thule or similar bar on cab roof.

During the 80s I used something similar, a removable gutter-clamp type bar over the cab roof and a rear rack bolted onto the end of the truck box... this worked very well with canoe very secure and stable. The rear rack was made by bolting together spruce lumber and then fiberglassing the entire thing and painting for a finished look... strong and durable as well.

I now have another truck with a cap mounted over the box and the roof racks are at the front and end of the cap. This is a shorter distance between racks than the above and the canoe shakes and moves around a little more, because of the shorter rack base. Partially solved by using two ropes attached to under-the-hood tiedown loops to keep the bow secure.

Sorry, I don't have photos of the old system but if you are thinking of using a Thule bar, this will probably work out OK. I would have used a gutter-clamp bar again if only trucks still were made with rain gutters these days... good luck.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2015, 8:05 am 

Not my truck, but following is a pic of the rig a friend made for our little trip to Killarney. Crude but it worked with zero issues and probably costed south of $20:

PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 6:47 am 

Thanks Realstone. That is intriguing. I assume that foam blocks or single bar rack were used on the cab roof in conjunction with the 2x4 rig?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 8:05 am 

Foam blocks on the roof I believe.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2015, 7:30 pm 

Here's my DIY rack, Image

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 6:51 pm 

My DIY rack

PostPosted: August 5th, 2015, 9:55 pm 

This is what I did with my Ranger. Made of 2x4's with 2x6 cross-members. I had to plane down the ends of the verticals where they fit into the sockets on the truck bed. The front one had a big right-angle bracket bolted to the top edge of the bed frame; the back one just dropped in to the sockets on the bed rail. Not as pretty as Abenakirgn's or as beefy as Robin's. Simple and effective though.

Attachment:
Canoe Rack.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_2004.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.