View topic - Treating Tents With Permethrin-an idea whose time has come?

It is currently July 20th, 2019, 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 3:15 pm 

Treating tents with permethrin – an idea whose time has come?

A recent Consumer Reports article on the effectiveness of permetrhin-treated shirts made a point that passed me by the first couple of times I read it. The point was that clothing treated with permethrin creates a zone of protection in its immediate area and was especially effective if the wearer was stationary - and less so if the person were on the move.

Stationary would certainly be true of a tent sitting in one spot for at least half of each day on a canoe trip. The result: the area around the tent would see a dramatic decrease in mosquito activity, including potential bites. Dawn and dusk are the worst times for mosquitos – and that is also when getting in and out of tents is most common. The treated tent would have a cone of protection around it. Sawyer says this about applying its .5% spray -

Quote:
If you treat your tent, you can expect full potency for up to 40 days of direct sunlight. This is a great way to give your entire campsite a barrier of protection

There is already a tent-making company – Wenzel – which sells a line of tents pre-treated with permethrin. It calls its treatment “Insect Armour”. You can find out more on their web site

https://wenzelco.com/insect-armour/

A BWCA poster who goes by the name Canoekev provides positive anecdotal evidence for the use of permethrin on tents. Check out his post and the resulting discussion here -

http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseactio ... 5&confID=1

Canoekev mentions that after initially using a commercial product like Sawyers he ended up making his own permethrin spray by diluting agricultural grade stuff.

So – what do you think? Is it time for canoe trippers to add their tents to the list of gear and clothing they treat with permethrin? Are we looking at a useful way to make life in the bush more comfortable or just an unnecessary use of yet more chemicals?

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 3:29 pm 

Interesting idea, though I'd be curious about the heath effects of sleeping in a treated tent night after night.

I typically only use bug repellent when things get particularly bad, and even then I use it sparingly. A permethrin treated tent wouldn't be a major selling feature for me.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 4:03 pm 

I guess the question would be what exactly this means:

Quote:
clothing treated with permethrin creates a zone of protection in its immediate area and was especially effective if the wearer was stationary - and less so if the person were on the move.

Does it mean permethrin works similar to repellent and that the bugs smell it and stay away? Or does it mean that if you sit still the mosquitoes in your immediate area have been killed off by landing on your treated clothing; hence, there are less of them. And if it's the second scenario how many will land on your unoccupied tent to be killed?

I finally broke down and bought a permethrin treated shirt this year; haven't tried it yet. I don't know if I could bring myself to soak a tent or tarp in it knowing how many insects besides biting flies and mosquitoes land on them.

Alan

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 4:58 pm 

Permethrin is an insecticide not a repellent. Its a neurotoxin too which makes me think if there are cumulative effects of always being in contact with it

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 9:22 am 

Just for info:
for years now
standard head lice treatment is 1% topical permethrin
standard scabies treatment is 5% topical permethrin
clothing impregnated .5% solution used by most militaries world-wide
pre-soaked mosquito nets in developing countries .5% solution
Pre-soaked mosquito nets and impregnated clothing .5% solution recommended by Canadian, U.S. British, Australian and many other governments.

Permethrin generated problems almost non-existent.
Lyme disease problems extremely high.