View topic - YA New canoe recommendation. If budget was not an issue...

It is currently July 21st, 2019, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 12:47 pm 

Hello,

I'm looking for a 15ish ft Canoe.
A little overwhelmed with options, so rather get some suggestions.

- Mostly lakes with long seated paddling stretches
- Long portages
- Should work for both tandem and solo
- Don't have to baby it
- As light as possible
- Not too concerned about budget

Thanks in advance!

PS: currently have a Ally 811, great Canoe, specially on rougher water and for transport. But on the heavier side.

-------------
UPDATE:

Runner ups:

- Keewaydin 16 Kevlar Fusion
- H2O's Edge 16 EPS

Do you have one of these? Thoughts?
Are you selling yours?

Last edited by rnvk on October 3rd, 2017, 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 7:03 pm 

Doesn't exist
Tandem/solo combis have space limitations. And are not 15 feet. Dedicated tripping solos are usually 15 feet
Tandems in that length are by necessity wide . Combos are 16 foot and over Combis and small tandems like the Morningstar require a small tandem team
15 feet is short for tandem tripping unless you pack extremely lightly
Most canoes can be fitted with seats that are hung to your preferences
I'm not sure the Swift Mattawa is still made it's a small tandem

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 9:12 pm 

Carbon fiber is the lightest and most expensive but Kevlar is very commonly used for 'ambitious' tripping. I have seen trippers use a 15 ft but it would not be my choice---likely to end up with stacked up gear making for a less stable canoe.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 8:02 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Doesn't exist
Tandem/solo combis have space limitations. And are not 15 feet. Dedicated tripping solos are usually 15 feet
Tandems in that length are by necessity wide . Combos are 16 foot and over Combis and small tandems like the Morningstar require a small tandem team
15 feet is short for tandem tripping unless you pack extremely lightly
Most canoes can be fitted with seats that are hung to your preferences
I'm not sure the Swift Mattawa is still made it's a small tandem

We are extra light packers, most of the weight is food. I thought some of the combis could have the middle seat removed. But good to know what I want doesn't exist!

Now need to find the solution.

What about a symmetric hull where it can be inverted to solo? something like the swift prospector 15

wotrock wrote:
Carbon fiber is the lightest and most expensive but Kevlar is very commonly used for 'ambitious' tripping. I have seen trippers use a 15 ft but it would not be my choice---likely to end up with stacked up gear making for a less stable canoe.

Any experience with the Swift carbon fusion?

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 9:11 am 

Swift Prospector= 2 packs and 2 back packs- boat was 33 lb. Handled well, but we packed light. How about a Bob Special (H20 or Nova Craft)?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 9:36 am 

cheryl wrote:
Swift Prospector= 2 packs and 2 back packs- boat was 33 lb. Handled well, but we packed light. How about a Bob Special (H20 or Nova Craft)?

Interesting, that's about as much stuff as we take for a 3-5 day trip.

H20 Bob Special looks very interesting, I need to find a place near Toronto to test out that shoe keel. Also, I wonder if they sell without all that branding on it.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 9:59 am 

rnvk wrote:
Any experience with the Swift carbon fusion?
[/quote]

No. I have a Kevlar Novacraft Tripper 16' and has served quite well as a tandem tripping canoe. No solo trips

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 4:12 pm 

Symmetrical boats work best ( like Prospectors mostly) for paddling solo from backwards on the bow seat.. However steering that is like steering a shopping cart from the front end.. The bow is relatively fixed. True solos have a center seat which gives you better control.
Be sure that wnen you do this the hull is symmetrical too in shape otherwise the new bow might dig in. Real bows are commonly flared but sterns more tucked.

Try the shopping basket thing on any day other than senior citizens discount day. Its not regarded kindly when you wipe out people on mobility scooters..
Like I did accidentally.

We did trip with a Grumman 15 footer for 18 years. finally we got tired of its 70 lbs and bathtub shape. We did 5 day trips.. Other than food the requirements for a two day trip and ten day are pretty much the same.

As for removing center seat you have to have something to keep the gunwales from curling inward.. So you have to at least replace with a thwart. It is doable.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2017, 5:21 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Symmetrical boats work best ( like Prospectors mostly) for paddling solo from backwards on the bow seat..

I suspect that some other symmetrical canoes might work better than the "prospector" type. AIUI the "prospector" is a load carrier with maneuverability: rocker and relatively full "cheeks" bow and stern to increase capacity and reduce the amount it plunges into waves (hence its popularity for river travel). Other such as the Bob Special (15') or Keewaydin (Swift, various lengths) or many others might work better solo and paddling "backward." They have less rocker and some are less full on the quarters ("cheeks" above) and so ISTM should track better even when relatively lightly loaded. ??

PostPosted: September 30th, 2017, 10:25 am 

vpsoccer wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
Symmetrical boats work best ( like Prospectors mostly) for paddling solo from backwards on the bow seat..

I suspect that some other symmetrical canoes might work better than the "prospector" type. AIUI the "prospector" is a load carrier with maneuverability: rocker and relatively full "cheeks" bow and stern to increase capacity and reduce the amount it plunges into waves (hence its popularity for river travel). Other such as the Bob Special (15') or Keewaydin (Swift, various lengths) or many others might work better solo and paddling "backward." They have less rocker and some are less full on the quarters ("cheeks" above) and so ISTM should track better even when relatively lightly loaded. ??

I wish they made a Keewaydin in 15'

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 11:17 am 

Take a look at the dimensions and features of a Wenonah Solo Plus. It is working for me and my wife tandem, as well as for me solo. Look closely at the dimensions and the degree of tumblehome. I can even use a kayak paddle from the centre seat nicely. OAL is 16.5 feet. Mine weighs 42.X lb with extra options on it.

Jim G

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 1:48 pm 

You asked...

Savage River Canoes, Deep Creek model in light carbon.
...and if you don't like it I'll meet you at the border to take it off your hands.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 3:46 pm 

As I read your criteria and wishes some thoughts: using one canoe to accomplish two different goals is tough at best. Using a short canoe with two people in it in rough weather presents some serious safety issues. I will make no bad jokes about life insurance on paddling partners.
1) do you have room to store 2 canoes?
2) since money is not a limiting option, why not look at two canoes. There are used ones available and, of course, new ones.
3) canoeists never have enough canoes, just ask littleredcanoe

Dam our politicians, not our rivers.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 4:42 pm 

Here's an option

https://kisseynewcanoecompany.com/canoe ... ng-canoes/

they make a couple sub 16.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm 

rnvk wrote:
I wish they made a Keewaydin in 15'

Have you called Swift and asked them if they would do a 1 off of a 15' Kee outfitted with tandem seats a centre kneeling thwart and a removal yoke? They have been know to do things like this before so the answer might surprise you.