View topic - YA New canoe recommendation. If budget was not an issue...

It is currently August 12th, 2020, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2017, 7:33 am 

If budget is not an issue, you need two different canoes. Check out the several solo models from Placidboatworks, and the Ohneka as a tandem.
http://placidboatworks.com
http://placidboatworks.com/ohneka.html

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2017, 9:01 am 

Thanks everyone, so much to choose from. Will do some reading on these options.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2017, 9:24 am 

Nova Craft PAL

Enough capacity for two light trippers. Symmetrical, so can be paddled backwards from the bow seat. It is narrower then most tandem boats, which helps reaching the water when paddled solo. It is also less deep then some models, which helps solo when fighting wind. Lots of layup options to meet your weight and "toughness" requirements. Bill Mason often paddled a Chestnut PAL solo.

H2O Peterborough may work as well, but I would want to try before you buy. 31" seems narrow for tandem use.

Try the Wennonah Solo Plus before you buy as well. I paddled one last week and didn't really care for it solo. Tandem is was very fast, but you would need to be a very small team and pack very light to trip in it.

Or if money and space aren't a problem, get two canoes as suggested. That is really the ultimate solution.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2017, 9:51 am 

While you are at Lake Placid viewing the Placidboat line, it is not terribly far to Hornbeck boats in Olmsteadville NY. Check out the Nomad solo/tandem line.
http://www.hornbeckboats.com/boats_st_16.php

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 9:20 am 

Storage of two canoes is the problem. I'm chatting with Swift about the Keewaydin 16.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 1:02 pm 

Anyone had experience with H2O's Edge 16?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 12:44 pm 

I have no experience with the H2O Edge 16, but the specs say that it has a flared hull. This means it is widest at the gunnels. My Kipawa is a flared hull and it makes it hard to reach the water when paddled solo from the centre, though I have used it for solo trips. Yes, I can lean it and paddle it Canadian style, but I wouldn't say it is the ideal solo hull shape.

I did a 4 day solo trip last year in a Keewaydin 16. It's only 32" wide at the gunnels, which is much better for solo use. The canoe I paddled wasn't setup for solo paddling (I had reserved a solo rental canoe, but there was a mix-up with the outfitter and ended up with the Keewaydin), so I paddling it backwards from the bow seat. This worked okay, but probably isn't ideal with the asymmetrical hull. I've tried the same thing with my Kipawa and it really doesn't feel right when paddled backwards.

Getting one canoe to do two roles is tough. But if you can get a Keewaydin 16 with a removable centre seat, I think that would be a pretty good option.

Otherwise, look for a smaller symmetrical tandem canoe. I'd look for something that is on the narrow side with plenty of tumble home and less deep then other models. Higher capacity canoes paddled solo just mean that there is more canoe out of the water. With the slightest breeze you will be at the mercy of the wind. The prospectors I have owned all paddle beautifully solo until the wind comes up.