View topic - What dry suit(s) to buy?

It is currently October 21st, 2020, 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 14th, 2020, 1:58 pm 

You could try Adventure Guide in Kitchener. They also don't probably stock them (especially at this time of year) but they can order quick (NRS has a warehouse in Canada).

I bought my last pair of the boots from them and the price was very good (slightly less than the US Dollar retail price).

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2020, 9:28 pm 

anyone used these boots? https://www.frontenacoutfitters.com/lev ... ot-20.html

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 8:13 pm 

Any opinions on the Stohlquist Amp drysuit?
https://www.sail.ca/en/stohlquist-amp-drysuit-108592

I'm checking Adventure Guide too, but they figure it will be another couple of weeks before they get some in stock, probably NRS. They are listed as a Level Six dealer too, but weren't sure they would have them in stock.

Might go into Silent Sports to check out an Ocean Rodeo on Saturday.

Does anyone know if MEC normally has stock in store in the spring? They don't seem to have any dry suits in any of the Ontario stores. It looks like Kokatat has the best designs for women, and my daughter is looking for one, but of course wants to try something on before buying.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 10:02 am 

So I am back at it again. Still looking. Looking at the Levelsix Freya, the Kakatat Idol, and the boots listed below. Any updates, info or comments would be appreciated. Lots of places and manufacturers sold out.

https://kokatat.com/nomad-fwuwbm Kokatat Nomads.. not sure they would give the support I want, but given that I am short, they have adjustable height.
Have not been able to locate these locally: https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/produc ... soled-boot
Still considering these: https://www.nrs.com/product/30035.02/nr ... ary-boots#

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 11:45 am 

Level 6 does not have a great reputation for durability. The Kokatat Idol seems like an interesting experiment, but I've seen people I've tripped with who had them struggle with the zipper and complain about leaks.

For what it's worth, mine is a regular Kokatat with a metal zipper. I find they last about 7-10 years. My last one was replaced free when the Goretex failed after 7 years.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 1:27 pm 

I like my Kokatat dry suits. They stand by their products and service them.

I like my Kokatat Nomad boots, but their don’t offer much support. I use them on Far North canoe trips. They pack small, which I like and they are lightweight.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 2:05 pm 

New question on the dry suit buying list - any comments on which suits are easier to swim in? Or are they all awkward?

My daughter went with the Ocean Rodeo Heat and both she and my wife find it really hard to swim in.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 2:30 pm 

I did a custom Kokatat order through Al at Canoe Water Adventuring this past spring. Despite the covid craziness I still got the suit in a reasonable time. Check into ordering through a dealer like Al if other online retailers appear to be sold old.

As for the choice of suit itself, I'm onto my second Kokatat because of my success with the first. I don't think you'll find any negatives against this brand.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm 

Anyone heard of any rumours of a decline in the quality of Kokatat? I met some folks that mentioned that they had problems with new suits... although Kokatat did stand behind their product and fix the issues.
I have also had Sweet recommended (but it is for men), and Immersion Research (IR)? the Aprodite looks really good, although not all the bells and whistles of Kokat, and they don't have my size!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2020, 3:34 pm 

Splake wrote:
New question on the dry suit buying list - any comments on which suits are easier to swim in? Or are they all awkward?
The NY State Homeland Security Swift Water Rescue training facility fits students to Kokatat dry suits. Mine fit well and I did not experience any particularly difficult time swimming in mine during the various mandatory training swim exercises. The facility has been in operation for only less than two years, so the suits are all fairly new. However, the instructors all wore very high quality much more expensive black Mustang brand rescue quality dry suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlF4P9Zx5uE

PostPosted: October 1st, 2020, 12:50 pm 

cheryl wrote:
Anyone heard of any rumours of a decline in the quality of Kokatat? I met some folks that mentioned that they had problems with new suits... although Kokatat did stand behind their product and fix the issues.
I have also had Sweet recommended (but it is for men), and Immersion Research (IR)? the Aprodite looks really good, although not all the bells and whistles of Kokat, and they don't have my size!

My suit is only a couple years old and it's fine. The Gore-tex Pro seems more durable than other materials offered due to its flexibiliy. The plastic zipper on my Kokatat is better quality than the one on my wife's Level Six. They're both YKK but the Kokatat is easier to move.

A lot of Kokatat products are being made overseas but the price point is much cheaper on those products. The products made in the US (like the drysuits) I would expect to be the same high quality as it has been in the past.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2020, 9:52 pm 

This is all great info. I have been sidelined by a family emergency, but will keep following. Hopefully I can get back it soon. I am most appreciative of all your comments.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2020, 6:20 am 

i just completed the NY State Emergency Rescue Boat Operator's training and certification course last week. Students were issued the same Kokatat dry suits that we had last year for the swift water training course. I and a couple of other students had to return our first suits due to leaks and torn cuff seals. Several students asked for recommendations on equipment. Even though public employees are not supposed to direct us toward any particular product or vendor, the lead instructor (who for many years owned business and made his living as a white water outfitter and guide) strongly advised against buying any equipment, everything from dry suits to pulleys, that are cheaply made and come from China. Even though the type of dry suits the instructors wear cost 3x-4x the cheap ones, if we really think we will personally need one more than once or twice, we should look beyond those orange/gray kokatats.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2020, 8:37 am 

which are made in N. America?

PostPosted: October 12th, 2020, 9:42 am 

cheryl wrote:
which are made in N. America?
Without doing extensive research on every brand out there, I can only say that I observed most of my instructors wearing either Mustang or Force6 branded gear, both are Canadian manufacturing companies as far as I can tell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next