View topic - H2O Paddles

It is currently September 18th, 2019, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2O Paddles
PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm 

Hey, was wondering about one of these....

http://www.h2opaddles.com/wwpaddles/c1

I lost my beloved Waterstick ( lining of all things) on a spring trip and need to replace it. Not really liking the Aquabound Edge but I know its very durable. Wondering if anyone has any experience with H2O canoe paddles?

Post subject: Re: H2O Paddles
PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm 

No experience with H2O......I have a Werner Bandit, it's about $100 more (all carbon), I like it a lot. Given how badly I treat my paddles it had held up well.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 2:49 pm 

Blades are rather flexible for my personal preference but they appear to be well made and are very competitively priced.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 4:02 pm 

Thanks, I'm relying on the experts here because I can't get one in my hands to look at.

I have paddled with an Aquabound Edge. Thought shaft was a little stiff, didn't really like the grip, blade was ok. Worked really well for playboating, don't know about tripping. They are however really tough. I don't know about the fiberglass Werner Bandit as in how durable it will be. Blade design is similar to my lost Waterstick. I can't find anything else out there.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 4:55 pm 

For tripping, it's hard to beat the Echo Pursuit - or Quest if you don't like a curved blade for tripping.

I have the Pursuit with a carbon blade and my wife has the Quest. The only advantage a plastic blade paddle has that I can see is that it won't get damaged when jammed between rocks. My wife bent the aluminum on her Quest by wedging it between two rocks getting out of the boat. A friend bent the aluminum on my Pursuit - really don't understand how since I really have beat mine for two years in shallow MB rivers and have never had an issue.

Both paddles were relatively easy to repair.

When I use my AB Edge then switch to my Echo or my Werner Bandit (glass) I feel like each stroke has a good amount more power.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 6:44 pm 

The grip on the H2O is superior to the grip of the AB. Stiffness of the H2O is comparable to the white bladed AB edge. As for the Echo, it's probably the best of the best (currently have 2 Pursuits and have owned others as well). Another really nice Canadian made white water paddle can found here http://www.shaggydesigns.com/paddles.htm. My Shaggy is currently at the bottom of a river but I wouldn't hesitate buying another.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2019, 7:09 am 

I have 2 H2o Paddles, They are well made, and stand behind there products. I would recomend them.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 1:00 pm 

Waterstick, a blast from the past. I loved the blade. And all around great paddle.

Incidentally, the man behind the Waterstick blade design also started Core paddles, but I think life got in the way and Core never really materialized.

Seems like most of the current good whitewater paddles has been mentioned--Echo, Werner, Aqua-Bound, H2O, Shaggy.
The Aqua-Bound Edge is now only the black blade version. Price point wise, you can't beat it. I have several. Blade wears down. Available in 2 and 3 breakdown or take-a-part. Simple decision because there is only Edge version.
Other then the Aqua-Bound Edge, all the other paddles mentioned offer different versions such as carbon or fibreglass or even wood. Blade, shaft, grip options. More choice, more decisions.
The Werner is a step up. Blade wears down. Available in 2 and 3 breakdown or take-a-part. Some like the grip and the blade better than the Aqua-Bound Edge.
H2O, yet another small Canadian business. A bit similar to Waterstick in terms of thinking out side of the box. Ideally suited for shallow rivers. Blade wears down. Better grip than Aqua-Bound Edge or Werner Bandit.
Echo is premium. Small Canadian business. I used to love the aluminum tips but now I use blades that wear down. A wonderful paddle to use.
I don't see many Shaggy Designs paddles but they are known to be tough. Small Canadian business.

My main tripping paddles are the Aqua-Bound Edge.
My main day paddle is H2O carbon shaft.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm 

Thanks all. As much as I don;t like the grip I think that I'll go with the Edge. I tend to be rather rough on my paddles so tough and less expensive wins out over paddles better and expensive. I use a wooden paddle on the tamer stuff so its not like would be using it all day.

Waterstick was incredibly tough. Hooked a branch while lining a falls, can still see it going down the run. never saw it again. Sad, sad day.