View topic - Bob special or Prospecter?

It is currently July 10th, 2020, 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm 

Now that my 2 kids are getting a bit bigger its time to get a second canoe. I already have a Mad River Explorer, and for a second boat I'm trying to decide between a Prospector and a Bob Special. I do a lot of solo paddling/ fishing which makes me lean towards the Bob. We do tackle some longer tandem trips from time to time though, probably more often as the kids get older.

So, although I've always wanted a Prospector, it seems like the Bob would be better for solo tripping and fishing, as well as being a good boat for my kids to learn to paddle on their own when they get a bit older. With the Explorer along I think we should be able to deal with the Bob's reduced capacity on longer trips. Interested to hear what the experts think though. Any advice is very welcome.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2020, 9:51 am 

If you're looking for a tandem that is smaller than a Prospector, but is a great solo boat, I'd recommend taking a look at the Pal. Nova Craft makes a Pal, which is a modern 'replica' of the classic Chestnut Pal from the early era of cedar/canvas construction. While it is 16' long and symmetrical, the Pal is slightly narrower and shallower than a Prospector, and has less rocker. This is my go-to solo tripper (I remove the stern seat and turn the canoe around), and it doubles nicely as a second tandem when needed.

You'll probably find the Pal to track better than the Bob.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 10:09 am 

canoeguitar wrote:
If you're looking for a tandem that is smaller than a Prospector, but is a great solo boat, I'd recommend taking a look at the Pal. Nova Craft makes a Pal, which is a modern 'replica' of the classic Chestnut Pal from the early era of cedar/canvas construction. While it is 16' long and symmetrical, the Pal is slightly narrower and shallower than a Prospector, and has less rocker. This is my go-to solo tripper (I remove the stern seat and turn the canoe around), and it doubles nicely as a second tandem when needed.

You'll probably find the Pal to track better than the Bob.

Seconding this. I was at the nova-craft facility in London this past October and was asking a very similar question. The fellow I spoke to recommended the PAL for this type of use.

Specifically I told him I would be doing mostly flat-water (little to no moving water) combination of solo/tandem but with a minimalist gear set up (IE not needing to have capacity for 800lbs).

He absolutely recommended a PAL.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm 

I hear of or see the Bob more than the Pal, so the Bob is more on my radar. For kids to paddle tandem, I also like the 15' of the Bob instead or 16', it's more right-sized for kids. With the difference in width between the Bob and Pal, might the Bob be more stable for kids & fishing?

Either way, Bob, Pal or something else (I picked up 14' fiberglass canoe of unknown make and model) I agree that's it's great for kids, for solo and for family trips to have a 2nd canoe on the smaller side.

As soon as my kids became too big to fit us all in single canoe on a trip, which is about the same time they become interested & capable of paddling themselves, we added the 14' boat, which I grabbed as interim measure because I couldn't find a used Bob.

Pat.