View topic - InReach or Spot Rental

It is currently October 19th, 2020, 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: InReach or Spot Rental
PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 5:04 pm 

We've been considering adding a satellite communicator to our gear. Our trips seem to be getting much more remote as the years go by, and we have plans for even more remote. We also have wives who worry. We'd really rather try it out first and make sure it does what we need first though. Definitely don't want a sat phone, it just takes too much of the isolation feeling away, and we're somewhat invested in Garmin already, so would prefer that over Spot.

If anyone reading this post is willing to rent/lend one to us around the last week of July and the first week of August who lives anywhere between Toronto and Thunder Bay, please do pm me here.

Does anyone know of a place that will rent these for a somewhat reasonable price, in/around Toronto, Thunder Bay, or Armstrong? Generally speaking, the price of a two week rental comes to about half of what the unit would cost if we just bought one. I've got calls and emails in to a few places around Tbay and Armstrong.

And finally, are there generally any issues with purchasing them used? As an I.T. man, I can regale you with the countless miserable experiences people have had when buying used iPads, and before I look into the used Garmin market, I'd like to be know if anything similar happens there.

They come with a hefty price tag and we'd like to be sure that they do what we need before we buy.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 7:01 pm 

I "might" have an InReach available (the last pre-Garmin model) at that time.

You might be able to find a used or close-out version of the one I use which has all the same features EXCEPT for the GPS and mapping functionality (can be had if you pair via bluetooth to a smartphone/tablet).

As far as reliability, excellent in my experience, definitely better than the old SPOT I replaced. I worry about the battery consumption on the actual Garmin units although they promise similar battery life. Thing about the Garmins, since it really a fully functional handheld mapping GPS you might use a lot more "screen time" which as you probably know is what uses up the juice the most.

On my last 5 week trip I only recharged from a power bank once with tracking turned on all day and send/receive 4 or 5 messages every day.

One advantage to the new Garmin units is that you can set the tracking down to 5 second increments just like their standard GPS only units while the older InReach is limited to 10 minute (or greater) intervals. The faster increments definitely look better on MapShare so so good that viewers can see that you stopped in the middle of the lake for a 5 minute break while floating around in circles. You can also see your route when you ran that big rapid....enter centre right, move left then swing back for a right side exit at the bottom......

Should be no problem to register a used unit, the original owner would need to cancel (not suspend) their subscription first.