View topic - weight of canoe colors?

It is currently February 28th, 2021, 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: weight of canoe colors?
PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 12:53 pm 

Hi,

I'm considering to buy a swift prospector 16 Kevlar, I have two questions to ask for advice:

- Is prospector 16 fit for 2 people to do some wilderness trips ( 2 - 3 days )?
- I found the 2 tone color option is about 3 - 4 pounds heavier than the single color. do you know why? Should i choose the single color from the weight consideration?

thanks
James

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 2:47 pm 

IMO, a Prospector 16 is an excellent hull design for most wilderness trips. The preferred layup (e.g. expedition kevlar, kevlar fusion, carbon fusion, T-Formex, etc.) depends on things such as your budget, weight tolerance, and intended use (e.g. flatwater vs whitewater).

While not a Swift, I have a two-tone boat from another manufacturer. When I inquired about the weight differential, this is what the manufacturer said: " The two tone hulls require a little extra gel coat. The top color coat needs to over spray the bottom white to get a good definite separation line".

Most two-tone boats have white on the bottom because white hides scratches better. If you're more concerned about the visibility of scratches than you are about weight, get a two-tone with white on the bottom. Otherwise, get monotone.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2021, 3:27 pm 

16' is plenty and why not skip the colour all together and save more weight?

We have an ultralight (no colour) 16' (15'8") Clipper Prospector and it easily carries us two med. sized paddlers, 2 med. sized dogs, and all of our gear for weeks.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 10:34 am 

hi DuNord and Canoeheadted,

thanks for your advices!

James

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 11:09 pm 

As others have said, I think the Prospector 16 is definitely a fantastic choice for your described use. I originally ordered the same boat but recently changed it to a Keewaydin 16 Combi. I was in a similar decision making situation regarding the two tone. I've always lusted for a Swift Canoe, and in my mind, a Swift was two tone. It's one of those Swift characteristics that stands out on the water. I've been told that the Champagne gelcoat adds 4lbs, but more recently I've heard 2 lbs also. The reason that it adds weight is that it is sprayed into the mould before the composite layups are placed into the mould. It's is an additional layer of gelcoat. Bill Swift told me that it doesn't add any structural integrity or stiffness, it is simply for abrasion resistance and hiding scratches. In his videos he admits that he himself would choose light weight over hiding scratches. Having said that, it seems to me that 80% of Swift buyers get the two-tone based on what you see out there.

My current order is a Carbon Fusion (Carbon H-weave) inside and out, with the Champagne Gelcoat, but I am waffling on whether to keep the two-tone or go for the weight savings and go all carbon. I change my mind almost daily. The struggle is real. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
Mark

PostPosted: January 21st, 2021, 12:10 am 

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your information! Yes the two tone version seems more typical and beautiful. I will make decision after I communicate with Swift for some advice tomorrow. Let’s show up the new ship when we got it. Fantastic... i’ve never had backcountry paddling yet.

James

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 11:05 am 

I also wanted to add that the current Swift laminate Canoes use coloured cloth to attain the base canoe colours, the red, green, blue that you commonly see, with a clear gelcoat. And for 2021 they started using a "thin gelcoat" that doesn't crack easily and is thinner than previous years. In the latest video, they say the champagne bottom adds about 2 lbs. Currently the thin gelcoat is only being used in champagne and clear. If you order a coloured gelcoat bottom, which can look amazing (think carbon with orange bottom and decals, or carbon with bright blue bottom and decals) those coloured gelcoats will add 4 lbs.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2021, 3:20 pm 

Hi Mark,

Having checked with Bill Swift himself, all the boats of 2021 adopted the mentioned thin gelcoat technology. I ordered Prospector 16 of green color. I can't wait for my new boat...

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2021, 5:58 pm 

Jz127323 wrote:
Hi Mark,

Having checked with Bill Swift himself, all the boats of 2021 adopted the mentioned thin gelcoat technology. I ordered Prospector 16 of green color. I can't wait for my new boat...

Congrats! I know the feeling.