View topic - Canoe for getting started/learning how to pole?

It is currently February 28th, 2021, 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 11:06 am 

I recently watched some interesting YouTube videos about canoe poling and now I find myself wanting to spend some time learning how to pole a canoe.

My primary canoe will be a Swift Prospector 14 pack boat (on order, should have it be May 2021) which I don't intend to even consider trying to pole right now. It's small and most importantly not really designed to be used to pole up shallow, rock laden river bottoms I think.

What I am looking for is something rugged, inexpensive and reasonable to use as a canoe to at least learn the basic of canoe poling. I live in South-western Ontario so rivers will likely be shallow and rocky most of the time. I don't intend to use this canoe for tripping, whitewater or anything other then canoe poling.

Any recommendations on what to look for? So far I've been thinking something along the lines of a very used Novacraft SP3 Prospector 16 or 17 however I honestly could use some guidance.

~Jamie N

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 8:13 pm 

I am not familiar with that brand of Prospector but usually Prospectors are round bottomed and ergo not conducive to learning poling.

If you can find an Old Town Camper 16 it is a nice poling boat. Mad River Explorers also. You need something more flat bottomed than a Prospector.

Heresy but an old Grumman is quite a reasonable learning boat except for aluminums tendency to "grab" rocks.

Old Town Discovery would also be a possibility though they are beasts.

A 17 foot boat won't respond to your attempts at snubbing as well as a shorter one. Control is key.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 8:43 pm 

Used Mad River Explorer in Royalex.
The secondary stability is incredible with the multi chined hull.

I use a 16' Clipper prospector myself and I have to be careful. Being 6' 3" doesn't help either.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 9:42 pm 

This is very, very useful information to me. Thank-you for providing.

Now I just need to try to track down the Mad River Explorer in Royalex in Canada. Anyone know some good places to watch beyond kijiji?