View topic - Leaky barrel repair advice needed

It is currently February 28th, 2021, 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 8:57 pm 

Hi all,

Recently purchased two 30L blue barrels on Kijiji for what I thought was a good deal ($15ea).

Got them home and tested them in the laundry sink by pouring some water in and holding them sideways. When tipped, there is a stead stream of water running out from the seal between the lid and the barrel.

Just wondering if anyone has run into a gasket issue on a barrel and what their method of repair was? Bonus points if it’s available curb side from Canadian tire.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 9:20 pm 

Lots of things you can try......

First thing is to check the ridge that seals against the gasket, if their are any irregularities (especially near the seam) that can cause leaks.

Next step is to check the gasket, the gaskets used are usually pretty good quality and do not deteriorate very quickly. If the gasket is intact, round and pliable it may be a case of "height". Some solutions to this is to remove the gasket put a thin layers of silicon caulking, let it set up before reinstalling the gasket.

I have barrels that were defective in manufacture, almost impossible to make watertight, other have responded to the fixes above. Suggest you try these things and report back, there are plenty more tips & tricks out there for this problem.

If the gasket is shot you will need to replace, hard to find the exact product to replace but you may have better luck with spline used for screen windows and doors. Home Depot carry a wide range of sizes but you want to make sure you use impermeable material as opposed to the cheap foamy stuff.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 9:35 pm 

Looks like the gaskets are intact.

There are some minor irregularities in the rim of the barrel. Would adding silicone work to ‘tighten’ things up?
The ring is also fairly easy to close - much easier than my 60L from recreational barrel works. Maybe some silicone around the lid would help tighten that up as well.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 10:25 pm 

It may be an issue with the locking ring, it should be quite tight to lock, if not it's probably not compressing the lid against the gasket enough.

You can carefully adjust the locking ring by compressing the part that goes over the lip of the barrel/lid. You could test it first by sticking something (paper board?) into the gap (on the upper lid side) and then locking it. That should tighten up the ring and perhaps compress the gasket better.

If you add silicone it should go under the gasket.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2021, 12:11 pm 

If the locking ring requires some effort to snap closed, as it should, I’d try a circle of thin window screen spline (or right-sized rubber O-ring if you can find one) under the existing gasket first.

I have needed to do repairs on three different barrels that leaked, one simply poured water out when I tested it; I had used that barrel for years un-leak-tested. Ooops, glad it never took a long swim.

A 45L barrel (the one that poured water). The locking ring was way too loose, and maybe not the original ring (barrel bought used). Our other barrels require significant force to close the locking ring; that one I could close with my pinkie. I do like the 45L size, that one is my favorite barrel.

I tried some suggestions for modifying the snap ring, crimping the C of the ring down tighter all the way around and adjusting the pop riveted setting/placement so the ring was smaller. In the end buying a new ring was what worked.

A 30L barrel. The gasket, though intact and in good condition, had been compressed*, and no longer formed a tight seal. Putting a thin O-ring gasket from a 5-gallon screw top lab pail under the existing gasket worked perfectly.

A 38L barrel. Same gasket issues, same screw top pail gasket solutions.

Barrels come in a bewildering variety of sizes/volumes, and if a used vendor has accidentally mixed lids or rings that may be a problem. Our 38L and 45L barrel lids and rings are nearly identical, but not leak-proof interchangeable. Even the OEM gaskets in our barrels are different in material, from foam to hard rubber, and in height between different barrels. Even same-volume barrels can have different style gaskets, lids and rings.

FWIW those screw top pail gaskets also come in at least 3 different thicknesses, from beefy foam gasket to thin rubber O-ring. We tried a bunch of combinations and what worked best was to remove the old gasket, put a thin O-ring in the groove and lay the old gasket atop. That raised the gasket seal height just enough and the barrels don’t leak a drop.

In lieu of those giant O-rings a circle of thin window screen spline also works.

*I no longer leave my barrels with the ring snapped tight in home storage; I take the lid off, snap the ring around the bottom flange so the ring can’t be bent or damaged in storage, and press the lid back in place. That gasket doesn’t need to be compressed 24/7/365 under a snap closed ring.

This probably doesn’t help with gasket compression either; when travelling to and from higher elevations our closed/locked 60L barrel in the truck bed has sucked in the sides )_( . While that showed it was water (and air) tight it couldn’t be doing the gasket compression any favors.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2021, 2:29 pm 

As stated, be sure to keep lids matched to the right barrel. Lid and barrels have different lip depth and heights. I put the same sicker on each match (barrel and lid).

You could try https://recreationalbarrelworks.com for replacement parts.

I had to tighten one of barrel snap rings. Something like: Drill out the old rivet, tighten the ring, install a new rivet.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2021, 9:45 am 

Careful application of heat from a heat gun can be used to expand the old gasket. I have done that, and now apply 303 Aerospray seasonally to my barrel lid gaskets.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2021, 11:51 am 

Paddle Power wrote:
I had to tighten one of barrel snap rings. Something like: Drill out the old rivet, tighten the ring, install a new rivet.

I pondered moving/replacing the pop rivet on our too-loose-ring 45L barrel, but it appeared that the new pop rivet holes would be too-close or overlapping the old hole.

If a replacement gasket is needed this is worth a try; at least you can make it the correct size to fit the gasket groove.

https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... post113749

I forgot about the faulty 60L barrel. Bought used from a BWCA outfitter the snap ring was irreparably bent from misuse. Set on a flat surface instead of being I it was (.

That made it a PITA to seat around the lip flanges, and when tested it leaked a bit too. A new snap ring from Recreational Barrel Works, which with shipping cost almost as much as the used barrel, did the trick.

One last “I have heard but not actually seen”; some used barrels, depending on what they originally contained, reportedly had a teeny hole drilled in the lip. Worth a close inspection.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2021, 3:33 pm 

Thanks for the advice all,

I went with putting a significant bead of silicone sealant underneath the gasket and let it sit overnight. I reinstalled the gasket which now sits significantly higher in the lid. It’s certainly a lot harder to close the ring now, which I take as a good sign. I’m going to wait a bit longer to ensure the silicone fully cures and I’ll do another water test and report back. My next trick might be crimping the ring a bit

PostPosted: January 25th, 2021, 3:01 pm 

Sounds like you are making progress.

You could measure the barrel lip height and compare it to the lid groove depth to the gasket to confirm that they match.

Crimping the ring might just do the trick to remove its stretch.