View topic - Is this THE techno SPOT with a GPS and text message capable?

It is currently October 1st, 2020, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 10:02 am 

That little small thing on the right, what they call "The revolutionary SPOT Satellite Communicator", is not "SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger", is it?

Thus, if we get this new DeLorme gadget, we can throw away our good old SPOT, right?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 4:21 pm 

Looks like you can toss the old SPOT and replace it with the little thingy which is a companion piece to the Delorme GPS unit.

I presume some people just want the GPS (the main unit) and those who want the SPOT stuff can add the little thingy which will do the actual communicating.

It sounds like the smaller device will perform the basic SPOT functions on it's own but you need the main unit to do the texting. What's not clear to me is if the little unit is capable of establishing your location on it's own or if it requires the main unit to establish it's location.

One thing is clear, not too far down the road, the GPS, the texting, probably the voice messaging and the ability to make coffee in the morning will all end up on a single chip. Maybe it will subcutaneous and be hard wired to your brain so that you can transmit your tweets without even "typing" on a touch screen!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 6:57 pm 

recped wrote:
One thing is clear, not too far down the road, the GPS, the texting, probably the voice messaging and the ability to make coffee in the morning will all end up on a single chip. Maybe it will subcutaneous and be hard wired to your brain so that you can transmit your tweets without even "typing" on a touch screen!

A few years ago this would have been a pipedream. The chip I mean.....
Looking back only a few years and a lot of the electronic Geehaws didn't exist other than in some geeks head. Now :roll:
the sky is the limit.
We can talk hands free. Ask our phones to call home, Joe, Mary, etc. We have Sat phones and Epirbs. PLBs SPOTs.
The wilderness is shrinking :doh:

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 7:16 pm 

Quote:
The wilderness is shrinking :doh:

It is but at least with the current topic one can simply use the OFF button or remove the batteries to set it back to it's "original" size.

I was thinking with all the current talk of GPS being a hazard on the road (CBC Marketplace) maybe somebody should do a feature on the dangers of GPS use while paddling.

I'd have to confess that I've gotten into a bit of trouble on the river while trying to mark waypoints in the middle of a rapid!

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 4:01 pm 

I am waiting for an Iridium system to come out, my experience is that units that use the Globalstar system don't have coverage 100% of the time and also seems to have holes in their coverage.
Most tracking and communication systems in aviation use Iridium based systems unless you get into the expensive Immarsat systems.

Dan

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 4:52 pm 

That's true for GlobalStar's voice network. The data network is much different and appears to be quite reliable with good coverage.

By the way, this past Summer I had relatively poor results using an Iridium unit in Northern Manitoba. On two occasions I was unable to connect for periods greater than 12 hours based on attempts made on an hourly basis.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 5:07 pm 

And at the same time, you didn't have any problem to send SPOT message, right, Ben?

We used SPOT twice a day on two long trips, 3.5 weeks in 2008 and 5 weeks in 2009. All SPOT messages were sent and received successfully, i.e. 100% success rate.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 6:04 pm 

I'm hoping this means come christmas 2010 the original spot is gonna be a 50 dollar gift.

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 7:32 pm 

cobain_lg wrote:
I'm hoping this means come christmas 2010 the original spot is gonna be a 50 dollar gift.

Apparantly thats the sale price now. Look around.

here was a deal

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 8:32 pm 

Probably.....

Of course the business model puts all the profit in the subscription fees just like a cell phone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a SPOT for $0 with a 3 year service contract.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 9:55 am 

recped wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a SPOT for $0 with a 3 year service contract.

I purchased my SPOT last year. With a two year subscription I got a rebate equal to the purchase price of the SPOT. No regrets since.

cheers
dave

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 9:01 am 

Anyone have a Delorme GPS? Was wondering if they are any good? Mapping capabilities?

Looks like the Delorme "SPOT-GPS" combo is on the shelves (probably has been for awhile). BassPro has them for $549.99. At this price (and considering that the system comes in two components), not worthwhile for me to even consider switching from my Garmin 60csx and original SPOT, to the Delorme system.

http://www.basspro.com/DeLorme-PN60w-Plus-SPOT-Handheld-GPS-Unit/product/10206508/-1693830#

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 9:20 am 

It would be great to have a tool to send brief text messages on the long remote trip. However, Delorme is bit pricey, and it is just bare unit, how to get maps of Canadian North is another question. Neither Garmin topo maps nor Ibycus would work for it. Delorme may or may not have Canadian North covered, and it could cost more $$ plus would require another software to get it to the unit...

I would love to hear from any Delorme user here, too.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 11:03 am 
CCR Site Administrator

My old GPS just broke down (Garmin 60csx) & I have just ordered the new Delorme PN-60w SPOT. It includes the GPS, the SPOT unit & the topos. Apparently they now have topos included for all of North America. I found a place in Calgary with a MUCH better price - - GPS City was offering it for the special price of $399 so I immediately ordered it...being afraid that the price would change. I just checked now & it has already changed to $459.95 (I just ordered it 2 days ago!), still better than most places....see http://www.gpscity.ca/delorme-earthmate ... eiver.html

You can also save an additional approximately $40 of tax if you have someone in Calgary who can pick it up for you because they only have GST, not HST.

BTW, I also already have a SPOT so will find someone to give it to.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 12:10 pm 

Marilyn,

Are there any specifications public about the North American topos coming with this package (esp. scale)?

This summer, we used mix of Ibycus & Topo Canada v2. I think Topo Canada doesn't have too much detail (on Canadian North), while Ibycus does, except that it has big hole in the middle of Northern Quebec. The result was, as we watched ourselves moving on the Garmin's display, mostly we were on nicely detailed map, but there were less detailed areas. At the connecting lines these two didn't match at all - river suddenly jumped kilometer to the side, and we saw ourselves paddling high on the shoreline :-)

Secondly: will you need regular SPOT subscription with this, or is it something different?

Thank you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next