View topic - Zoleo Satellite Communicator

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 6th, 2020, 9:50 pm 

Looks like this might be a game changer, reasonable pricing, ability to suspend service and 2 way messaging initiated by your contact(s) by using the Zoleo app on their phone (you get message when you turn on app at your end)and Iridium based network for coverage pretty well world wide - https://www.roadpost.ca/zoleo-satellite ... e-62976886

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 7:30 am 

Thanks for the heads up smokey. Looks real interesting. Reviews of this product should be appearing soon.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 10:20 am 

While the Zoleo may well suit the needs of some paddlers, to call it a "game-changer" might be a bit of a stretch. Here is a comparison of the Zoleo with the inReach Explorer+ which has been out since 2017.

The Zoleo goes for CDN $270. The basic plan is $25. a month for 25 messages + 75¢ for each additional. The next plan up is $45. a month for 250 messages. You can suspense coverage when not needed for $5. a month.

I paid $500. for the inReach Explorer+. The initial cost is double that of the Zoleo but what you get makes it worth the initial investment. The inReach Discover monthly option is currently $40. and includes 100 text messages. It can also receive emails. As well, it has a map screen for navigation purposes, a useful basic weather forecast service and unlimited tracks. These tracks can be viewed by anyone with whom you share the URL of the related Garmin map website. The monthly suspension fee is $4. instead of the Zoleo's $5.

Given the number of new SOS/tracking/messaging devices that have come out in the past three years, we certainly have choices. It all depends on the features you are looking for.

The Zoleo offers one of the more basic packages that some will find more than adequate. I'd say spend a bit more and get additional features that a canoe tripper would find useful. Or -

If we wait long enough, we'll have 100% cellphone coverage and our iPhones will be doing it all for us!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm 

true_north, you forgot to mention the Zoleo requires a compatible smartphone to function at all, without one it's just a rock to carry around. An InReach on the other hand can be paired with a smartphone but can operate with all functionality without one.

It's an interesting product and useful to those who spend time outside of cell range but not necessarily "back country" for extended periods.

Personally I'm going to wait until Jeff and/or Elon get their low orbit satellite networks running before I upgrade from my (Delorme) InReach device.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 2:32 pm 

I do not pay a monthly suspension fee for my Explorer+.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 2:48 pm 

scratchypants, do you just keep your device active year-round? I have mine active maybe three months of the year and pay 9 months x $4. to suspend service for the rest of the year. I should also mention that when it is active for only two weeks of a month, they only charge you for the two weeks and not the full month.

Here is what the inReach website says about plan suspension when you don't need the device -

The website has more info -

https://inreach.roadpost.ca/contract-fr ... ost-plans/

I would guess that the Zoleo plan is pretty similar to the inReach one as far as suspension rules are concerned. BTW recped, good to emphasize the need for a cellphone to make the Zoleo even work.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 3:18 pm 

true_north wrote:
BTW recped, good to emphasize the need for a cellphone to make the Zoleo even work.

I didn't check for sure but I think the SOS function is independent of a smartphone so that's a positive.

Also of note, it says "water-resistant (IP68, MIL-STD 810G)", the Garmin InReach says "Water rating: IPX73".

From a brief exploration of IP ratings via Google, for paddling where submersion is a definite possibility IP68 may not be sufficient which might make it unreliable as an emergency device without additional protection.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I have a Garmin inReach Mini that was $295 on a Black Friday sale. I have the Garmin inReach Freedom Plan. It costs $0 when suspended. But there is a 29.95 annual fee. For a couple of months a year I turn on the Safety Plan for 19.95/month. No activation or deactivation fee.

Unlimited SOS
10 text messages/month
Unlimited Preset messages (predefined messages set up on the website)
Tracking points: $0.15 CAD for each point
Overages are $0.75 CAD for each text message over the 10 messages allowed in the monthly plan period.
Text messages include free-form sent messages and received messages.
Tracking points refer to the individual "breadcrumbs" sent by the inReach at user-selected intervals ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 6:27 pm 

true_north wrote:
scratchypants, do you just keep your device active year-round? I have mine active maybe three months of the year and pay 9 months x $4. to suspend service for the rest of the year. I should also mention that when it is active for only two weeks of a month, they only charge you for the two weeks and not the full month.

Here is what the inReach website says about plan suspension when you don't need the device -

The website has more info -

https://inreach.roadpost.ca/contract-fr ... ost-plans/

I would guess that the Zoleo plan is pretty similar to the inReach one as far as suspension rules are concerned. BTW recped, good to emphasize the need for a cellphone to make the Zoleo even work.

You have a pre-Garmin version. My account information is located at inreach.garmin.com, not roadpost. I have the same plan as Martin.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 9:24 pm 

Quote:
You have a pre-Garmin version. My account information is located at inreach.garmin.com, not roadpost. I have the same plan as Martin.

Ah, that would explain it!

If someone were to sign up for a Garmin plan these days, do they have a choice between the Roadpost plan I provided a link to above and the Garmin plan you are using?

PostPosted: February 7th, 2020, 9:34 pm 

Roadpost plans are grandfathered for people who signed up in 2018 (don't quote me on the date). It was part of the buyout deal between DeLorme and Garmin.

Anyone still on the Roadpost plan can add additional InReach devices including the most recent ones.

If you close a Roadpost subscription (suspend is ok) you can never go back.

There isn't any major difference, the Roadpost is just slightly cheaper, actually was since they bumped all the plans up by $5 last year and tossed in unlimited tracking and preset messages.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 6:13 am 

true_north wrote:
Quote:

Ah, that would explain it!

If someone were to sign up for a Garmin plan these days, do they have a choice between the Roadpost plan I provided a link to above and the Garmin plan you are using?

recped covered it, but the short answer is "no."

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 5:19 pm 

If I'm interested in an emerg communications device with minimal 2-way messaging, and preferably something that doesn't need to be paired with a smartphone, how about the SpotX? SpotX has a little keyboard.

Anyone done any comparisons/research on SpotX vs. Garmn inReach Mini?

The Devil is probably in the details of their service plans, but that seems pretty similar.

Thanks if anyone is well informed on this. I've never taken an emerg contact device with me, but probably should.

Thanks, P.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 5:47 pm 

If Spot are still using Globalstar that in itself would be enough for me to take a pass. At the moment Iridium is the only satellite network I would go with (InReach use Iridium).