View topic - Historic / Archived Maps

It is currently September 20th, 2020, 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Historic / Archived Maps
PostPosted: May 18th, 2020, 9:03 pm 

I assume there is a place on-line to find historic / archived topo maps, but I can't find it anywhere. Can someone please share the link with me? When I look all I can find is the most recent edition, which sometimes is older and sometimes more recent. I'm looking for topo maps that go back as far as I can get them, first editions. I'm particularly interested in the shape of the land/water before the major hydro projects. Thanks!

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 2:46 pm 

Your best bet would be to contact the NRCAN library office and see if they have been moved to a different location or taken offline completely. In theory through that office they should be able to point you in the right direction.

https://science-libraries.canada.ca/eng ... resources/

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 3:36 pm 

I think you'll find that for the old stuff you will have to go to Library and Archives Canada. A few items are available from LAC on-line, but most not.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2020, 9:11 am 

Bummer. How hard could it be to post that kind of stuff on-line?!

Hopefully there's something in the link recped shared, but I think I've looked there already.

Sigh... Always looking to the future, never to the past...

PostPosted: May 20th, 2020, 10:06 am 

When doing research for The Wabakimi Project Phil Cotton visited the Ontario Government Archives at the Ministry of Resources (and Mines etc) to look at old mining survey maps from 100 years ago. The staff there was very helpful, and for a small cost Phil got copies of the maps or photocopies. The Ministries are so underfunded they can't even put people in the field let alone have them spend time copying old maps into electronic files. If you want info it is there with the Government, search it out, but don't expect it for free.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2020, 2:52 pm 

You beat me to it Wabakimi!
Though Library and Archives Canada has a wonderful collection, and Natural Resources Canada also has very good collection of topo ( and other historic maps) the biggest repository of this stuff is usually the Provinces. In Ontario, yes Ministry of Natural Resources and Forests (MNRF) would be a good place to look for old mapping products. The OBM map sheets were prepared in various scales and revisions over the years. But depending on what you are looking for- and where- keep in mind that much of this mapping was done post- flooding.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Bruce