View topic - Need new lunch for long trips:

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2006, 10:49 am 

I for one love fruit cake. My grandfather was a baker and he would bring home great big round ones. Nobody seemed to like it but I alwasy manged to polish the whole thing off. It is a wonder I did not end up a 300 pound kid.

Fruit cake is now added to my list of tripping foods. Thank you.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 12:50 pm 

I've been curing, smoking and otherwise preserving jerky, pepperettes and such for years. I can post recipes or PM me if you wish.
Store preserved food in a cotton bag. Wrap the food in cheesecloth soaked in vinegar; if mold forms, rinse the cheesecloth and resoak in vinegar. This works for smoked bacon (unsliced) as well. Great treat after a week or so out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 1:42 pm 

Hi Pete,

I'd be really interested in learning how to do the pepperettes.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 4:37 pm 

******* wrote:
Hi Pete,

I'd be really interested in learning how to do the pepperettes.

Thanks in advance.

If you have access to a sausage stuffer and a dehydrator or a smoker, the job is really easy. Wally World sells an item called a "jerky gun" that will fill in for the stuffer. A smoker or a dehydrator is essential.

Recipe:
10 lb ground beef
4 T paprika
1/3 cup ground mustard
1 T black pepper
1 T white pepper
1 t ground celery or celery salt
1 T mace
1 t granulated garlic (or more)
1t - 1 T cayenne
5 T hickory flavoured salt
4 1/2 T dextrose (corn sugar)
1 cup powdered skim milk (not instant)
2 t "Insta-Cure # 1" (this is a salt/nitrate/nitrite mixture which preserves the product) ask an old fashioned butcher who makes sausage for this product. Also known as Prague powder.

mix all the ingredients (mix the spices with a little water first) in a big tub till fully blended. Stuff into 19mm lamb casings or shoot 1/2" strips 6 - 8" long from the jerky gun. dry for 24 - 36 hours in the dehydrator or, if you have a smoker, dry at 95 - 110º for 8 hours, then raise the temp till the pepperettes are 145º internal temp, another few hours. Dry them at 50º and store in the fridge.
When you take them on a trip; keep them in a cloth (cotton) bag to allow air to circulate.

The spice mix here is fairly mild, add cayenne for more heat.

This is kind of a basic "how-to" for a lot of preserved meat for tripping, lots more options are available.

Sorry, but preserving safely involves nitrates, some of you may have a problem with this, I'm working on some old fashioned pemmicam recipes that don't use chemicals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 4:50 pm 

now you've given me the excuse to buy the sausage grinder sn stuffer attachment for my big kitchen aid mixer - and better yet I can make Bryan think it is his idea - seeing as he is a meatatarian

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 5:31 pm 

******* wrote:
now you've given me the excuse to buy the sausage grinder sn stuffer attachment for my big kitchen aid mixer - and better yet I can make Bryan think it is his idea - seeing as he is a meatatarian

Salad is not real food .... salad is what real food eats; right? I think I've got Bryan's number LOL

The KA is a great tool; wish sometimes I had one You won't look back from this journey ... to the universe and beyond!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 5:44 pm 

Bryan bought the KA for a birthday present for me in 2002 and he bought the pasta making attachments which I love.

What's really funny is that I was a vegetarian when I first met Bryan... now I like steak (rare even). We dry a lot of meat dishes... beef, pork, chicken and such so I try to stay away from pemmican type stuff (bleh) but I do love good homemade sausage and such.

For lunches I do a lot of dried stuff that rehydrates quickly. Hummus, slaws, lentil salads, veggie spreads and then foil pouched chicken, salmon and tuna. I grow fresh sprouts on the trail/canoe routes too. That way on day 7 I can have the crunch of fresh greens in a wrap with chicken and such. MMMMM

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 8:27 pm 

Occasionlly I make a sort of Greek salad with brocolli, caulifower,cherry tomatoes,celeri, green and red peppers, grapes, olives,feta cheese cubed and use an oil and herb type salad dressing packed in a heavy duty Ziploc bag.The crunchier the vegies are the better they keep.I pack it in an insulated lunch bag with the fresh frozen meat for the first nite's supper. It lasts several days.Then as the days progress we do the hummous/tabouli wraps,and the regular cheese,tuna in foil,jerky nuts ,etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 8:39 pm 

Hey *******
Please tell me more about the dehydrated lentil salad and veggie spreads.
What do you buy and dehydrate? Thanks. PS. What about growing your own sprouts. I saw some container years ago that you were supposed to buy and grow the sprouts in there. Enlighten me as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2007, 8:56 pm 

Okay - the trail sprouts are easy -

here are the instructions...

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/kitchen-v1-4.htm

Elke send me an email and I can share the recipes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:00 pm 

Pemmican.

Dense.
Filling.

I made some last year using natural peanut butter. Tasted so-so on my first attempt but it has always worked as a good meal replacement while skiing or general outdoor activity.

I actually forgot about it in the cupboard and last weekend when we went for a day paddle i pulled a chunk out and took it along. Around 6pm I was looking for supper and ate two or three mouthfuls and it gave me the fuel I neede to get home.

Basic Pemmican

Dried meat( I use Elk) ground up into a powder
Fat-I used the all natural peanut butter from Bulk Barn( it would have tasted way better with regular ole Skippy)
Honey to sweeten.

Options:
Nuts
Dried Fruit
Maple Syrup instead of Honey
Dried Peas

Heat up the peanut butter and honey. Mix into the powdery meat substance and then fold in other ingredients as desired. Form into bars or in a square glass dishes and then cut into bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:14 pm 

rob in angus wrote:
Pemmican.

Dense.
Filling.

I made some last year using natural peanut butter. Tasted so-so on my first attempt but it has always worked as a good meal replacement while skiing or general outdoor activity.

I actually forgot about it in the cupboard and last weekend when we went for a day paddle i pulled a chunk out and took it along. Around 6pm I was looking for supper and ate two or three mouthfuls and it gave me the fuel I neede to get home.

Basic Pemmican

Dried meat( I use Elk) ground up into a powder
Fat-I used the all natural peanut butter from Bulk Barn( it would have tasted way better with regular ole Skippy)
Honey to sweeten.

Options:
Nuts
Dried Fruit
Maple Syrup instead of Honey
Dried Peas

Heat up the peanut butter and honey. Mix into the powdery meat substance and then fold in other ingredients as desired. Form into bars or in a square glass dishes and then cut into bars.

no offense - but that sounds a little unappetizing for a lunch and there are much tastier options if you own a dehydrator - wilderness cooking isn't just about fuel

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:25 pm 

No offence taken but it is tasty and we don't always want to stop for a big production at lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:30 pm 

rob in angus wrote:
No offence taken but it is tasty and we don't always want to stop for a big production at lunch.

guess I'll just have to take your word for it - the soundof it just doesn't appeal to me - especially the thought of it on a hot day - a good lunch does not require stopping or a big production at all - there are many things you can dehydrate that only require a bit of cold water put in at brekky and you have a flavorful meal you can eat in the canoe or along the portage at midday

ever have problems with the natural peanut butter going rancid in the heat? we've had some issues with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:38 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

rob in angus wrote:

Are you absolutely committed to all-natural peanut butter?

The "Compliments" store brand from Sobeys / IGA I have found to be much nicer than Skippy or Kraft, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next