View topic - Need new lunch for long trips:

It is currently October 15th, 2019, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:43 pm 

I like to avoid the trans fats so that is why I went with the all natural. But I am not completely commited to it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:51 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

rob in angus wrote:
I like to avoid the trans fats so that is why I went with the all natural. But I am not completely commited to it either.

Sure, make me read the small print.

Per 1 tbsp
Calories 90
Fat 7 g
Saturated 1.5 g
+ Trans 0 g
Cholestrol 0 g
Sodium 60 mg (eeps!)
Carbohydrate 4 g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 3 g

I was a loyal Squirrel customer for years. I honestly prefer this brand now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 9:00 pm 

I am going to be taking almond butter on my next trip. I recently purchased President's Choice "Just Almonds". No sugar or salt added.

per tbsp.
Calories 90
Fat 8 g
Sodium 3 mg (yeah!)
Cholesterol 0 mg
Carbohydrate 3g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 3 g

I too stay away from added sugar and fat. So far I've used almond butter the same way as I would peanut butter and now prefer the change in taste.

Last edited by splashdancer on April 9th, 2007, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 3:17 pm 

For my "no cook" travelling lunches I use a mixture of dried fruits, granola, nuts,etc... I also make mine with the crunchy sesame snack fingers.

Home made jerky, easy and tasty with no preservatives. Keep it frozen or refridgerated in a frostfree fridge and it'll be really dry and stable during your trip. I have some thats several years old. Takes about 3 months out of cold storage before I get wondering if I should still be eating it. Sometimes I substitute the very dry european sausages mentioned elsehwere so every day isn't the same.

Also you can eat ramen noodles without hydrating them. Not as hard as regular pasta, but light and crunchy, with an interesting subtle flavour. Make sure you drink lots if you do this...

Finally I have candy of some sort, usually chocolate based to fill the sugar hit requirements... I tend to snack and drink from about 10 am until 2 pm when on the move.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2013, 3:43 pm 

I am wondering how this will dehydrate and rehydrate? given the comments on how well the cabbage dehydrates.....

1/4 cup sesame seed
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 head cabbage, finely chopped (I've used bagged broccoli slaw you can find in some grocery stores in place of this ingredient)
6 green onions, sliced thin
2 (3 ounce) packages ramen noodles, original flavor

Sauce (make and put on just before serving)
2/3 cup oil
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup cider vinegar (I've used rice wine vinegar in place of this(just adjust sugar and salt to taste)
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/ramen-coleslaw-cabbage-salad-36091?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/ramen-coleslaw-cabbage-salad-36091?oc=linkback</a>

Edit: oops - just discovered similar information by Kerina on page 3 of this thread.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

Last edited by cheryl on May 20th, 2013, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2013, 3:46 pm 

How about this for dehydrating and having cold for lunch? (leave out the water when dehydrating, add when hydrating)

Italian Sausage & Bean Soup Recipe

Ingredients

1 pound bulk hot Johnsonville® Ground Sausage
2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
1 jar (24 ounces) garlic and herb spaghetti sauce
3 cups water

Directions

In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 16-20 minutes or until flavors are blended. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).

Nutritional Facts 1.333 cups equals 416 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,411 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 23 g protein.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Ital ... -Bean-Soup

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: May 21st, 2013, 1:16 pm 

Cheryl, the noodle and cabbage salad looks great.

Cabbage dehydrates very well.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 3:41 pm 

Not sure if this has been mentioned before and I missed it in the thread.

You can buy Powdered Peanut Butter.

The stuff I have is called PB2. Its made by Bell Plantation. 1017 Central Ave North Tifton, GA. they also have a powdered chocolate peanut butter. Its very tasty!!

Just add water to the powder, and if you want it more like commercial pb just add a splash of oil as well.

A relative picked it up for me while driving to Florida. It was $3.99 for a small jar. I haven't looked online yet if you can order it that way.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2013, 5:01 pm 

lunch always sucks.... some more ideas:

-dehydrated (store bought) hummus
-tea biscuit mix (make the night before - can mix it up by adding bacon bits, dehydrated green onion, sundried tomatoes or spice to the biscuits; same ideas as bannock i imagine).
-leftovers, make lots of dinner the night before - that's always an easy solutions.
-tuna packages (tetra-pack vs can's; sold at regular grocery stores) with salsa as a spread (not sure about dehydrating salsa- something i'm going to investigate)

PostPosted: August 11th, 2013, 6:42 pm 

Picked up some take out mango salad from a favourite thai diner, and it dried beautifully and came back great!

PostPosted: August 12th, 2013, 2:34 pm 

If you make bannock with raisins & cinnamon, and then dip it in a bit of maple syrup at lunch time, it's just like french toast...only better.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: August 12th, 2013, 3:16 pm 

Peanut butter and dried cherries. I had it today. On a flour tortilla.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 9:49 am 

Did someone already mention a small can of tuna salad on wraps? Various flavors---spicy thai etc.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 10:01 am 

I started this thread a while ago, and have been very impressed with all the great ideas.

After some initial enthusiasm myself, I now have regressed/devolved on lunches, mainly due to laziness I guess, age, and laziness....did I mention sloth?. I have been tripping these past 2 years now in the "food is fuel" mentality for lunches, and been eating 2 Clif bars per lunch. I still eat well for breakfast and dinner. (My breakfasts are actually evolving I plan to start a thread on my "new" breakfasts soon).

I order Clif bars in bulk once or twice a year from MEC. Not expensive relative to the cost of my trips (gas, hotel, flights, etc). So far I am not growing tired of them. I can eat 2 at a time, or have two 1-bar lunch breaks per afternoon.

Thumbs up for the creative lunchers out there.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 11:55 am 

We just got 2 pre-p quinoa salad and edame salad and dried them. The edame turned out great, the quinoe a little oily. Enough for a several lunches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next