View topic - GSI hard anodized dutch oven wanted

It is currently September 19th, 2019, 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 1:32 pm 

Hi,

I am looking for a Canadian source to buy a GSI hard anodized aluminium 14" dutch oven (mail order). There is no dealer in my province (SK.) and the few outdoor stores here do not special order. I've been to the GSI webiste and there are lots of options on the internet, but they either only ship within the States or the currency conversion rate does not make it worth it. Any tips on a Canadian source with this product/special order would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Heather

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 8:48 pm 

This might be what your after although it doesn't state diameter only weight. A phone call will get that answered.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=672593&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=134981

cheers, Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 9:45 pm 

I don't where to get them in Canada or on the web but I've had one for 20 years and it is the best! :clap:

Last summer I went down the MacKenzie River and used it every night for 5 weeks. It bakes prefectly! Each night I would make bannock, brownies, bread etc. I just set it on top of either a single coleman gas stove or a wood grill. They season just like and maybe better than cast iron and weigh next to nothing.

They are certainly the best item for long term tripping I can imagine. - I used mine for 15 years prior - horsepacking in the American West.

I see them in western feed stores and /or large oldtime hardware stores.

I don't know about the size you want. I have a nested pair and only take the smallest. I had to cut the legs off the larger ones. Good Luck!

Great Choice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2005, 11:18 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

If you go to the GSI "where to buy" page of their website, they list dealers of their products. Not necessarily all dealers will carry the dutch oven you're looking for, but it is a place to start searching (BC, Alberta, Yukon, Ontario having the most dealers.)
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/tobuy/default.asp

GSI home page:
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/index.html

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2005, 10:23 am 

We can order in GSI products if you're stuck. We don't normally stock Dutch ovens, but we do order in other GSI stuff every couple of weeks (Iexan utility boxes, coffee pots, etc)

However, I don't see a 14" model in my listing - Ionly a 10" dia and a 12" dia, that we'd retail for $47.50 and $82.50, respectively.

Let me know - you can contact me by PM or email

Post subject: Dutch oven.
PostPosted: April 25th, 2005, 6:12 pm 

Hi there, I just bought one of these items At Mountain Equipment Co-op here in Ottawa. They had one left on the shelf. A phone call should get it for you. You can get the number using 411. Good luck with the purchase and with the meals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2005, 12:01 am 

I don't know if my oven is a GSI, but I got it at the Scouts store in Brampton. You might check out the local Scout group and find out if and where they get theirs.
Cheers,
Dave

PostPosted: June 13th, 2009, 10:32 am 

I have the hard anodized 10" and 12" dutch ovens. They work very well. I just wish they were made in 8". The anodizing is better than seasoned iron if you're cooking with anything acidic like blueberries. I've toyed with they idea of trying an aluminum "caldera" but i don't think the coals would stay on the lid- but they come in any and every size.