View topic - NO more powdered egg

It is currently October 19th, 2019, 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NO more powdered egg
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 9:45 pm 

Apparently MEC has stopped selling the Canasoy whole powdered eggs or at least the Ottawa MEC as stopped. Their computer states no longer available.
It was the only place I know of to buy in quantity.

Does anybody know of an outlet near Ottawa or a Central Canadian mailorder?
I'm a little leary of trying mailorder from the States as it is a regulated food product and I don't have a clue what Food/Health/Agriculture Canada would do.

thanks Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 10:31 pm 

I had heard that Canasoy went out of business... not sure if it is accurate or not. MEC in Toronto doesn't have the product either. You can order from Walton Feeds in the US.... shipping is a little bit more expensive but they have eggs that are good for baking and ones that are good for eating as eggs.

If you are just baking you can find Kingsmill Egg Replacer in most health food stores. You can also use ground flaxseeds (until they are like a paste) in place of eggs (only works for some types of baking though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 10:52 pm 

Hey Ted,

I search out all the bulk food stores here in Thunder Bay, and I always find some. Which reminds me, I need some more.

Anyways, if you have not already, try all your local bulk food stores. If they are out of stock, maybe ask them who their supplier is, and maybe you can special order?

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 8:53 am 

This company is Canadian, located in Markham Ontario. They have powered eggs and butter, as well as other items. They ship in two or three days or you can pick-up.

http://www.survivalpro.com

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 10:30 am 

http://www.bauly.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 9:09 pm 

thanks for all the pointers everyone.
After a bunch of calls, now have a good source.
cheers Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 9:54 pm 

Hey there Tripper Ted... who did you end up going with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 8:05 am 

******* wrote:
I had heard that Canasoy went out of business... not sure if it is accurate or not.

Certainly is a dead website as of today.

-Jester

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 9:01 am 

MEC had historically been the only supplier in town. A natural food store here in Ottawa called Kardish added powdered egg to their bulk section last month. They started getting phone calls when MEC quit. I've started telling everyone I know here to buy some so Kardish will continue to stock. $16.98 a Kilo.

I'm not a fan of powdered egg straight up but I'd miss scrambled egg with salsa or with hash browns.

The BulkBarn here carries Kingsmill replacer so at least I have a source for pancakes and muffins to fall back on.

Man those freeze-dried fruits at Bauly sure look tempting. They'd sure kick-start my granola/oatmeal and make a lovely cobbler.

If a company lets their website go - they're DEAD for sure!

I can't figure out powdered butter. I sounds like a contradiction in terms. I always thought butter was a fat so how the heck can it be powdered?
cheers Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 9:21 am 

TripperTed wrote:
I can't figure out powdered butter. I sounds like a contradiction in terms. I always thought butter was a fat so how the heck can it be powdered?
cheers Ted

For years we've used Butter Buds in our one pot meals or to sprinkle over items. Great product available in grocery stores down here and it is available in packets or a plastic shaker.

We learned the hard way to be careful pouring from the plastic container when lots of steam was present as the container top took on a slightly different shape. When we pack meals at home we toss a packet in the zip loc bag so we know everything is included.

Years ago we used some powdered shortening from Harvest Foods (long time ago so I am not too sure of the name) for one trip and Butter Buds appears to be similar to that powder although perhaps not marketed for the same purpose.

-Jester

Post subject: subject
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 1:27 pm 

Tripper Ted is the eggs that Kardish sell are they the ones you can cook up and eat as eggs or the kind that is only good for using in baked recipes? I can get the kind to use in baked recipes at our local bulk store but not the other. Also where is Kardish located in Ottawa?
Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 2:00 pm 

OK, I'll have to try some of this butter stuff even if it's only for sprinkling on over-the-campfire made popcorn that my kids love.

Kardish is selling what appears to be a bulk version of Canasoy-type whole egg powder, so it's not just for baking.
I scrambled some up this morning with that pre-packaged pre-cooked bacon and some salsa. Quite edible.

Kardish as several outlets in town. My experience says they all carry the same stuff. The two I use (because I'm in the West end) are the ones at Merrivale Road near Baseline, and the other at a strip mall on Richmond Road in Bells Corners.
They are a great natural food store and carry quite the variety of non-wheat flours and other interesting things. I buy my powdered WHOLE milk there as well as skim milk powder is just a colouring agent not really milk.

happy eating,
Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 3:57 pm 

Here is the link to Butter Buds so you can check out the recommended or suggested uses. Also, you can buy online if you don't find similar product locally.

Butter Buds

-Jester

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm 

Thanks for the tip on a source of whole egg powder., Ted That did well for a couple of years, but today I learned that Kardish is no longer carrying the whole egg powder as of recently. Pity.

I stopped in at my local and quite friendly health food store. The manager, Orouba, knows the whole egg powder (not "egg replacer") we want. She will look into ordering some, and expects to receive it by Wednesday next. Anyone else who is now looking for a source might want to give Orouba at Nature's Care (1500 Bank St) a call at (613)523-1372--it sure would be good to encourage at least one source to keep supplying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 12:14 pm 

You can order whole egg powder from Len Bauly.

Friendly fast service

www.bauly.com