View topic - Who says you can't bake on a Trangia?

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 11th, 2006, 5:54 pm 

After being told many times "you can't bake on a Trangia stove";

I recently found myself windbound for an afternoon, on a blueberry-covered island on Chiniguchi Lake, and decided to give it a try. I used the non stick frying pan, with BOTH pots inverted over the batter, and set it at it's lowest flame setting for about an hour.
The result: a fantastic afternoon blueberry tea-biscuit... If I do say so myself :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 4:33 am 

How much of your success do you think was from the wind? You indicated you were windbount. Most simmer stoves dont bake well in the wind and need to bake on a higher temperature.

So we may avoid baking on windy days or windy spots. You however may be the opposite and that gale force day is your bake day!

Do both pots inverted give a convection effect?

www.ultralignt-hiking.com indicated the Triangia loves windy days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 7:01 am 

Actually, I made sure I was well protected from the wind - set up behind the canoe. I find the Trangia is not as "windproof" as it claims to be...

Yes, I'm sure using the two inverted pots created a convection effect - the top was browning nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 1:42 pm 

My wife and I use a Trangia kit along with a larger aluminum pot and some aluminum foil to bake cakes, biscuits, pizza and panzerotti in the field. So far we've only had good results; every bit as good as what one can make with the Outback Oven.

Here's how we do it:
1) Set up the Trangia burner in its windscreen as normal. Make sure the little pot holder 'legs' are up as you will be resting a larger pot on these.
2) Light the burner without the reducer ring.
3) Put a large bottomed pot on top of the windscreen, resting it on the the little legs.
4) Put 3 small flat stones or pebbles in the bottom of the large pot.
5) Put one of the Trangia cooking pots in the large pot, resting it on the stones. The stones will ensure that the inner pot is not resting directly on the bottom of the large pot so some hot air can circulate under the smaller pot.
6) Put whatever it is you wish to bake inside the smaller pot.
7) Cover the larger pot with some aluminum foil so as to create a closed oven.
Then just wait, lifting the foil occasionally to check on how things are baking.

If anyone would like a pic of what this setup looks like just send me a private message or e-mail and I'll send some. I've forgotten how to attach pics in a post. Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 8:17 am 

Erratum:

In my description of how we bake using the Trangia kit I incorrectly said that the reducing ring was not needed.

The reducing ring should be used, both to save on fuel and so as not to scorch the bottom of the pot.

We find that filling the burner with undiluted fuel, with the reducing ring wide open, will bake most things in 20 minutes (or less). We just baked a nice calzone the night before last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 10:03 pm 

Great post.

I have been toying with the idea of baking bread but I prefer the taste of yeast risen bread over bannock.

Used the following recipe I found on the web because it was very simple.

Found here:

http://members.localnet.com/~jgeorge/firebred.htm

Thanks Joe George for the great recipe.

Basic Bread Dough

1 cup warm water

1 package active yeast

*** add a teaspoon of sugar from the directions on the yeast *****

1 teaspoon salt

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Combine the water, yeast and salt (add teaspoon of sugar) into a medium bowl and allow to rest for 20 minutes, or until the yeast becomes active and frothy.

Place the flour into a large bowl, mound up the flour and make an indentation in the center. Pour the water and yeast mixture into the indentation and, using a wooden spoon, begin to stir the flour into the liquid.

Continue to stir until it is thick enough to handle. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead it for about 10 minutes. The dough should become smooth and supple, if it is sticky knead in a small amount of flour. Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.

Set the bowl in a warm area and allow the dough to double in size, this should take between 45-60 minutes.

After the dough has risen remove the plastic wrap and push the air out of the dough. At this point, the dough may be utilized as the base for any bread or pizza, or it may be placed in a plastic bag and refrigerated for a few days or frozen for up to 6 months.

If refrigerating the dough, use a large enough bag to allow for expansion of the dough or it will burst the bag.

Then used QED and MicMac as inspiration for the Trangia set up.

Used the instant yeast and only change to the recipe was one tablespoon of sugar to the yeast water and salt mix. See ***

Here is the dough before cooking

Here is the set up of the oven

Part way through the cooking.

The finished product

With butter

As for the set up of the trangia I filled the burner with methylated spirits and put the simmer ring on at it's lowest setting.

Also I did it in my shop so wind was negligible. Might be an issue in the field (as noted).

The full burner lasted about one hour (as per Mic Mac) and when it ran out I was done.

Overall I was very suprised that it was so easy and the results and the taste were excellent..

Thanks to Joe George, Mic Mac and QED for the great info and tips. Now for the field test and the taste test with some others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2006, 9:51 am 

Glad the Trangia-style outback oven worked for you Nemo. My wife and I are going to try out your basic bread recipe ourselves.

Happy baking,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 11:47 am 

Nemo:
Well, it took me over a year to finally get around to doing it, but we tried your basic bread recipe and it worked beautifully on the trangia. Thanks.

-Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 11:50 am 

ah Mike - there isn't anything you can't do if you set your mind to it...

Tinny of Minibull Designs shows you how to do it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeW2OfuPJp4

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 12:07 pm 

Nice video clip ******. Do you know what exactly was in that package he used? I'm not sure if it's some quickie bread mix or cake mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 3:03 pm 

QED wrote:
Nice video clip ******. Do you know what exactly was in that package he used? I'm not sure if it's some quickie bread mix or cake mix.

QED I was just exploring http://www.minibulldesign.com and Tinny has posted an update...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysm2TbOLIh4&eurl=

You can see that he is using the pouches of Betty Crocker - and that he also added parchment to his kit so the cake doesn't stick - lol - I could have told him that - I learned that one the hard way about a decade ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 8:54 pm 

QED glad to see it worked out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 6:30 pm 

hey there Nemo - I'm not sure what happened to your photos - I was going to show Bry and noticed that they weren't working anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2008, 3:36 pm 

I posted QED's pics in the gallery

http://www.gallery.myccr.com/index.php?cat=10411