View topic - Questions about dehydrating foods

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 10:11 am 

I make all my meats fat free though I dont worry about pouring boiling water over turkey and pork. They have less than four percent fat.

I do use a vacuum bagger as zippies tend to be untrustworthy (or maybe its me thats untrustworthy with closing) and air can get in if you let down your vigilance.

I have had no issues with home dehydrated foods keeping for up to six weeks in the bush (this included travel time).

I agree with Mac re condensation. I store my stuff in the freezer (because its mouse proof) and have to let them come to room temp before packing the barrel, otherwise that environment all sealed up is wet. I dont want wet as not everything in the barrel is in vacuum bags.

As for fat equals flavor. True. Thats why I add a dollop of olive oil to most every main dish. Olive oil needs no refrigeration. Just because you took the fat out does not mean you cant add it back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 11:42 am 

I should have mentioned that most of my tripping meals are looking more like a Harvest Foodworks Meal.
I either prepare or purchase a multitude of dry food ingredients and then weigh these all out and either package them separately or mixed in with other ingredients that I wish to add to my one pot meal in a certain order, when I am cooking ( rehydrating them).
This is not a low cost method to use because you need a fairly large supply of dried materials. But if you are preparing a lot of meals for a season of tripping it works out OK.

So my Stroganoff would look like this for a single meal, with double the ingredients for 2 people :

Dried G/B 35
Egg Noodles 45
R/G Peppers 10
Mushrooms 5
Oxo 5
Onions 5
Sour Cream Powder 35
Dried Parsley 2
142g
All of the ingredients are dried.The oxo is an attempt to add back some flavour, since I have removed most of the fat from the dried G/B, but I sometimes add olive oil as well, when I am boiling it up. You can start this meal and be eating it in about 10 minutes.

A single Chili would look like this:

G/B for Chili, Dried G/B 40
Brown Beans 50
Dried Pasta Sauce 35
Oxo 5
Mushrooms 5
Onions 10
Prepared Chili Mix 10
155g
( all of the numbers moved around on me when I tried to post, but they are in grams and should add up to the bold number for a total weight)
The beans here are precooked and then dried. They look exactly like the ones in a Harvest Foodworks Chili and Bean package, all broken out after drying and then on rehydrating they seem to mostly go back to looking like normal beans.The dried pasta sauce is made from tomatoe powder , dried spices (from a bottle of Italian spices) dried chopped onions, some dried mushrooms, garlic powder, parsley, brown sugar etc. and I usually add some olive oil when I dump the powder into the pot.
It takes about 10 or 12 minutes to get this ready to eat.

Last year I used about 25 different meals to trip with. Most were old standbys that work everytime, a few newer ones were duds, that even the dog turned her nose up at. But that is what experimentation is all about. I always carry some extra meals in case this happens and we had some good fish dinners, always a nice treat when subsisting on dried stuff on a lengthy trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 12:01 pm 

Brianl:
Quote:
Many cheeses will dry fine as well, despite a relatively high fat content. When I dry cheddar (shredded), I used to blot the fat off that tends to gather on the surface.

I have been using Mozarella cheese, low fat variety, wrapped in Saran and then vacuum packaged.No drying, just stored in the freezer until needed for a trip. After removal from the freezer I have used it after storing for 4 weeks at ambient in summer conditions. Some fat/oil separation is usually evident and the cheese may be soft, but can be hardened up but placing the vac package in lake water before grating or trying to cut it.

I think if you are meticulous in repackaging you do not need to store it in the cold or dehydrate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 12:38 pm 

I found a trick on this site somewhere, which blew my mind. Wrap the cheese in paper towels dipped in vinegar (I prefer apple cider) and seal it air tight. I dry vac, but dipping it in wax is better since you can use the wax for fire purposes. The cheese is IDENTICAL to its original form, even a week later. I have to thank who ever posted this trick first... its insanely amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2007, 12:44 pm 

Mac - I like your idea of weighing the ingredients. I noticed this earlier this year from one of your posts. I have begun to change my recipes to this method. Much more control and consistency for single serving meals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 1:29 pm 

flyrod wrote:
A handfull of TVP is pure protein for those achy muscles.

Flyrod - you should try some quinoa - it is a great protein

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 4:28 pm 

Just bought a FD-75R from costco.ca.. they dropped the price by 5$ to make up for the rising loney. Total was 84$ (65+shipping + tax). Now Im looking forward to getting my cooking books I ordered from amazon.com. Any suggested recipes to work in my new baby?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2007, 4:28 pm 

gcc_mtl wrote:
Just bought a FD-75R from costco.ca.. they dropped the price by 5$ to make up for the rising loney. Total was 84$ (65+shipping + tax). Now Im looking forward to getting my cooking books I ordered from amazon.com. Any suggested recipes to work in my new baby?

What books did you buy? If you bought *******'s I can tell you what I like.

hungarian goulash
    chicken maggi something or other
    chipotle pork
    harvest pork
    lentil salad
    quinoa soup with spinach
    blueberry cake
    breakfast cake

I'm a happy guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2007, 4:36 pm 

There, that's even better!

Pot stirring post removed in the interest of peace, order and good government. It's the Candian way, eh?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Last edited by wotrock on December 14th, 2007, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2007, 3:37 am 

I did buy WC's book, and another recommended one. The other books are camping/canoe related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2007, 7:11 am 

gcc_mtl wrote:
Whats the inside joke on salads? I've read so much salad bashing comments around these forums, I need to know...

There was once lentil salad served in this here cafeteria, and before we knew it, there was a food fight. No more lentils, was the rule then - it makes you pass too much gas. Of course, our bunch of joke-sters here can't resist smuggling the occasional substance past the gate....

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2007, 7:57 am 

Erhard wrote:
gcc_mtl wrote:
Whats the inside joke on salads? I've read so much salad bashing comments around these forums, I need to know...

There was once lentil salad served in this here cafeteria, and before we knew it, there was a food fight. No more lentils, was the rule then - it makes you pass too much gas. Of course, our bunch of joke-sters here can't resist smuggling the occasional substance past the gate....

Ah yes, too many cooks in the kitchen. Erhard you should try Lu's salad. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of man but this is flavorful with bite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 10:37 am 

I have the American Harvester model that I bought from Walmart a few years back. I started dehydrating once I started tripping regularly and wasn't satisfied with the taste of the store bought pouches or the price for that matter! We rehydrate in wide mouth nalgene bottles using cold water. The cold water takes a bit longer to soak in but during breakfast we add water for lunch and so on - all there is left to do is heat it up and potentially add a little more water to desired consistancy. Over hydrating results in a watery soup basically so gradually add water so you don't have to pour any of the flavor away.

Once you get the hang of things you'll never go back.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2008, 9:51 am 

I did not purchase any book to learn how to dehydrate very tastey meals for lighter tripping. Ther are many great ideas in the Library, and this site has recipes that have been shared freely with others. Most of my dehydrated meals are ones we would eat at home anyway but then dehydrated for lighter carrying. Just finished a batch of Venison jerky. One roast can go a long way on a trip. Easy peasy slice, marinate, deydrate.
Have fun with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 8:49 am 

I'm a touch confused which doesn't take much to do.

So what is the recommended way to make a dehydrated meal:

1) precook everything in one big pot and just throw left overs in the dehydrator.
2) precook everything in one big pot but the meat and dehydrate.
3) precook everything seperately and prepare the meal on the camp site.

I'm hoping the answer is number 1 as I really don't want to make this difficult. Back to the very first point, doesn't take much for me to get confused.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next