View topic - Canned goods recipes

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canned goods recipes
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 9:34 am 

Any one have some good recipes based on canned goods?

We have a canoe trip coming up. Ten days on the ocean. We have to bring all our water. I 'm not looking to bring more water to rehydrate..we are up to 160 lbs of fresh water already.

And storing the water is an issue. Because the wildlife craves fresh water it must be stored in hard sided containers.

Its in the tropics so I am leery of being able to keep things cold ...certainly not frozen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 9:41 am 

Hey there - LRC - I have a few but can't post them publicly. Send me an email and I'll send them to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 9:45 am 

Littlered:
Why don't you look at Military Ready to Eat Meals.
A quick Google will turn up lot's of suppliers.( Meals-Ready to Eat, MRE's)
Some types may be available in your local grocery store as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 9:59 am 

Mac wrote:
Littlered:
Why don't you look at Military Ready to Eat Meals.
A quick Google will turn up lot's of suppliers.( Meals-Ready to Eat, MRE's)
Some types may be available in your local grocery store as well.

There are loads in the local Army Navy store. The entrees are interesting but I dont want all the rest of the stuff. I hate M and Ms and they all have that for a snack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 10:44 am 

I think the ones in the grocery stores are Entrees only, without all the add on's included.
Just a thought.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 11:36 am 

Backpacker web site listed several places that sell individual retort and MRE items individually without making you buy a "meal" that has extra stuff you don't want.

http://www.longlifefood.com/

If you want the moisture already added Google search "retort" as that is the type of product that just needs to be warmed up with no water added.

-Jester

Post subject: subject
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 12:20 pm 

This is not a recipe but one of the packaged meals we enjoy on trips is Zatarain's Jambalaya, although it does call for water in the directions on the box. We add to it chicken in foil pouches, shrimp in foil pouches and dried hard sausage all found in super markets in the USA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 3:44 pm 

I like the Zatarains. They have a dirty rice recipe that is great. It used to have a really good version with pork. Of course once I find something I like the supermarket yanks it :evil: There used to be foil packet chicken and shrimp and clams and oysters and mussels. No more.

Zatarains also has the boxed mixes, but the Dirty rice is in a foil pouch and does not need water. (It benefits from a tablespoon or two)

I guess all MRE's arent the same huh? The only Army Navy store close to here has those hunking big packages with soap and wipes and napkins and utensils...

But I was wondering if anyone had any good ways to perk up canned Chili or Dinty Moore Beef Stew etc.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 4:30 pm 

Kim are the grocery stores no longer carrying the faoil packed chicken ect.? I was in a grocery store in the USA about 2 months ago and they had some then. I look forward to buying my camping supply of foil packaged goods from the US each spring.
Check out the websites for Dinty Moore, Stagg chili ect. they often have trecipes to use with their products.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 5:00 pm 

If you browse through the Hormel Foods Recipe website you may find some recipes you can adapt to your needs. I make spam chimichangas that I found on here and have adapted for camping. Even though they are made with spam they really are quite good.
http://www.hormelfoodsrecipes.com/recipes.aspx
Ingredients
-
1 SPAM® Classic (12-ounce) can finely chopped
-
2/3 cup CHI-CHI'S® Picante Sauce

-
1/3 cup chopped onion
-
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
-
2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
-
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

SPAM™ Chimichangas

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Directions
Heat oven to 475°F. Combine SPAM®, picante sauce, and onion. Brush tortilla with butter. Spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture down center of tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold two sides over filling; fold ends down. Place seam-side down in 13x9-inch baking dish. Brush outside of tortilla with remaining butter. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Top with additional picante sauce to serve.

Camping Version
For two

2 – 3oz. foil spam packages
1/3 cup salsa sauce (dehydrated)
3 Tablespoons chopped onion (dehydrated)
2 large flour tortillas
1-Tablespoon margarine melted
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Re hydrate onions and salsa sauce. Combine spam, onions and salsa sauce. Brush tortilla with butter and spoon meat mixture down center of tortilla; add ¼ cup cheddar cheese. Fold two sides over filling: fold ends down. Wrap in foil and place either above hot coals or in frying pan until golden in colour and cheese is melted.

You could use the salsa sauce that come in the packets that are in the taco kits. Omit the margerine (Ido) and try velveeta cheese.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 5:05 pm 

Salmon Cakes
- this recipe was provided by Shelley Lauzon… thanks Shelley
1/2 package Stove Top brand stuffing
3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (or four little packages - the kind you get from restaurants)
1 pouch or can salmon
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons dried onion
3 ozs water
At Home: Put lemon juice in a small leak-proof container. Put stuffing in a zipper bag along with a small leak-proof container of lemon juice and a small bag of dried onion.
At Camp: Add a little water to the onion and allow re-hydrating for about 10 minutes then drain. Mix all ingredients together and let sit for 10 minutes. Shape into patties and cook on a greased frying pan until golden on both sides (about 3 - 4 minutes per side). Serves 2.

Post subject: Re: subject
PostPosted: December 17th, 2007, 1:49 am 

carbritkye wrote:
Kim are the grocery stores no longer carrying the faoil packed chicken ect.? I was in a grocery store in the USA about 2 months ago and they had some then. I look forward to buying my camping supply of foil packaged goods from the US each spring.
Check out the websites for Dinty Moore, Stagg chili ect. they often have trecipes to use with their products.

not plain chicken but lemon chicken bbq chicken and some other variation that never fits my menu. Why they had to meddle with the plain stuff I dont know.
And the shrimp, mussels oysters and clams are gone. Smoked salmon is stil available and is quite good even at home.

Stagg Chili in a box is elusive too. I like the country style. The box got around all those pesky regs and was good before long portages. Too heavy for after (never dehydrated it!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2007, 11:57 am 

LRC

Here is another site you might want to look at.

http://www.thereadystore.com/

They have the individual entrees without the "extras"

Trevor

Post subject: Re: subject
PostPosted: December 17th, 2007, 1:58 pm 

carbritkye wrote:
The grocers in Cleveland have multiple brands of pouch chicken from Tyson, Valley Fresh and other providers. Not all stores carry all products but there is no lack down here.

-Jester

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2007, 2:34 pm 

Jester,

I hear there are a lot of Chickens in Cleveland, OH Some play football. :wink:

Barry

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"