View topic - Cream for coffee.

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cream for coffee.
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 8:28 am 

In planing for some trips next year with my wife I need to bring cream for her coffee or a good supply of bear spray. :lol: A couple of questions.
Can you dehydrate Cream and how does it taste?
Can you vacuumed pack it and how long would it last.
no she can not use coffeemate. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 8:49 am 

Use Bailey's Irish Cream. No refrigeration requiered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 9:10 am 

JeromeS

There is a product Lilydipper uses which is a standard grocery store item.

I beieve it is a 10% product, and comes in the same packaging and size
as a juice box. It does not require refrigeration until opened.

We usually carry 3-6 packs of this, and her 1 litre regular 10%
cream survives beforehand in a small barrel sized 5 day cooler.

I do not have the product name, but will advise for you the next time we are at
the Grocery store.

Regards

sundown

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 9:31 am 

Hiya Jerome,

http://www.brookside.co.ke/longlife.asp?catid=1#

uht tetra pack milk in the 250 ml size.....haven't found cream but whole milk is available....it is camping after all :wink:

drop ******* (Laurie) and email if she doesn't reply here. She's been sniffing out new products and experimenting for her cook book (she's our resident foodie) she might have come across something better suited

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 9:39 am 

This is a little obvious, but whats wrong with creamer? I see it all over the place in Europe, and on the flights there. Its not exactly the same thing, but its a real close facsimile. It weight nothing, tasty, and mixes well in everything (I use it to make sauces too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 10:04 am 

You know GCC, I thought those little things went bad....so I did a quick search and the proessing of such things is way evolved:
check out www.packworld.com if you're interested

Like the previous cartons with a 60-day shelf life, the aseptic cartons produced on the U-S80 A are sold in refrigerated sections, though refrigeration is not necessary for the aseptic gabletop to maintain its 90-day shelf life. All testing done to confirm the longer shelf life was conducted at ambient temperatures. Selling the product in the refrigerated case is done because a cold product blends more evenly within a hot cup of coffee than if kept at room temperatures.

I guess if you check the specific company manufacturing process on our side of the pond?

OK.....so I am avoiding cleaning today......not obvious is it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
international delight migt be an option but looks like they only come in flavors

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 10:17 am 

Gail --> where does that link bring me?

Are we talking about the same thing here? Creamer is powder, it doesn't go bad for a really, really long time, much like powdered milk. And it doesnt taste like Coffeemate
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11439078/N ... tener_.jpg

I also couldn't resist. This stuff is super flammable, as is any powder really..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Tv0da6AEQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 10:29 am 

I think Gail is referring to the little creamers (creamettes?) that you get in cafeterias or coffee shops. They hold about 3/4 - 1 ounce each.

They can be refrigerated, but do not need to be. The foil tops can be a little delicate so pack them carefully inside another container so they don't leak all over your gear.

Trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 10:31 am 

Gail R wrote:
Hiya Jerome,

http://www.brookside.co.ke/longlife.asp?catid=1#
uht tetra pack milk in the 250 ml size.....haven't found cream but whole milk is available....it is camping after all :wink:

Cream, or at least 'half and half', is also avail in 250 but hard to find. I found some in a supermarket some time ago. One of the coffe clubs at work used it on a regular basis--bought it from Imperial Coffee

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 10:43 am 

Hiya again GCC....lol, different visions of the word creamer. Trevor has what I meant....sorry for the confusion (I never knew those little things had unrefriderrated shelf life)......... the link is to the company that manufactures the european "creamer" I think it's liquid though.....I thought some of the process engineers might like a link.

wow....the utube thing.....wholy moly.......it went up like hairspray! :o

there you go Jerome...... we managed without WC :lol:
altough, Wotrock and I probably had to fight the urge to give you the Maritime answer which is Carnation........ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 11:05 am 

Gail R wrote:
drop ******* (Laurie) and email if she doesn't reply here. She's been sniffing out new products and experimenting for her cook book (she's our resident foodie) she might have come across something better suited

IIRC she was onto a new molecular technology that allows for the dehydration of fatty foods. She'd be the one who would know for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 11:20 am 

Evaporated milk is often substituted for cream.

There is evaporated cream but it has the consistency of sour cream so its a little thick for coffee. Ought to be in your supermarket.

Since cream is 36 percent butterfat, no you cant dehydrate it..all it does is get thicker.

How long is your trip? Take a cooler and wrap the container in a wet towel. Evaporative cooling works very well even for weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 5:38 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
There is evaporated cream but it has the consistency of sour cream so its a little thick for coffee.

Take a cooler and wrap the container in a wet towel. Evaporative cooling works very well even for weeks.

That's right, and I forgot about the English "Double Cream" and "Devon Cream" types you can usually find in the gourmet sections of big supermarkets. They will keep a lot longer than regular heavy cream. Expensive for sure, but cheaper than bear spray.:lol:

Evaporative cooling works great, but if the weather is hot and very humid you won't really see much of a net decrease in temperature. It all depends on the dew point. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 11:31 pm 

Evap cooling works in the desert and in the boreal forest. I forget about Algonquin and its weeks of summer steam baths... still ought to be ok if kept in the shade. Those little creamers I think are ultrapasteurized. I think they dont need to be kept real cool.

Evap cooling is off if her paddle trip is to Costa Rica though..lazy days on a beach 8)

Also there is Nido, powdered whole milk that you mix up. If you reduce the water added it ought to come out the consistency of cream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 12:03 am 

Hi,

I am pretty sure that the can of heavy cream pictured a couple of posts back says right on the can "not for use in hot drinks'. I think it breaks and goes all greasy. It makes a terrific dessert if you layer with chocolate biscuits and stewed dried apricots.

Being a former coffee drinker, the only options I know of are keeping real cream cool for a few days then switching to canned evaporated milk.

Margaret