View topic - Steamed mussels

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steamed mussels
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 7:23 pm 

I've been a fan of this guy for some time and while few of you may have easy access to fresh wild mussels I often do on my west coast trips.

I see two issues with being able to do this so I'm looking for ideas. The first problem is how the heck can I carry tomatoes on trips that last up to three weeks at a time?

The second question I'd like some help with is how to find a big boiling pot with a removable handle that I can pack? I've always wanted the ability to boil large amounts of water and over an open fire but I would need it to be light.. anyone have something like this?

Here is the recipe....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_NiFz15IU

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 7:52 pm 

he's pretty funny

you could dehydrate the tomatoes, onion and garlic but that would change the texture somewhat

the only thing I could think of is to do it in a backpacker style pot with a lid such as the MSR Duralite Gourmet - and cook over your single burner stove - you'd probably have to cook 2 or 3 pots worth - they steam fast though

wine could be taken in a Nalgene

alternatively just get one of those aluminum camp pots with a lid from CTire

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 8:05 pm 

I have never had much trouble keeping garlic and onions for almost a full three weeks, as long as you dont peel them that is. As for the tomatoes, I wouldn't have thought dehydrated would work that well but Krusty proved me wrong last summer as the meat and veggies he dehydrated reconstituted extremely well. I dont own a dehydrator and dont really want to buy one but I wonder if I could find a store here does a very good job of it.

Thanks for the tips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 8:43 pm 

We use a cheap light gauge stainless pot with two short d-type handles on the sides and a flat lid. Our regular mess kit nests inside so it really doesn't take up any extras room. We got ours from Wally World or whatever you have near you will carry them (about $20). It's great to heat water up for washing when we're done.

We always carry sun-dried tomatoes when we camp. They have superior flavor and keep forever. I have a great recipe for steamed mussels as well. I serve it with a risotto which is a cinch in the wild:

- 1 stalk fresh fennel (anise)
- 8 oz. piece of hot chorizo sausage (find the real Spanish or Portugese stuff, it tastes 10 times better than store bought)
- 2 oz. Ouzo or other anise flavored liquor (optional)
- 1 cup wine (white is best, I use dry vermouth and drink the red)
- 1 large bulb garlic
- 4 oz. ex. virgin olive oil
- 3-4 pounds fresh mussels

Peel and slice the garlic and sauté in the olive oil until tan colored. Reserve half of the mixture. Place 1/2 of the oil/garlic mix into the pot and add the chorizo, sliced about 1/4" thick. Lightly brown. Add the fennel cut into thick slice and saute until just fork tender. Add 1/2 of the wine and the Ouzo. Bring to a simmer and add the scrubbed mussels. Cover and simmer on low heat until just opened.

Risotto Milanese:

- 1 cup Arborio (or some other risotto rice, it has to be the real thing
- 4 cups chicken stock (bouillon will do in the bush)
- 2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using bouillon)
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan (for God's sake use the real stuff)

In a small saucepan stir the rice in the remainder of the oil/garlic mix on low heat until translucent (2-4 minutes). Add the remainder of the wine and the saffron and simmer until just absorbed, then add a little stock (should be hot if you can manage it in the bush) and let that absorb. Stir constantly. Keep adding and stirring a little at a time. After about 15 or 20 minutes add the sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced. Add and stir more broth until rice it just al dente then stop adding broth (you may not need all 4 cups broth). Take off the heat and set aside until almost all the liquid is absorbed, then add the grated Parm (a couple tablespoons butter as well if you have it handy). The rice should be firm yet creamy with a hint of moisture in it.

Bon Appétit :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 10:08 pm 

Monster wrote:
I have never had much trouble keeping garlic and onions for almost a full three weeks, as long as you dont peel them that is. As for the tomatoes, I wouldn't have thought dehydrated would work that well but Krusty proved me wrong last summer as the meat and veggies he dehydrated reconstituted extremely well. I dont own a dehydrator and dont really want to buy one but I wonder if I could find a store here does a very good job of it.

Thanks for the tips!

you can dehydrate them in a regular oven or buy them from www.justtomatoes.com

I must not be very gentle with my pack - my onions and garlic generally end up pretty bruised even after 5 days

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 10:53 pm 

Ya know BK, I actually have one of those very pots you speak of, brand new because I never use it too. Two days ago I was thinking about taking it down to the storage area to free up some cupboard space. The bottom of it would get pretty black and gunky but maybe I could find something to stick it in when on the go..?

I like the idea of using sun dried tomatoes instead, I'd just need to stop my self from dipping into that Ouzo. I copied your Risotto Milanese recipe by the way... that looks uber easy so I'll run with that!

Great suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 12:46 am 

Monster wrote:
The bottom of it would get pretty black and gunky but maybe I could find something to stick it in when on the go..?

I bought a crap load of sil-nylon that somehow made its way into the Wal-Mart bargain bin. $1/yard! My wife is going to sew up some bags for just that purpose. If you sew or your SO does it's a great use for the stuff. PM me if you're interested and I'm sure I can send some your way, I have more than I'll ever need.

The risotto is so great on a trip because it's halfway cooked by the time you'd get a pot of water boiling. That source for bulk saffron makes it affordable too. It's the very best saffron you can buy, you can use half the amount as the store bought stuff. The price went up recently because it's from Iran. All those pesky tearists waiting for Bush to bomb 'em. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 6:44 am 

oh Battenkiller - that Risotto sounds delicious... I am going to have to try it!! Actually the other recipe sounds yummy too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 8:27 pm 

Bk, I must have missed that source for bulk saffron, where was that?

WC, that is a great site for dried goods, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 9:09 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

It's the word "saffron" in his post...it's a link.

Like the word "chorizo".

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 10:30 pm 

Barbara wrote:
It's the word "saffron" in his post...it's a link.

Like the word "chorizo".

Barbara

Hey, what's goin' on? I checked the link I posted in blue type during preview and in the actual post and it was clickable and took me to the proper sites. Now I see you've changed it like in another of my posts. Did it suddenly become unclickable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 10:36 pm 

I didn't change anything in this thread.

If I had, I would have said so, like I did in the other thread.

The links are still clickable....hold your cursor over them......that's the only way I knew those words were links.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 10:50 pm 

Battenkiller wrote:
We use a cheap light gauge stainless pot with two short d-type handles on the sides and a flat lid. Our regular mess kit nests inside so it really doesn't take up any extras room. We got ours from Wally World or whatever you have near you will carry them (about $20). It's great to heat water up for washing when we're done.

We always carry sun-dried tomatoes when we camp. They have superior flavor and keep forever. I have a great recipe for steamed mussels as well. I serve it with a risotto which is a cinch in the wild:

- 1 stalk fresh fennel (anise)
- 8 oz. piece of hot chorizo sausage (find the real Spanish or Portugese stuff, it tastes 10 times better than store bought)
- 2 oz. Ouzo or other anise flavored liquor (optional)
- 1 cup wine (white is best, I use dry vermouth and drink the red)
- 1 large bulb garlic
- 4 oz. ex. virgin olive oil
- 3-4 pounds fresh mussels

Peel and slice the garlic and sauté in the olive oil until tan colored. Reserve half of the mixture. Place 1/2 of the oil/garlic mix into the pot and add the chorizo, sliced about 1/4" thick. Lightly brown. Add the fennel cut into thick slice and saute until just fork tender. Add 1/2 of the wine and the Ouzo. Bring to a simmer and add the scrubbed mussels. Cover and simmer on low heat until just opened.

Risotto Milanese:

- 1 cup Arborio (or some other risotto rice, it has to be the real thing
- 4 cups chicken stock (bouillon will do in the bush)
- 2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using bouillon)
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan (for God's sake use the real stuff)

In a small saucepan stir the rice in the remainder of the oil/garlic mix on low heat until translucent (2-4 minutes). Add the remainder of the wine and the saffron and simmer until just absorbed, then add a little stock (should be hot if you can manage it in the bush) and let that absorb. Stir constantly. Keep adding and stirring a little at a time. After about 15 or 20 minutes add the sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced. Add and stir more broth until rice it just al dente then stop adding broth (you may not need all 4 cups broth). Take off the heat and set aside until almost all the liquid is absorbed, then add the grated Parm (a couple tablespoons butter as well if you have it handy). The rice should be firm yet creamy with a hint of moisture in it.

Bon Appétit :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 10:59 pm 

Weird. When I posted originally, both were in blue. After Monster's question I looked up and they weren't in blue. Now "chorizo" is in blue and "saffron" is, well...light bold? Maybe I'm going nuts...or time to get a new monitor. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 11:07 pm 

Got it, many thanks Bk..!