View topic - Steamed mussels

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2008, 7:32 am 

a quick solution is to also add the Underline option to the text you are making into a link - at least it stays underlined that way - because the setup here makes it really hard to tell that they are links - in fact if Barbara hadn't mentioned it I would have had no idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 10:59 pm 

Hey monster....why bother with a pot....you got access to the freshest mussels you can get....just toss them on the grill...or onto a grillin rock and let the heat of the fire cook them as is....they are already marinated in beautiful saltwater...the heat from the fire will steam them in their shells.....a small pot of garlic butter for dipping may be needed for those who need to mask the taste of GOOD seafood however!

Kirk

[color=

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 11:34 pm 

Hey Krik, that is exactly how I cook oysters but mussels are much more delicate and although I've tried them that way, trust me when I say you really have to steam them. When you have access to lots of mussels and oysters that are always as fresh as you can get... you tend to appreciate more divers collections of recipes.

The pots and pans I've always carried have done a fine job of steaming mussels for me in the past, the reason I want the big pot is for occasions when I need to collect rain water (often) and so that I can always have a large supply hot water on the go for cooking and washing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2008, 10:55 am 

Just wanted to step back in here about an error in my Risotto Milanese recipe. I forgot to halve the amount of saffron. Even buying in bulk, a whole teaspoon of saffron makes for a pretty expensive side dish.

The saffron from this supplier is intensely strong in both color and flavor (go to his homepage to read all about saffron) and even less can be used, but I just load up on it. When I nail it just right the saffron and the Parmesan seem to fight each other for dominance in the dish.

Also, make sure you add the wine as the first liquid then add no more after that. I've forgot it once and put it in toward the end and it made the dish bitter.:-? Don't add too much salt or use too strong a bouillon as the cheese is quite salty and you will ruin the delicacy if all you taste is salt. I'm Italian and male to boot, so I don't measure; I adjust by taste. The broth should be just salty enough to detect the salt.

Finally, to feel like you've died and gone to heaven, substitute (or add) a couple of fresh shallots, sauted like the garlic at the beginning. Then take a few oil-cured olives (you can vacuum pack these), dice them up and sprinkle on top.

Yummy. 8)

Hey WC...want to put this in Fork 2? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2008, 12:26 pm 

I'd have to sub out the chicken stock with vegetable stock (lol - that might give you a big hint about what Fork 2 will be)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2008, 4:05 pm 

******* wrote:
I'd have to sub out the chicken stock with vegetable stock (lol - that might give you a big hint about what Fork 2 will be)

Veggie stock would be tasty, but if it'll be totally vegan you'll have to leave out the cheese :( and call it something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 9:01 am 

If you want to make it vegan, wouldn't you have to leave out the mussels too? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 11:26 am 

lost_patrol wrote:
If you want to make it vegan, wouldn't you have to leave out the mussels too? :-?

:lol:

I meant the risotto, which is a separate side dish recipe that calls for a chicken stock and cheese. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 12:47 pm 

could leave the cheese an option as some of the vegetarians I know will eat cheese.... for the vegans it would have to be omitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 8:28 pm 

So if we leave out the chicken stock and the cheese from the risotto side dish, and we leave out the mussels from the main dish, what's left?

I'm an omnivore, I think I'm gonna open a tin of Spam . . . too bad, because I like mussels and I like risotto . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 9:31 pm 

lost_patrol wrote:
So if we leave out the chicken stock and the cheese from the risotto side dish, and we leave out the mussels from the main dish, what's left?

I'm an omnivore, I think I'm gonna open a tin of Spam . . . too bad, because I like mussels and I like risotto . . .

ya but I'm writing a vegetarian book... there are substitutes... and it gave some great inspiration to create a new dish

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 10:32 pm 

There's another option, the tin of Spam could be enhanced with a bottle of rum which is full of liquid carbohydrates . . . vegetarians could leave out the Spam

sorry, but I do like risotto, I do like cheese, I do like mussels, and for adequate nutrition I need them all to supplement the rum in my diet . . . for the moment, I'm eating cheese and drinking rum, the mussels will have to wait until I go the the market tomorrow, there's a wine shop right next to the fish place so I can forget the rum . . .

sad thing is, when I'm camping, the wine is heavy but otherwise easy to transport, the mussels will freeze like rocks and the cheese is hard to grate for the same reason, the risotto would be delicious but takes a lot of cooking on a wood stove . . . this is going to require more thought . . . maybe a box of Kraft dinner and a tin of mussels

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 7:39 am 

lost_patrol wrote:
. . . vegetarians could leave out the Spam.

or anyone with tastebuds... lol (couldn't resist the tease - I'm the anti-spam)

carbritkye is still trying to get me to eat that stuff