View topic - Boiled potatoes instead of gorp?

It is currently November 29th, 2020, 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 9:00 am 

I felt like I was running out of energy during a hike through the woods last night, and stopped to have some apples, the only food I was carrying. The energy boost afterwards was great, more than when I had been carrying gorp or chocolate bars in the past (and yes, this is subjective and gorp could have worked as well at the time).

Years ago I heard that boiled potatoes are another way to keep energy up instead of sweet energy foods like gorp and chocolate... has anybody tried this to see if it actually works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 9:29 am 

Glycemic index
http://www.diabetes.ca/Section_About/glycemic.asp

Gorp is not a uniform substance so it will depend on what you have in it.....lots of peanuts? then yes, the potato will work better.

Try sweet potatoes as they have more nutrients? Also the method of cooking effects availability of sugar.

Not sure on the potassium digestion and when it's available temporally but if you're dehydrated the kick of getting an electrolyte probably helps too?

pure guesses on my part

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 10:56 am 

Gail, thanks for commenting... the electrolyte boost I really hadn't thought about, because I've never carried electrolyte drinks before.

From the glycemic index chart, apples are ranked low, so the apples wouldn't have provided the amounts of blood sugar that chocolate and gorp would have in the past, so maybe there were electrolytes in the apples, and that was what worked. I had water with me, so dehydration wasn't the problem.

Potatoes are ranked medium to high and might provide blood sugar more slowly than sweet energy foods... anyway, trying each separately is something to try during the next several times out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 11:42 am 

Are you talking sugar rush or substainable energy boost?

Complexity of the carbs?

Chocolate is glucose...boost spike then quick clearance. Potatoe digestion is different. Lasts longer...instant mashed is really high.

I pack electrolytes...not as a function of canoeing...more a mom who always had pedeilyte around and see it as a fast recovery from the flu or heat exposure. Skinny kids who don't like to drink unless thirsty.......comes with the territory

Anyways, there has to be someone out there with a practical explantion why?

the physical delight of biting an apple is much more sensory than a handful of peanuts..... it's a treat food on trips but you were hiking.

Sugar and fat are the reward center conectors (opioids and happy responce) so I'm guessing it was sensory input and associations with eating it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 12:09 pm 

Gail, I had two apples to eat in the woods last night.... after two hours hike in, had them, then felt much better during the two hours out. On the way in, there wasn't much energy and I kept thinking that I hadn't packed enough food, wishing that I had brought the chocolate that I usually bring for energy.

The apples really worked as a pick-me-up and I wasn't expecting them to, so maybe there was something there besides the psychological sensory boost you write about... although the mind always works on the body, so there's always that coming into the picture.

The reason I thought of trying the boiled potatoes next time was because of their longer-lasting energy boost rather than the quick sugar rush that disappears quickly after having sweet energy foods, maybe the apples were working like that... this is what some campers I ran into years ago were saying, they no longer carried sweet energy foods, instead they kept taking bites from boiled potatoes to keep that longer-lasting energy supply going.

Anyway, I'm gonna try it... will report on the results.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 5:20 pm 

Yes, it makes sense that apples will carry you better than your normal chocolate. Chocolate is mostly sugar and fat. The sugar will give you a quick boost, but won't be there for you an hour later. And the fat digests slowly, so it won't help you much over the following few hours.
The apples, even sour tasting ones, have a little fructose which is a simple sugar that goes straight to the blood, and gives you a quick burst. It also has more complex carbs that will still be converting to sugar after the fructose is gone.

There are lots of variables (type, cooking method), but generally the starch in potatoes converts quickly into sugar. I'm wondering, though, if the increased density of the potato (compared to an apple) gives it an advantage - pound for pound apples may be a better go, but by volume there is more "stuff" in potatoes?

What do you put in your gorp that makes you think of it as sweet?

PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 5:41 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
Gail, I had two apples to eat in the woods last night.... after two hours hike in, had them, then felt much better during the two hours out. On the way in, there wasn't much energy and I kept thinking that I hadn't packed enough food, wishing that I had brought the chocolate that I usually bring for energy.
The apples really worked as a pick-me-up and I wasn't expecting them to,
so maybe there was something there besides the psychological sensory boost you write about... although the mind always works on the body, so there's always that coming into the picture.
The reason I thought of trying the boiled potatoes next time was because of their longer-lasting energy boost rather than the quick sugar rush that disappears quickly after having sweet energy foods, maybe the apples were working like that... this is what some campers I ran into years ago were saying, they no longer carried sweet energy foods, instead they kept taking bites from boiled potatoes to keep that longer-lasting energy supply going.
Anyway, I'm gonna try it... will report on the results.

:o

8)

yah, yah, yaaah.
never mind the chemistry
this is what dem Bo-day-does are reeeally about:
The Tin Drum ( Die Blechtrommel)
a 1978 film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Günter Grass.

:P

P.S. You'll see, trust me

PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 6:11 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

I think your energy boost was a result of the rest you took to eat the apples.

The intensity of most hiking is such that you mostly burn fat for fuel ,which most of us have in unlimited reserves.

True, fat burns in a carbohydrate flame, but I think it was the rest that did the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 6:48 pm 

Krusty,

Quote:
What do you put in your gorp that makes you think of it as sweet?

Lately it was broken-up chocolate, thompson raisins and nuts... walnuts, almonds, etc.... maybe some cookies thrown in for carbs. Chocolate increases thirst, so there's a need to drink more water with it.

On long paddles and hikes, I usually carried apples because they had sort of a feelgood effect after being eaten. Maybe the fructose did have something to do with that, it always felt better to have some apples thrown into the pack..

Siren, I saw the film, The Tin Drum, looong ago... there was a little German kid that fell down the stairs and that changed his life? i really don't remember more than that, except he was with a little girl through the film.

Bo-day-does it shall be... I'm starting to imagine now what it'll be like to go on a tater-fueled ramble through the woods.

Neil, there was a rest in a nice quiet piney spot, so that may have been restorative as well... it all works with the food, I suppose.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 7:35 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
Siren, I saw the film, The Tin Drum, looong ago... there was a little German kid that fell down the stairs and that changed his life? i really don't remember more than that, except he was with a little girl through the film.

:roll:

Quote:
except he was with a little girl through the film.

Is that the part you remember? little boyz and little girlz???
:roll:
The Sol-dieeeer,
the escaping soldier
h i d e s under the
Lady's Dre-esss while she's sitting in the Po-tay-toe field
eatin' po-tay-toes
aaaand then she gets . . .
. . . .
wait for it . . .

goosed.

:lol:

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 8:11 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Frozen,

I like your holistic interpretation.

The Tin Drum just about made me puke twice but was truly a great movie. So was Das Boot.

The Meaning of Life almost made me puke too, but it made me laugh til my gut hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 2:01 pm 

The very best source for energy before prolonged activity is a complex carb. Best sources are either a Sweet Potatoe or Red Potatoe (low on glycemic as well). I learned this from my Trainer who knows a thing or two about this - she's also a nutritionist and athlete.
Before training with her I have either and when I don't do I ever notice it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 11:05 am 

I've taken boiled white potatoes (the common PEI type) on an eight-hour paddle and another four-hour hike since... they're filling and seem to provide good energy. Red potatoes would only be different in the color of the skin (is there something I'm missing with these?) and sweet potatoes are another thing to try.

In both trips I started out on an empty stomach, so about halfway through, the need to stop and have dinner was being felt. Potatoes seem to provide enough energy, and are probably more filling since on an empty stomach the need to fill up seems to be there.

Post subject: Red vs White
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 11:43 am 

Hi Frozentripper,

The Red potatoe is lower on GI scale and has more nutrients than it's white counterpart. It's the color of the skin, red/orange veggies have more nutrients.
The Sweet Potatoe is even better with it's orange color, it's loaded with beta carotene. Cut a spud and put it in water, see the starch come out of the white spuds more than the red. Both are healthy, one more so than the other.

Joan