View topic - Using a Charcoal Starter as a camp / canoe stove...

It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 14th, 2008, 11:04 am 

I was in my garage yesterday and picked up my round charcoal starter..you know the ones with the handle that you light charcoal in by placing a sheet of newspaper under it, lighting it, and then having the bin of charcoal above the newspaper ignite from that. I thought that it could easily be converted into a wood burning stove for canoe trips or even backpacking as they are very lightweight. I drilled some holes along the rim and bent some coat hanger wire into the shape of tent pegs with the little hook on the end so they don't slip all the way through and inserted them in parallel about every inch or so across the top. These would hold a pot or small fry pan or you could just use the rim for larger pots or fry pans. Then I cut a "V" shaped opening in the side near the top to feed in sticks, pinecones, twigs, whatever and not have to remove the pot or fry pan while cooking to add more fuel. I added a few holes below the top rim for extra air and you have a great stove for cooking. I also wired some hardware cloth mesh right to the top of the charcoal shelf to contain ashes and little twigs as they burn and I would also place some heavy duty foil under the entire burner to contain any dropping sparks, to reflect heat, and to be "no-trace". Also, if you cut a Duraflame fireplace log in half (or just some sticks lying around), drop it in and light it, the charcoal starter makes a great "contained" campfire and will burn for a very long time for heat, light, and warmth. K-Mart sells them for $4.99 here in the States and I know they are available everywhere...not a bad investment for a versatile stove. Any thoughts or improvements????

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2008, 1:04 pm 

well, this is a nice idea. i should try it at next camping.

also in one of the survivor man episodes he reused the square fuel container into a fire cary or something like that, anyway i just remembered i have one that i used the white gas for my burner, and i could reuse the can in a very similar way as you described, although i'm not sure if it can handle the heat for long like the charcoal starter canister does.

again nice idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2008, 7:13 pm 

I think it sounds like a great idea. Have you tried it?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2009, 11:14 am 

Since I originally posted this, I have used my charcoal starter several times on various trips. It works wonderfully! You can use a bit larger sticks with it so you're not having to feed it as often and it burns hot. I love the contained campfire aspect of this "stove"...it makes a great place to gather before lights out and you can burn some pretty decent sized wood in it for campfire use. It doesn't weigh much either. It's actually good as a true cooking stove (real food...not just "add boiling water" stuff). I've cooked bacon, eggs, some tasty trout, etc. with excellent results.