View topic - What are the best freeze dried meals?

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 3:05 pm 

We're planning a longer canoe trip in the barrens this year and to keep weight down I've decided to pack some freeze dried dinners for our gang of 6 adults.

Anyone got any suggestions for GREAT freeze dried encounters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 4:36 pm 

I can't remember which ones I have tried but they need to be supplimented in order to fill you up.

Phil Cotton uses some on his trips (see Wabakimi Project)and they are quite good, he also uses stuff from Bauly's(?) which is fantastic.

A dehydrator and a little bit of planning is the best choice IMHO, but that is not what you re asking for. :oops:

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 5:32 pm 

The best food to take along is the food you normally eat at home. All you need is make a larger amount of food than normal and then dehydrate it. Of course most of this would be in the one pot wonder category. With 6 people you could be looking at 2 different one pot wonders. There is a cookbook out now for just this reason. The cookbook, A Fork in the Trail, can be ordered through Chapters.Indigo.ca or Amazon USA.

Bill

www.friendsoftemagami.org
www.friendsofchiniguchi.com
www.wildernesscleanup.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 7:09 pm 

As mentioned freeze-drying your own is usually the tastiest. But the commercially available stuff has gotten pretty good. We've used Backpackers Pantry stuff, and Cache Lake stuff. Neither is perfect, but they cook up quickly for those nights when your forced to set up camp late, and you don't want to spend an hour cooking dinner. I always supplement with a variety of dried fruit, nuts, carbohydrates (rice, bread, etc).

I'd recommend you place an order for a few... try them out on your stove, so you can judge for yourself. Spend some time to check the nutritional info and see if it will work for you...

Finally, the better stuff is more expensive... just like better food is usually more expensive than the stuff you buy at your local grocer.

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 7:16 pm 

We have had great luck with Lyosan, from LaChute, Quebec. Richard used to sell this line from his online store. Great recipes. My teens and I both love the selections.

Since then, I have found it only in one retail place in Ontario, the Ottawa MEC store. Lyosan has a website but not sure if they will sell online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 9:47 pm 

I'll give you two of the BEST freeze-dried brands we've tried....and this after trying majority of what's out there:
Bauly's - For eggs and veggies
Mountain House - Main Entree's

To cut down on cost, we usually supplement freeze-dried meals with a side of instant mash, rice or noodles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 11:09 pm 

I agree with Zelandonii...Bauly Hash Browns with onions are to die for..and with the scrambled egg mix and some bacon an excellent meal.

The veggies can be used to supplement the Mountain House entrees. Those entrees also benefit from an instant potato side dish and a veggie (best from Bauly) or an instant rice dish(tons in the grocery store) or dumplings from a European deli..

Post subject: Mountain House
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 5:49 pm 

I prefer Mountain House over most other brands. I also find those with rice have a better texture than those with noodles. Some of my favorites are:
Sea Food Chowder
Chili Mac with Beef
Honey Lime Chicken
Cheese Encilada Ranchero

I have had a few meals from Enertia Trails and have been pleased with what I ate. Unfortunately, I do not remember what they were.