View topic - Food list possibilities

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Food list possibilities
PostPosted: March 6th, 2008, 8:25 pm 

Every time I go out, food options seem like the most work. I know where my gear is and pulling it together just takes a bit of time. But, planning meals seems like the biggest hassle. Does anyone know of a list of reasonable tripping food ideas? A kind of a list of possible meals in order to make a menu from. I'm of the get it from the local grocer speed, no space man food or freeze dried organic who-knows-what.

Marvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2008, 9:31 pm 

We need a few tripping details too.

Are you a get-up-and-go kinda tripper or is there Lazy days planned as well.
Do you cook for you or for a group?
Are you Ultralight or a Cooler Carrying Heavy Weight?
Any Dietary concerns?
Do you cook at home or what are your fav. meals....

Those kinda things are nice to know as well.

For me , If I'm on a trip on the go, consider the first night a Luxury meal and maybe the morning breakfast too. Steak and Potato kinda grub.

After that well you should think about what you like Breakfast, Lunch ( if you like) and Dinners.

I myself don't mind powdered eggs, for example but porridge is good too or a homemade Bannock with Jam and Butter, hmmmm!
There's Granola cereals as well.

Lunch stops could be a PB and J Bagel with a few delicious snacks to boost the "Sugar Fix"! you can get.

BTW, Snacks should be good and plenty of since they keep you both energized and eating when maybe you don't feel like a heavy meal plan.
Gorp, Cheese, Pepperettes, Dried Meats, nuts, Chips like Pringles carry in packs better, energy bars, chocolate, etc....etc.... Carrots, Celery, Tomatoes ( Don't forget the ruffage!)

Drinks - there's plenty of Crystals out there , experiment with all of them!
:wink:

Dinner's - Pasta comes to mind as a easy make meal, but maybe Since your a quick meal planner add Tuna Helper, Chicken and Rice, Thai Noodles, Beans and I'm not sure where to go further, other than the Myccr Food and recipes section. Even hit a Outdoor store and buy a couple of pre-packaged meals, just to have as an emergency meal if need be and eat one! just to be sure you try it, you might like it and find it easier in your planning.

Desserts - Make a cake, muffins, Apple Crumble, fresh fruit like apples can stay a while

If all else fails, plan to do the grocery shopping and spend some time in the aisles to see what is available. or pickup a few outdoor cookbooks and invest in a dehydrator make some food you like you can't find easily or dry the fruits, veg'sor meats that are seasonal and therefore a little more cost effective on the pocket book.

Quick note as well - you can also buy ready made meals before you set off Things like a Sub, or make a sandwich to eat before you go can save on a meal plan while your in the bush.

Even a good "Greasy Spoon" once you come back out will relieve the need to worry about that meal as well, that way you can talk to your buddies on how the trip went and enjoy a cool drink and someone else prepares your meal.

Anyway, just thoughts

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2008, 8:22 am 

MH:
If tripping is going to be a part of your life you might want to take a look at some outdoor cooking books.
Backpacker Magazine has published books by Dorcas Miller called "Backcountry Cooking" available from Amazon.
The Well Fed Backpacker by June Fleming is worth looking at and may be available in MEC stores.
And Laurie March , (name edited out by CCR software) "******" just recently published one, "A Fork in the Trail ". You could contact her at her Outdoor Adventures Canada website.

The easiest way to get started is to take a trip through a Bulk Food Barn to see what might be available in there that you could utilize and also go through your favorite supermarket with a view to taking some time to look at what is on the shelves that you don't normally buy and think about the possibilities of using it in your outdoor meals.

The next thing would be to condsider buying a dehydrator and start off with making dried Ground Beef or dried Ground Chicken.
Now if you had ground beef what would you do with it? You could add some veggies and rice to it or maybe make some dried pasta sauce and then bring along some spaghetti or other pasta etc.etc. You could also just buy a box of hamburger helper and use that with your ground beef. On the other hand if you are a vegan type of person, you could buy some dried tofu that simulates Ground Beef etc.

If you know you are going to be out travelling every year for several or more days, then just plan to make food drying a part of your routine over the winter months. Pretty soon you will have enough meals or dried ingredients prepared for the summer months and it will not be such a hassle anymore.
Make a list and keep it on a spreadsheet where you can add notes and decide if the meals you had last year are good enough to take again or do you need to develop a different recipe.etc.
Also, as Georgi points out ,read through the food discussions here on CCR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2008, 8:56 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I'm going to assume that you've perused the 25 pages of threads here on this forum already. :wink:

Have you checked out the "Food and Recipes" tab up above?
http://www.myccr.com/SectionTechnique/M ... recipe.php

Knowing if you plan on carrying a cooler of some sort for fresh food makes answering your question a bit difficult. It would also help to know if you dehydrate your own food.

Phil Kenny has a list of possibilities on his website:
http://kermitadventures.homestead.com/Food.html

And there's some tips and suggestions over at Algonquin Adventures, under the "Interior" tab
http://www.algonquinadventures.com/camping/cpfr4401.htm

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2008, 12:59 pm 

Right now I am in winter mode and new to it at that. So I'm trying to figure out what works. I haven't changed my tune much from what I do in summer. I'm going solo and it is just two nights. I'm pulling a pulk, and 'lukewarm' tenting it. (Catalytic heater for the evening tent time.) So far my winter trips have focused on can I stand the temperatures. Now that this will be my third time out and two nighting it, I'll have a bit more time to deal with food.

Menu
Breakfast - 3pks instant oatmeal, can of pears
Lunch - thermos of soup prepared at breakfast, cheese & crackers
Supper - Sidekick or instant rice & Jerky. (home made by local butcher)
Snacks - dried fruit, peanuts/cashews.

No cooler. No odoriferous meats. Not a gorp fan, I like the ingredients, just not together. When boating or pulking, I'll allow myself a few cans. If I was carrying, they would be out. I'm not ultralight, but pretending to be. <grin> It needs to come out of one pot.

The hitch for me at the moment is I've given up processed sugars for lent. So that wipes out my hot chocolate and chocolate bars that I would usually take along.

I'm not interested in bringing the whole kitchen along. But good tasting verity is important to me, so I'm wiling to do more, rather than less to go there. My disappointment is that this is the same menu no matter when I've tripped.

Marvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2008, 3:37 pm 

Quote:
But, planning meals seems like the biggest hassle.

This problem bugged me enough I wrote software to help plan and manage it:

http://www.CampingFoodPlanner.com

I use it to plan the meals for all my trips. Saves time packing the right amounts for stuff.