View topic - Candied Apple Bannock

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Candied Apple Bannock
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 11:43 pm 

So I have stopped fighting it and let my inner ******* come out and tried working up a couple of recipes since I got into dehydrating. This one worked fantastic at home but I waited till I had a chance to test it on a campfire.

Candied Apple Bannock!

Ingredients (bannock for one person)

1 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp lard
1/4 tbsp salt

These ingredients are packaged into a ziplock at home before heading out

one dehydrated apple in slices
3 packets vanilla sugar
4 tbsp sugar
3 ounces of medicinal spirits
for this attempt I used St. Remy Brandy, I have tried Courvoisier and Grand Marnier, both excellent!
Dab of butter

First, pour 2/3 of the medicinal spirit into a cup and sip...enjoy the flavor and continue to sip as needed! [8D]

Next

Add remaining spirit and a small drop of water to a ziplock and toss in apples to let them soak up the flavor!

Open packet of Bannock mix and add 2 packets vanilla sugar. Add small amounts of water and knead in ziplock to form a dough, separate dough into two equal sized balls and flatten to form each into a thin pancake.

Sip the cup of spirit!

Place the flavored apples onto one of the dough peices, put the second dough on top and seal the edges, the leftover liquid from the ziplock of apples will help seal the dough together over the apples!

Place two pans over the fire.
In the first add 4 tbsp sugar and the remaining vanilla sugar, aong with a quarterish or so cup of water and bring to a boil, let this simmer till it has reduced by about half, while this is reducing, melt butter in second pan and place bannock dough in. When bannock is browned on bottom, turn the pan on its side in the coals to finish baking. When bannock is done remove and let cool slightly, by now the sugar mixture should be reduced to about half and will be forming big bubbles

(you could at this point let the sugar stay on the heat till it caramelizes but I have never had the patience to wait. Spoon the hot sugar liquid on top of the bannock and let cool!

This sugar liquid will crystallize into a rock candy within seconds of being taken off the heat, so add two cups of water to remaining sugar mix and let boil again to make the cleanup much easier to deal with!

Enjoy!

Kirk

[color=

Last edited by canuckcamper06 on July 29th, 2008, 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 8:59 am 

Looks like an entire meal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 9:44 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Looks like an entire meal!

LRC....with a fresh, strong, cuppa Joe ....it was an entire meal....! Bannock is a belly filler!

Kirk

[color=

Post subject: subject
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 7:43 pm 

Looks really good Kirk will have to give that a try.