View topic - how many calories ?

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how many calories ?
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 8:37 am 

We always take prepackaged meals on our trips. Some of the companies are producing much better meals than "the freeze-dried hockey pucks" of 35 years ago.
My comment relates to the calorie content.
The main meal dishes vary from a low of about 200 calories/ serving to a high of 450 in some of the Harvest Foodworks meals. Some companies don't tell you how many.
We have found that 200 is definitely way too small after an active day.
Why don't all the companies report the calorie content? It is important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 8:59 am 

I am close to 250 pounds and on a really active day I look for about 3000. So ten meals at 250 per would be a tad too little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 9:05 am 

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... t=calories

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 9:16 am 

There are other ways to boost the calorie count in your meals. Add a good portion of olive oil to your meals, even in your oatmeal.

Use the water from boiling pasta to make hot chocolate. The Chocolate hides the starchy taste very very well.

Dried sausage, pemmican and high fat snacks such as nuts will also help boost the calorie intake

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 9:25 am 

Sodium and Carbohydrates are just as important, so I'm learning; I would hesitate to say that Carbs is more important than Calories in my opinion.

Especially for an active day, your body is looking for Carbs that will give you energy throughout the activity. Not only that but your better off putting Carbs that will keep your motor running and not quick sugars that give you a high then burn out.....

Stick to your gut Carbs , like porridge in the morning, beans and potato are good for the body. Whole grains are better than instant....

Aside from that, depending on body, weight and things you can find out through a doc or nutritionist are: men need about 700 Calories to a decent meal, ladies, maybe a little less , a snack should be about 200 Calories and
for a guy about 200 lbs the carb intake is about 240 grams for an active lifestyle. Work more, Carb more.....

Don't forget the Carrots, Apples, Gorp and things you can carry to add freshness to your dehydrated plans if you can.

Watch the Sodium ( salt ) 2400mg is all we should have in a day, which basically means put the salt away and eat what's in the food which might shock you as to how much packaged food has in it. Dehydrate at home then you know what's going into your meal!

Th good thing is your going out to enjoy some relax time. Bring what you like and eat more than you would at home, but do so in some moderation......
Take a look at the food guide here:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide ... tit_e.html

or talk with someone you might know who has diabetes, which the food guide was based on.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]