View topic - share your oatmeal recipe

It is currently November 29th, 2020, 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 8:47 am 

Oatmeal is as a traditional food that deserves some accolades for its longevity and medicinal values. It is generally bland, homogenous and has an acquired taste.

What are oatie devotees doing to spice up their manna from heaven?
What brand and style oats do you use?

I use steel cut 'Irish Oats", needs to cook about 1/2 an hour.
Sprinkle some dried cranberries in with the oatmeal while it cooks.
In my enameled cup I pour a splash of maple syrup, a couple shakes of ground cinamon, a handful of blueberries and sometimes add ground walnuts and almonds.

Want to drop your total cholesterol? Eat your oatmeal.

Joe - total cholesterol 143

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 8:57 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Non-cook, non-gourmet - - Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Maple & Brown Sugar flavour. :D

Add a dash of salt.....a dash.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 9:14 am 

I love steel cut oats but they give me heartburn.

I use thick rolled oats from the local food co-op. I don't know where they get them from but they are always fresh and tasty.

I put about a cup per serving into a colander to sift out the fine powder. Then I put about a tablespoon of sesame oil into a fry pan and lightly pan-roast the oats until they give off the aroma I like. Then I add salt (dime-sized pile in my palm) and start to add the water a little at a time.

If I add raisins they go in at this time. I keep adding water and cooking until the oats are tender to the taste but not mushy. Nothing makes me gag quicker than a mouth full of gelatinous goo sliding down my throat.

In addition to raisins I like fresh apples, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, toasted almonds, cinnamon...just about anything my instincts tell me.

On top goes a big pat of sweet butter, lots of maple syrup or brown sugar, and fresh heavy cream if I've got it (otherwise I use milk). I don't stir it up but prefer to eat the oats and let various amounts of additives sneek into each spoonful.

As you can see by my list of additives, I don't give a damn about no cholesterol. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 10:19 am 

:)

Quaker Rolled Oats (large)
+ apples slices fried in butter with cinnamon and nutmeg

are added almost add the end of the 10 minute cooking
and I have to read the bag about the Water to Oats ratio for one serving
= a tricky equation to remember.
That's for Cap'n, :oops:
I use the instant stuff like Barbara,
Apple and Cinnamon
or Peaches and Cream.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 10:33 am 

No oatmeal for me - the wife hates it and thus got out of the habit. Even used to make my own granola.

Now, it's boiled 8-grain cereal or cornmeal; amazing how little cereal can produce so much food in the pot. Add brown sugar, liberally.... :wink:

(Not all 8-grain cereals taste the same. Some stores package better mixes than others.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 10:43 am 

O goody, a grits lover in Erhard...I shoulda picked up a selection of different kinds (there ARE different kinds) down South.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 11:18 am 

At home, organic rolled oats from the co-op. Per serving - 1 cup oats to 1-1/2 cup water, boil till most of the water is gone, serve with small handful of dried strawberries or raisins and enough organic maple syrup to sweeten to taste. Served with 2 pieces organic wheat toast with organic butter and organic strawberry jam, 2 organic free range eggs from my own flock, a big glass of water and a cup of Luzianne black tea. This is one of two meals I eat each day. Sometimes I have the oats and eggs for breakfast or oats and home cured bacon for supper. The other meal each day is homemade beef stew or chilli or something like that. So far I've lost 23 pounds following this diet and I have energy to spare at the end of the day. My only disappointment is my hair didn't grow back yet :-?

On the trail I'm pretty much a Jet Boil cook so I use 2 packets of Nature''s Path Organic Instant Oatmeal. I like the Multigrain Raisin Spice and the Apple Cinnamon. Sweeten with a shot glass of Organic maple syrup. One or two cups Luzianne black tea. Put the oats in the bowl and pour on one cup of boiling water, let set for couple minutes then enjoy. Sometimes this is breakfast and sometimes it is supper. Takes about 3 minutes to fix and there's no dishes to clean up except for my lexan bowl and lexan spoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 11:38 am 

just a note - the more instant the oatmeal is... the more reduced the nutritional value is

I like old-fashioned rolled oats (I will use instant on a trip though) with medjool dates, toasted walnuts and maple sugar... mmmmm

but even better - if you want a complete protein and nutritional boost... use quinoa (it has to be rinsed for 3 minutes - which I do at home and then I toast it to enhance the flavor)... it's an excellent backcountry food and much better for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 4:00 pm 

Any multi-minute cooking oats, a couple of scrapes off of a real nutmeg (they're size of the last joint of your thumb, easily packable) and 1/4cup raisins per person. 1 cup H20, 1/3 cup oats. The nutmeg's the thing. :)

Ralph

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 4:20 pm 

******* wrote:
just a note - the more instant the oatmeal is... the more reduced the nutritional value is

I like old-fashioned rolled oats (I will use instant on a trip though) with medjool dates, toasted walnuts and maple sugar... mmmmm

but even better - if you want a complete protein and nutritional boost... use quinoa (it has to be rinsed for 3 minutes - which I do at home and then I toast it to enhance the flavor)... it's an excellent backcountry food and much better for you

itching, itching
8)
Quote:

OK Dr. Fork-
like I'm going to stand around stirring and paying attention to a pot of flakes
and using gallons of water to rinse that Noah-what-stuff, what is that anyways?
something like Cus-Cus? More mystery fud.
Gimme a potato anyday.

I cain't have everything nutritious!!!
That's for those Granola People who want to live to 100,
I just want to rip open a pack,
pour what's left of the Coffee hot water
do my makeup while it sets
and then wolf down contents, pausing to enjoy those freezedried yummy bits of apples and peaches.
f i n i t o.

too much goo to clean up too,
I guess you have to be Scottish.

:o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 5:24 pm 

actually Quinoa is from South America and it is one of the few high sources of all the aminos... and it tastes good :P

you rinse the saponin off at home - or if you look carefully - some brands come pre-rinsed... you don't do the rinsing at camp - geesh even I don't like that much work in camp

it also makes a nice salad with some herbs and citrus

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 7:01 pm 

I like Quaker uninstant oats with King Arthur Harvest Grains blend (just a little) thrown in. It is oat berries, wheat flakes, rye flakes , sunflower seeds, millet, flax seeds and poppy seeds. Yes it sounds like bird food but I add it to wheat flour at home to bake bread and its really good in oatmeal too.

Sweeten with maple syrup or your choice of dried fruit. There are now in the supermarkets packages of mango, strawberries, blackberries, cherries cranberries and good ole raisins too. Some others I cant recall ..avoid the banana chips..most of the ones I find are fried in palm oil! You can dehydrate your own bananas

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 7:06 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
I like Quaker uninstant oats with King Arthur Harvest Grains blend (just a little) thrown in. It is oat berries, wheat flakes, rye flakes , sunflower seeds, millet, flax seeds and poppy seeds. Yes it sounds like bird food but I add it to wheat flour at home to bake bread and its really good in oatmeal too.

Sweeten with maple syrup or your choice of dried fruit. There are now in the supermarkets packages of mango, strawberries, blackberries, cherries cranberries and good ole raisins too. Some others I cant recall ..avoid the banana chips..most of the ones I find are fried in palm oil! You can dehydrate your own bananas

that sounds delicious LRC... I'll have to order some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 7:23 pm 

I can't imagine anything but instant oatmeal out on the trail. Peaches and cream is my favorite. Easy to clean up. Pour some hot water into the dirty bowl/cup and stick in a tea bag. Use the tea bag to clean the bowl and then drink the tea.

I have been known to put a little more kick into the oatmeal by adding a broken up Kashi bar to the oatmeal before pouring in the hot water/ Seven whole grains and tasty too!

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 7:41 pm 

Instant oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and anything else I have handy.

Oatmeal, it's the right thing to do. :wink: