View topic - Safe to cook soup directly in the can?

It is currently October 24th, 2020, 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 10:13 pm 

I tried to find info on this on the net but came up mostly empty. Does anyone else do this while camping- warm up a can of ready-to-eat soup by just cracking the lid and placing it by the edge of the fire for a bit? Sure is easy. I am a little worried about chemicals and metals leaching into the food though. But no one seems to have any concrete facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 10:49 pm 

Can't get ya any concrete facts on this ...but I have done it for decades...especially during the winter....and a lot of folks still use a coffee can with a wire bail as a cook pot....peas, soup, beans and pork, corn (canned corn on the cob, anyone remember those besides me?)......no ill effects as far as I can tell.....
Except for the short term memory loss,
and the short term memory loss everything seems to be fine.

:lol:

Kirk

[color=

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 7:06 am 

Always heated beans in the can but now I'm a bit concerned about the linings they use. I believe they are some sort of an epoxy-like material.

Heating to boiling should be fine as they were already subjected to temps above that in canning, but I'd be leery about cooking at frying temps, at least until someone has more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 7:25 am 

There was a big spew on the news last night about cans being lined with BPA, the same chemical that almost caused the demise of the Nalgene bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 7:51 am 

I'm sure it's very individual can dependent. There are alot of cans that don't have linings (coffee, some soup cans). But it alot of beans, fruits, juices, and some soups have a plastic linter to protect the can from corrosion from the inside. I suspect BK is correct that the heating of a can with a lining simply to boiling won't have any greater chronic effect than the canning process.

You might want to open a can of whatever you intend to heat before you leave to make sure that the can you are bringing does or doesn't have a liner, because the big canning companies buy cans from many manufacturers and you can have cans with the same labels from the same processors where some have linings, others don't or the linings are different colors and could be slightly different.

PK

Post subject: Good timing,
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 4:17 pm 

SensRanger,

Funny you should ask ... there was a story about thatt on CTV news last night ... end result was that it poses a health risk. One doctor said the risk is minimal but Health Canada are reviewing this as well.