View topic - Wife's 1st Trip Help me plan a menu

It is currently September 15th, 2019, 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 1:44 pm 

Rick,

I got interrupted (darn work) and forgot to respond to you.

I like tortellini too. We've done that before.

One of the best meals we did was with Scott and Kathy Warner on Welkin Lake in WCPP.

Dave and I provided the Lake Trout and Red Beans and Rice, with Scott and Kathy providing a fresh sprout salad, humus and Berry Bannock, and pre dinner drinks.

That was one of the best ever.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 4:24 pm 

Jerry R. wrote:
Back from the Albany???J

The Albany was a crazy ride. The water levels up there are way high. Because of this, our bush pilot directed us to take the lower branch. The river was big water moving incredibly fast. We had to carefully work our way down, eddy out, scout, etc…and ended up bush-whacking around a lot of the rapids because they were nothing but meat grinders. A lot of the scouting and portage trails were either washed out or non-existent. Once we got back to main branch we were able to pick up trails again. Many areas were simply flooded over – we frequently paddled over 5ft bushes. The river near Minimiska usually has sand banks on both sides, and is where pilots like to pick up canoeists. This trip there was no beach, just swamped willows. We ended up passing the night in an Indian moose camp.

Apart from a few mishaps (one guy lost his carbon-fiber camera tri-pod in the drink, another experienced an allergic reaction to some food and had to get acquainted with the EPI pen, and another took an unnecessary swim down a class IV rapid) it was great trip. The walleye were insane, the water falls stunning and the grub was better than average. What else is there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 7:56 pm 

Mike,

Do you have pictures, I'd love to see some.

The Berens was just like that the last time we were on it too. It makes things very interesting!!! Lining canoes down the portage trail is an art form!!

J

PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 10:19 pm 

Jerry R. wrote:
In August I'm taking my wife on her first wilderness canoeing trip.
I have a few ideas, but nothing is set in stone and if someone has a great idea, I'd love to give it a try.Let's here some ideas.
J

It isn't just the food but the thought that counts Jerry. Here are a few suggestions:

Things to say :clap:

- honey, just sit and sip your wine while I amaze you with the taste of the trippin' life
- this is your treat, let me do everything
- no peeking, i want to do it all and surprise you

Things not to say :tsk:

- since this is your first time, you should do it all
- I cook every trip, it's your turn!
- help out or don't eat, them's the rules of the bush
- if I have to cook, you clean up the dishes and the thunderbox

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 5:45 am 

Mark,

Now that's the truth!!

If I work hard when the kids are with me, this trip will produce even greater amounts of effort. On the other hand, I like the work, and seeing as whom the work is for, I'll do it gladly.

Dish washing is the chore I really detest, I'll do almost anything to get out of that one. On this trip, I see pruny hands on the horizon of my future!!!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 10:30 am 

Jerry R. wrote:
Dish washing is the chore I really detest, I'll do almost anything to get out of that one. On this trip, I see pruny hands on the horizon of my future!!!

J

Anything???

Bring Barry, He doesn't mind doing dishes.

X

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 10:33 am 

That was "almost anything"!!!

Barry can do the dishes on another trip.
He can wash the dishes and I'll mix the drinks!!!

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 12:23 pm 

Then there's pizza topped with squirrel, squirrel sausages---gives a whole new twist to 'catch of the day'! :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 12:33 pm 

Harold,

Mary, my wife just started liking gin and tonics lately, do you think the taste of squirrel might be to similar to serve with a gin and tonic??

If so what would be the perfect beverage to serve with squirrel??

This is getting complicated!! :roll:

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 1:11 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Jerry R. wrote:
If so what would be the perfect beverage to serve with squirrel??

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 1:23 pm 

Naaah, why ruin the tast of perfectly good moonshine?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Food for float trips...
PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 8:43 am 

My wife and I float NW Alaska rivers each Fall. I try to make good meals for her so she will be happy. Her happy = repeat trips. Key ingredients to making her happy are keeping her warm and having good food. Everything else takes care of itself. Below are some examples of our food. We float 10-14 days and don't take a cooler. If you are able to have a cooler, your options would be much greater than ours of course.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. I just placed a big order myself for an upcoming NW Alaska float in Sept. They ship fast. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mouse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.

If you are a wine drinker, check out the French Rabbit wines that come in soft sided containers. Very durable container and surprisingly good wine. Three or four choices of wine from them. Then get the lexan wine glasses from GSI. They are sold on www.campmor.com among other places. The cool thing about these glasses is that they break down easily so the stem is stored in the wine glass. Makes for easy packing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 10:15 am 

Jerry R. wrote:
let alone eating something closly resembling the bait!!!!!
J

There goes your evening!

Bman

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 10:35 am 

I'll probably start doing the shopping this week.

I'll pick up the frozen and dry stuff and leave the fresh for just before we leave.

This is what I have for the first three meals, one lunch , dinner and breakfast spanning the first two days.

Dinner. Grilled eye of chuck steak, sauteed mushrooms, peppers and onions, fresh green beans. Something chocolate for desert.

Lunch on way in: Made night before, wrap sandwiches, fresh carrots, and something like a salted nut roll to top it off.

Breakfast 1st morning. Fresh mellon, bagles coffee.

How am I doing so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 12:24 pm 

Sounds good - can I come too? oh, I guess that would spoil the ambience!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!