View topic - the best grill of all-and colllapsible fire boxes/stoves

It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 12:17 am 

I often use a firebox (the small Tentipi model, but I'm drooling over http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/fireboxes.htm as the Tentipi one is slowly rusting away). Less impact on the land (I've even once set it up on rocks over water, about as fire-safe as you can get), very efficient use of firewood, and when you count fuel it comes in ahead of a stove in weight after a week or so.

When not using the firebox I use a tripod and a small hook (S-shaped, two branched sticks and a scarf joint) and some high quality hemp cordage for suspending the pot(s). Personally I prefer the instant adjustability of the hook (add or remove cord wraps around the hook to raise or lower the pot), and I can even make one from random sticks found in the bush should I want to.

I think it is a culture difference, the grills are quite uncommon here, only starting to be seen in the outdoor stores the last 5-10 years.

And if raiding the dump, pick the oven grills rather than the fridge ones; the coating on the fridge ones may not be healthy until it has been totally burnt off (don't inhale the fumes!).

Photo site: httpp://www.hunter-gatherer.org/images/

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 12:29 pm 

Hey Par,
Why not drool over the Black Spruce Gear firebox, I make them, so of course I am biased, but, in my opinion, the best deal around in stainless steel, precision engineering and made in Canada.

Check them out at: http://www.BlackSpruceGear.ca

I would love to say I have sold one in Sweden!

Cheers, (Proscht)
Art.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 2:15 pm 

Clarkeaw wrote:
Hey Par,
Why not drool over the Black Spruce Gear firebox, I make them, so of course I am biased, but, in my opinion, the best deal around in stainless steel, precision engineering and made in Canada.

Check them out at: http://www.BlackSpruceGear.ca

I would love to say I have sold one in Sweden!

I like the look of it, I like the measurements (the one thing I don't like with the Yukon I liked to is the square shape making it hard to use two pots, or even narrowish ones wiothout a grill). But 2.25 kg is quite a bit of weight (my current one is below 1 kg, the Ti Yukon I'm drooling gently over is about the same (but a bit pricier than yours).

Just out of interest; what would postage be to Sweden? I do like the rectangular shape, maybe sufficiently to order one. Actually, used one would be ideal (less risk of customs wanting money from me).

Photo site: httpp://www.hunter-gatherer.org/images/

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 11:04 pm 

Par,
I'll respond via personal email.
Art.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2010, 10:22 pm 

Clarkeaw wrote:
Wow ! 188 grams. I will definetly have to look into manufacturing my grills using hollow tube stainless steel.

Has anyone experienced warpage of the grill in intense heat?

Art

Not even the hint of warpage.....four years going on the voyageur grill right now....

[color=

PostPosted: June 1st, 2010, 2:42 pm 

I'm impressed! Also keen on seeing if I can manufacture using hollows tube SS here in Canada. This, of course, would be on a really micro scale, as my current stoves are done now.

Thanks for posting the pics.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 6:37 am 

I might as well add a photo too. :D

This photo of my Purcell Trench Traveler model, was taken 2 weeks ago during a hiking trip on the Superior coast. All 143 grams of it! (with nylon carrying case sleeve, total weight is 188g – Since I started hiking late in life, I am now counting grams and starting to cut weight in my gear).

For users of fire who may be interested: this is my best type of set up for cooking. Grill kept low and small pieces can be fed in. Very economical on wood. Big reflector rock (if it happens to be available), on the back also draws air up. The important thing is to try and seal it up on 3 sides and get the back higher than the open front. Air is taken in from the open bottom, through the coals and then up the back like a chimney effect.

The split driftwood pieces in the photo are on the large side, and were that wonderful "bonus" fuel we always look for in the Boreal – perfectly dry, beaver peeled poplar driftwood, split to fit under the grill. Burns even and beautifully. But you can get by with a really low set and feeding with twigs, which I have done many times up in the treeless arctic using "driftwood" willow twigs gathered along beaches.

I don't use my grill for grilling since I carry dried food on trips (although I could use it to grill fresh fish or other critters). I use it for pot support. Purcell Trench also makes a grill with super light stainless steel mesh welded on, designed for grilling fish and other fine foods. :D

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 8:16 am 

HOOP_ wrote:
I might as well add a photo too. :D

Me too. :D :lol: :thumbup:

This is the Streamside Packer. I bought it with the intention of grilling fish. Sadly my abilitity to catch fish is such that it has never been used for this purpose. No warpage of any kind.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 8:34 am 

Very interesting. 18" x 7" would fit the Black Spruce Gear stove perfectly. Has anyone tried these grills with a firebox rather than an open fire as pictured?

Art.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2010, 1:09 pm 

Photos? Did someone say photos...?

This firebox is recycled ducting and the grill is recycled from store display racks (sides).
I used to have a grill that covered the whole top of the firebox but found I always turned it a quarter turn so I could feed fuel in the back of the box and not burn my food up front. Now I don't bother with a full size grill. If I have steaks or fish then I take the 6"x16" grill, if it's just smokies or solo then I would take the 3"x16" size.

They weigh a little more but are free and pull something out of the landfill. You can find unlimited sizes and can customize your grills for different trips.

All this being said, those Purcell grills are very nice.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 7:24 am 

HOOP_ wrote:
Purcell Trench Grill is one of those rare manufacturers that totally revolutionizes a type of gear, setting the quality and function bar so much higher.

I couldn't agree more. I had used several grills over the years and got this grill last year. I was totally impressed in every way. Sometimes you get what you pay for. This is one of those times. Three of my most prized items on my gear list are my Gransfors Bruks small forest axe, my Kermit camp chairs, and my Purcell Trench grill.

-Dan

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 9:38 am 

I got a Purcell Trench Grill for my trip this summer and I can't believe I ever used anything else. It is the best grill money can buy.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 3:47 pm 

I didnt think a low tech item like a grill would create such enthusiasm.
I typically never pack a grill since I can always find one on a site somewhere, that is unti l discovered that when folks start cleaning up sites they take everything including grills so I have been skunked a couple of times lately and have been in-market to buy.

thanks for all the photos and the information, today I learned something!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 9:16 pm 

Another happy trencher, certainly one of the best pieces of equipment I own. And owner/designer/maker Don Tryon is a hell of a nice guy to boot.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 12:54 am 

Yes he is. And quite the outdoorsman as well. Talked with him before ordering my grill from him. Awesome guy and a great product.